- Text Size +

Life was slowly getting back to normal. We were spending time together as a family. Today we were relaxing outside. Nick and Jackson were in the pool swimming. I was painting Rachel’s toenails.

“Mommy?”

“Yes, Rachey.”

“I’m glad you and daddy love each other again.” She smiled at me with her toothless grin. She had recently lost her top two front teeth.

“Me, too. You ready to go back to school?”

“Of course I am. I can’t wait to have Miss Rossi. She is so much fun.”

“She is a great teacher.  I can’t believe you’re going to first grade.”

She wrinkled her nose at me. “Mommy, I’m a big girl. Can I get some new dresses for school?”

“Of course. We can have a girl’s day out. We’ll go shopping and out for lunch.” I closed the nail polish bottle.

Rachel jumped off her chair and ran inside the house. I hope she wasn’t up to something. Nick and Jackson sat down at the table.

“We’re hungry.” They pouted at me.

“You know where the food is at.” I remarked with a smirk.

“Mommy, can you make us something to eat.” Jackson gave me puppy dog eyes.

“Who taught you how to give puppy dogs eyes?” He pointed to his dad. I ruffled his hair. “What do you want?”

“A popsicle.”

I got up and went inside. As I opened up the freezer the phone rang. Quickly I grabbed it. “Carter residence. May I help you?”

“How’s my favorite sister-in-law?”

“You’re such a flatterer Aaron. I’m your only sister-in-law. I’m doing well. How are you?”

“Doin’ well. How are the kids?”

Doing well. They are growing like weeds.”

“Give them a kiss for me. Can I talk to my big bad bro?”

“Sure. Hold on.” I stepped outside. “Nick, it’s your brother.” I handed him the phone and Jackson his popsicle.

“What you want, bro?”

“I’m getting ready to go in the studio. I was wondering if you would come to L.A. and help me produce some tracks.”

“I don’t know, Aaron. How long would it be for?”

“I don’t know a week or two.”

“Can you come to Florida?”

“I can’t. The song is going to be a duet with Mandy Moore. We both want you to produce it.”

“Let me talk to Ashton and I’ll get back to you later tonight.”

-----------------------------------

Nick walked out of the bathroom wearing only a towel. At thirty-one, he was still hot. His body was muscular from working out. I couldn’t help but drool. “You like the view.” Nick smirked at me.

“Nah…it’s getting kind of old. I might need to replace it with a new one.” I said seriously. His eyes widen.

“You wouldn’t would you?” He let the towel go as he put his boxers on.

“Never. I have you trained. It would take to long to train a younger man to please me.” I licked my lips.

He lay down next to me on the bed. I placed my book on the nightstand.

“What did you brother want?”

“He wants me to come to L.A. to produce a song for him. It’s some duet with Mandy Moore.” He fluffed his pillow and got comfortable.

“It would be a great opportunity. I know you want to get into producing for more artists.”

“You wouldn’t get mad if I went?” He looked me in the eyes.

“Nick, I love you. I know that music is your passion. I’m not going to stop you. How long would you be gone?” I loved and trusted my husband. I wasn’t going to stop him from pursuing his career.

“He said it would take a week or two.”

“I think you should do it.”

“Okay. I’ll call Aaron shortly and let him know.” Nick kissed me. “You know I love you.”

“I know. I love you.”

“Seriously. You let me be me and you care about my passion.”

“Nick, I could never stop you from doing anything. That would be wrong of me. You would end up hating me if I did. Nick, you would do the same for me.” He nodded his head.

“Are you ready to go back to school in a few weeks?”

“Yeah… About that, I’m not going back?”

“Why?” He looked at me quizzically.

“I just want to be a mom. I want to enjoy being pregnant and taking care of my family. I love teaching, but I love my family more.” I pressed my lips to his. Nick rolled me over, so he was on top of me. We continued to kiss and our tongues dueled in a dance. Nick’s hand slipped under my t-shirt. His fingers grazed my skin. I was feeling hot and bothered.

“Ring…Ring”

“Ignore.” Kiss. “It” Kiss. “They’ll call back.” Nick trailed kisses down my neck.

 “It might be important.” I pushed him off me and sat up. I looked at the caller id. It was Aaron. “Nick it was your brother. You better call him and tell him you wife is sending your ass to L.A.”

“Fine. We’ll continue this later, babe. You can’t start and not finish.” He huffed and walked out of the room. I busted out laughing at my husband. He was so funny when he didn’t get his way.

I stretched out on the bed and pulled the comforter up to my chin. I thought about the wonderful day I enjoyed with my family. It put a smile on my face. I closed my eyes and drifted off into a peaceful sleep. A few minutes later Nick walked into the bedroom. He saw that I was asleep. He sighed. He got into bed and snuggled against me.