- Text Size +

With my casts off, I was on my way to Kentucky to get my kids. I hadn’t seen them in what seemed like forever. I just wanted to give them hugs and bring them home.

Nick was putting the luggage in the Land Rover. I was still dealing with morning sickness, so I sat in the passenger seat eating crackers and drinking weak tea. I prayed that it would go away. I hated feeling sick. Nick was being a great husband. He was waiting on me hand and feet. He made sure that I always had something to curb the sickness. I was never happier in my life.

“You ready to go?”  I nodded my head. Nick started the car and backed out of the driveway.

“I can’t wait to see Jackson and Rachel. I’ve bet they’ve grown.” I looked out the window wishing we were already in Kentucky. It was going to be a long ride. I wanted to be there now.

“Are you feeling any better?”

“A little. I’m not used to all this morning sickness. I hardly had any with Jackson or Rachel.”

“You know it’s worth it.” He rubbed my thigh.

“It is, but if you were nauseous all the time, you would be moaning and groaning all day long.”

“You saying I couldn’t handle it.” He puffed his chest out trying to look macho.

“I know you couldn’t handle it. Plus, you would never survive childbirth.” I teased him.

He thought about it for a minute. I couldn’t tell if he was puzzled or grossed out about the thought of giving birth.

“You’re right. Men are just wimps.”

-------------------------------------

Finally we arrived at my brother’s house in Kentucky. I really had to pee, so I raced into the without bothering to knock. My brother stared at me. A few minutes later, I walked in the living room. Everyone was staring at me.

“Hello!” I quickly sat down on the couch next to Nick. I was embarrassed.

“Hello. How was your trip?” Nia, Kevin’s wife asked.

“It was very long. Where are the kids?” I wanted to see them badly.

“They are with your mom at the store. They should be back in a few.  Ashton would you like to help me in the kitchen.”

“Sure.” I gave my husband a look and he shooed me off to the kitchen. I knew Kevin was going to give him a lecture. Would he ever let us grow up?

“So Nick, is everything okay between the two of you?” Kevin asked.

“Yes, Kevin. We spent a lot of time talking about what was wrong. We worked it out and decided we loved each other to much to get divorced. It’s almost as if breaking her arm and ankle helped us get back together. It forced us together.”

“I just want to know how you fell out of love with her.”

“It’s really none of your business. The problems in our marriage are between us. We solved them and our marriage is stronger.”

Kevin glared at Nick. He knew it wasn’t his business, but he didn’t want Nick to hurt me. “You ever hurt my sister again, you’re a dead man.”

“Why do you think I’m the one who did something? I love your sister, but she’s not perfect. Yes, I was wrong about things, but she was too. We both hurt each other. I love you like an older brother Kev, but stay out it.”

Nick stood up next to Kevin. They were looking eye to eye.

“I won’t stay out of it. It’s my family, and I’ll make sure Ashton’s take care of.” Kevin’s voice rose. I could hear him and Nick in the kitchen.

I walked into the living room.

“Would you both stop? You’re acting like little boys.” Both of them sat down, looking sheepish.

“Sorry.”

“I’m sorry, baby.”

“Kevin, I love you a lot. You’re a great big brother. Please stay out of my marriage. I know you mean well, but Nick and I have dealt with it. We talked about our problems and have worked to move one. Nick is not to blame. I did a lot of careless things in my marriage. Plus, I don’t need this stress right now.”

“Is there something wrong?” Kevin asked worried.

“No. I’m pregnant.”

“What?” Kevin stared at me like I grew two heads.

“I’m pregnant meaning I’m going to have a baby.” I looked at him and saw he wasn’t pleased.

“Do you really think you need to be having a baby while trying to rebuild your marriage?”

“Kevin, we are more than capable.” Nick answered for me.

At that moment, my kids came running into the room.

“Mommy! Daddy!”

“Mommy, I missed you!”

Jackson and Rachel ran into my arms. I covered them both in hugs and kiss. Then they ran to Nick and gave him hugs. I was truly happy at that moment. My life could not get any better.

“Mommy, are we going home with you and daddy?” Rachel asked as Nick picked her up.

“Yes, we’re taking you home.”

“Yea! I’m glad. Kentucky is fun, but I want to be with you and daddy.”

“Dad are you going to live with us again?” Jackson stared at the carpet.

“Jackson, look at me. Yes, I’m coming back home for good. We’re going to be a family again.”

Jackson ran to his daddy and threw his arms around him. Tears were coming from both of their eyes. It was a moment I would never forget. “