- Text Size +

I woke up feeling very nauseous. I sat up in bed and my stomach felt even worse. “Nick, wake up. I need a trash can.”

He jumped up and ran into the bathroom. He quickly brought me in the trash can. As he was handing it to me, I puked all over his hands. I looked up at him and started to cry. I saw him leave the room. I knew he was grossed out and ticked. I was sobbing and could hardly breathe.

“Breathe, Ashton calm down.” Nick sat beside me and wrapped me in his arms. “Shh, don’t cry. It’s okay.”

“I thought you hated me.” I cried. “I didn’t mean to throw up on you.”

“Shh…I could never hate you. I had to wash my hands before I comforted you. We would have both been sick if I didn’t.” Nick rubbed my back.

“I don’t feel good. I’m so tired and queasy.”

“Is anything else bothering you?”

“Not really. I hate being sick.”

“I know baby. I’m worried about you. You haven’t felt good for the last week.” I looked up at him. Something dawned on me. It couldn’t be. There was no way. I needed time to think before I talked to Nick about this.

“Nick, I’m going to lie back down.” He stood up.

“You want me to cuddle with you?”

“Yes, I need you to hold me.

How could I be pregnant? The gynecologist told me I wasn’t able to have any more kids. Nick would think I was lying about the whole thing. I was excited about the possibility of having another baby, but scared as to how Nick would react. It seemed like for each step forward, we took two steps back. Time and time again our relationship was being tested. Nick and I didn’t even think about using protection. What were we thinking? I guess we weren’t. We were both caught up in each other to care about anything else. Maybe it was part of God’s plan.

-------------------------------------------

“Hello Mrs. Carter.” Dr. Thomas greeted me.

“Please call me Ashton.”

“What brings you in today?” She started looking at my file.

“I think I might be pregnant. But I was told I couldn’t have kids anymore. I was having problems with my period about a year ago and I went to Dr. Owens for some tests. The results came back that I couldn’t have children.”

“Well looking at your chart, I saw that you were here for tests last year.” She shifted through the papers in the file. She studied them carefully. “Oh, no. Ashton, there’s been a mistake. Somehow some one else’s test results were put in your file. I’m going to look up the information in on the computer.” Dr. Thomas left the room.

I was more confused that ever. I sat in the room staring at posters of STDs and HPV. About ten minutes later, Dr Thomas came back in.

“Ashton, I found the original test results. You are a very healthy woman, who can carry a baby to full term. I can’t change what happened with Dr. Owens, but we can move on knowing you are fertile.” I was upset, but smiled at her. I would have never almost lost my husband. I ended up losing a year of my marriage.

“Can we do the blood test and see if I’m pregnant?” She nodded and started to draw my blood.

--------------------

“Ashton, you feeling any better?” Nick asked as he walked into the kitchen.

“Yes.” I kissed him on the lips.

“What are you cooking? It smells delicious.”

“I’m making homemade spaghetti. Go set the table. It will be ready in about five minutes.”

Nick set the table quickly. “Do you want red or white wine?”

“Neither.” I said and smiled to myself.

I put the spaghetti on plates and placed them on the table.

“How was your day?”

“Good. I wrote a new song. It’s has some killer beats. What did you do all day?”

“Sage came over and helped me run some errands.”

“Sounds like a nice day.”

We ate in silence for a few minutes. I was afraid to tell him what I had found out at the doctor’s today. He had the right to know, especially after the result of the blood test.

“Nick, I need to tell you something, but you need to promise me you won’t get mad.”

“Ashton is there something wrong? I promise to not get mad.”

“I went to see Dr. Thomas. She’s my new female doctor. She was looking at my files and the results from that test last year weren’t mine.”

He looked at me in shock. He hand was raking through his hair. I knew he was angry. “WHAT!!!” His voice rose.

“Apparently someone else’s test results were stuck to mine. I guess Dr. Owens didn’t think to double check.”

“So the last year of torture was for nothing.”

“Pretty much.” I placed my hand on his.

“Why were you there anyway? You didn’t tell me you had a doctor’s appointment.” He looked at my quizzically.

“Well, you know how I haven’t been feeling well lately.” He nodded. “I’m pregnant!”

He jumped up and kissed me. Then he twirled me around. “I take it, you’re happy.”

“You’ve made me the happiest man alive.”

“I love you Nick.”

“I love you Ashton. I thought you were on birth control.”

“I was, but I threw it out the day you sent the divorce papers to me.” I winced at the memory.

“It’s a miracle. We were meant to have this baby. I love you so much, Ashton.”

“I love you to Nick. Let’s go make love.”