- Text Size +

“Daddy….I missed you so much. Today I learned about butterflies.” Rachel ran and jumped into Nick’s arms. Jackson ran up and gave his dad a big hug.

“Hey Rachey and Jacks. I’ve missed you so much.”

They walked out to the car. The kids quickly got in Nick’s BMW. They both started talking over top of each other. Nick smiled at the sound of his kids. He loved them more than life. Nick drove toward the beach. He wanted to spend time with his kids alone before he brought them home.

“Daddy, we’re at the beach.” Rachel exclaimed.

“Yes sweetie…I thought we could play for a while before we go home.” They all got out of the car and found a place to sit in the sand.

“Dad…can we play basketball later tonight?” Jackson asked.

“Of course we can.” Nick watched Rachel play in the sand. She was such a laid-back child, who enjoyed whatever she was doing. Jackson was more intense. He was quiet and a deep thinker. His children brought such joy to his life. Living apart from them was going to be tough, but he felt he had no choice. Things with Ashton were rough at the moment. He cared about his wife, but something was missing in the relationship. He didn’t want to hurt her, but he could not go on living a lie. He had felt this way for a long time.

“Dad...where’s mommy?”

“She had to run some errands. I need to talk to you both about something.” Both kids sat next to their dad. “You know how daddy sometimes goes away on business…and I have to stay in a hotel.”

“Yes daddy. You travel the world and stay in fancy schmancy hotels. The girls love you daddy.” Rachel giggled. Jackson sat quietly listening to his dad.

“Well…daddy is going to be living away from the house for a while.” He explained carefully to his children.

“Why?” Jackson asked his father.

“Mommy and daddy need some time to…umm…umm…its complicated Jacks. It has nothing to do with you. Your mom and I love you and your sister so much.”

“Then why are you leaving us? Why do you have to live somewhere else? Don’t you love us anymore?” Jackson yelled at his father.

“Jacks calm down.  I love you so much. This is between mommy and me. You can call me and visit me anytime you want. I’ll be at all your soccer games.” Nick reached out for his son. Jackson pulled away and ran to the car. Nick quickly picked up his daughter and chased after his son.

“I HATE YOU!!!” Jackson screamed and got in the car. Nick didn’t know what to do. He started the car and drove home in silence.

Jackson ran in the house and slammed the door. I walked into the foyer to see what was wrong. Jackson flew past me and ran up the stairs. Nick and Rachel quietly walked in.

“What’s Jackson upset about?” I questioned Nick. He looked sad.

“I told him that I’m not going to be living here for a while.”

“You did what? Why couldn’t you wait for me, so we could tell the kids together? What were you thinking Nick?” I turned around and marched up the stairs. It was time to do damage control. Jackson was sensitive, and I knew he wouldn’t take it easily.

I knocked on his bedroom door. “Sweetie, can I come in?” He didn’t reply but I could hear him crying. I quietly opened the door and walked into the room.

“I hate daddy.” He sniffled. I sat on the bed next to Jackson and gave him a hug.

“No you don’t, sweetie. You’re just really mad at daddy.”

“He doesn’t love us anymore mommy.” He cried in my arms.

“Jackson, I know you’re upset that daddy is not going to live here for a while. It makes me sad. It has nothing do with you. Daddy loves you so much. He loves Rachey so much. He will never stop loving you. Mommy and daddy will love you no matter what. You know how you sometimes get mad at your sister and you don’t get along.”

“Yes.”

“Well, right now daddy and I aren’t getting along. Sometimes mommies and daddies don’t get along. Daddy and mommy need time to think about getting along better, and your daddy thinks it might be better if he lives in a different house for a while.”

“Mommy, I love you. I’ll take care of you.” My heart broke for my son. I prayed that things would get better.

“I love you, Jackson. Would you like to watch a movie with your sister? I need to have a grown-up talk with daddy.” Jackson smiled and ran downstairs to the living room.

“Nick we need to talk, now. I’ll meet you in the bedroom.” I yelled from upstairs. I took a few minutes to regain my composure.

Nick walked into the master bedroom. He knew he was in deep shit with his wife. He was trying to make things easier, but he only complicated it more. “Ashton, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset Jacks.”

“What were you thinking? I thought we were a team, but I guess that no longer matters.”

“Stop, as long as we have kids, we’ll be a team.”

“Nick are you living in a dream world? I don’t what is wrong with you lately. Are you having a mid-life crisis or something? You’ve changed. I don’t know what I’ve done to make you fall out of love with me and you won’t tell me. I’m completely clueless. When you figure it out let me know. I think you need to leave.” I walked out of the bedroom.

Nick sat on the bed. What was happening to his life? This is not what he had expected of his life. He expected to grow old with Ashton and have lots of grandchildren. His life was falling apart.