- Text Size +

Nick had just left for California. The house was quiet and that frightened me. I knew the kids were up to something. I headed upstairs where I heard laughter coming from Rachel’s room. I popped my head in the door.  I couldn’t believe what my children were doing. The cat sat on the bed wearing a dress. It did not look very happy.

“What in the world are you two doing?” I asked.

“We’re dressing up Rascal. Isn’t she beautiful?” Rachel declared as she fell on the floor giggling.

“Mommy can we take pictures of Rascal in the dress?” Jackson asked.

“Umm…sure. Go get the camera. It’s in the bookshelf in the living room.” My kids could be so weird at times. Clearly my children took after their father. The cat looked at me for help. I felt sorry for the poor kitty.

Jackson came running back in the room. He started taking picture after picture of the cat in a dress. I think he might grow up to be a member of the paparazzi the way he was taking pictures.

I smiled at my kids. I was happy that they got along so well. Nick and I hadn’t told them about the new baby yet. I hoped they would be just as close to him or her the way I was with my brothers.

“Mom, I’m hungry.”

“Jackson you just ate.” I leaned against the door.

“I know, but my stomach seemed to forget. Can I have something to eat?” His eyes pleaded with me.

“Sure. Let’s go to the kitchen.” I think Jackson was going through a growth spurt. All he wanted to do was eat. He was growing up so fast. His blond hair needed cut. It was falling into his blue eyes. Jackson looked just like Nick at that age.

The kids followed me into the kitchen. “What would you like to eat?”

“Cookies.” 

“Ice Cream.”

“You need to eat something healthy. It’s too early to be eating junk food.”

“Dad would let us.” Jackson told me. I knew Nick would allow that. He was a great dad, but the kids knew how to work him.

“Well Dad is not here. How about some fruit?”

“Can I have apples with peanut butter?” Rachel asked politely. I nodded my head

“What about you Jackson?”

“Nah. I’m not hungry. This is stupid.” He walked out of the kitchen.

“Jackson Nickolas Brian Carter, get back in this kitchen now.” I called out to him.

“What?”

“What is wrong?”

“I wanted cookies.” He stared at me.

“You can have a cookie later. I told you could have fruit.”

“I don’t want stupid fruit. I don’t like it when Daddy’s gone. He’s better than you. He would let me have cookies.” He ran out of the kitchen. I stood there in shock. Jackson had never pulled an attitude with me. I think he was mad because Nick wasn’t home. He probably thought Nick wasn’t going to come back home. I was going to give him some time to calm down.

“Mommy, I love you. Jackson’s a meanie. He always says mean things to me, too. I think you are the best mommy in the world.” Rachel smiled at me and started eating her apples.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I put the kids to bed. Jackson’s attitude did not improve all day. He wouldn’t play with Rachel or say more than two words to me. If he was acting this way at seven, I didn’t want to think about the teenage years. Finally I sat on the couch and had a moment to myself. I was enjoying a hot cup of tea. My cell phone rang.

“Hello, sexy.”

“Nick. I miss you.”

“I miss you, too. How’s everything at home?”

“Good. Jackson’s been mad at me all day. Rachel’s been an angel.”

“Why is Jackson mad at you?”

“Because I’m not as cool as you, Mr. Carter.” I sipped my tea.

“Well, I am cool, but he’s not being very nice. What happened?”

“He got mad because I wouldn’t let him have cookies. Nick, I just think it’s hard for him when we’re not together. How are things in L.A.?”

“Going well. I met with Aaron and Mandy. The song is cool. Aaron’s already being annoying.”

“Why?” I put my feet up on the coffee table.

“Well, he wanted me to go to a club tonight.”

“What’s wrong with that? You should be spending time with your brother.” Nick snorted.

“I’m too old to go clubbing. Plus, I would have sat there all night watching him find his next one night stand. I’d rather pass on that. Plus, I’d rather talk to my incredibly sexy wife.”

“You’re sweet, Nicky. Well your brother is young and hot. He deserves to enjoy himself, though it would be nice if he found a woman to settle down with.”

“You think my brother’s hot?” Nick asked.

“Yes, Aaron is hot. He’s a little young for me.” I teased Nick.

“You mean you date him if you were younger.”

“Maybe, but I have the only man I could ever want.”

“Now you’re trying to butter me up.”

“Nicky, I don’t have butter you up. You’re mine for always and forever.” I yawned loudly.

“You sound tired, sweetheart. You and the baby need to rest. Go get some sleep.”

“Thanks, Nick. I love you. Call me tomorrow.”

“Love ya.”

I carried my cup into the kitchen and put it in the sink. Slowly, I made my way upstairs and went to bed.