- Text Size +

Life was slowly getting back to normal in the Carter house. It was just like when Nick was on tour. I was busy taking Jackson to soccer practice and Rachel to ballet. The school year was almost over. I was looking forward to the break. My family was coming to visit and I was excited to see them.

The door bell rang. I wasn’t expecting anyone. I quickly walked to the door. “Hey Alex. Come on in.”

“Ashton, it’s great to see you.” He gave me a bear hug.

“What brings you here? I haven’t seen you in forever.”

“Busy as always. Nick asked me to help with producing a song.” I assumed AJ didn’t know that Nick and I were separated. Nick seemed to forget to tell important details to people. Unfortunately Nick’s studio was in the basement, meaning he would be here soon.

“He isn’t here at the moment. You can chill with me until he gets here.” AJ looked at my strangely but followed me into the living room.

“Jackson, how’s my buddy?”

“Hello Alex. Dad doesn’t live here anymore. You can go visit him at his condo.” Jackson threw his game controller down and ran to his room. AJ looked confused

“What is going on Ashton?” I looked at him and shifted in my chair.

“Nick and I are separated. He moved out last weekend. Jackson is taking it hard.”

“Oh, Ashton. I’m so sorry. What is Nick thinking? You’re the best thing that happened to him.”

“I don’t know. He says he fell out of love with me.”

“Is he on drugs? That is the lamest excuse I have ever heard.” I smiled. AJ always knew how to make me feel better.

“Please don’t say anything to him. He should be the one to tell you. So how are things with you and Arizona?”

“Perfect. I couldn’t be happier.”

The front door opened and Nick walked into the living room. “Hey Alex. Ashton, I’m sorry I forgot to tell you about working in the studio today.”

“It’s your studio Nick. You don’t need permission to use it.” I got up from the chair and started to leave the room.

“Would it be ok if I took the kids out to dinner?”

"That is fine. You know you don’t have to ask to spend time with your kids. Just let me know what time you are going, so I can get the kids ready.” I walked out of the room

 

------------------------------------------------

Nick sat at the control panel, fiddling with the buttons as he waited for AJ to get off the phone. They had worked hard all morning fixing the track Nick recorded in Atlanta.

“Love you, too. See you tonight. Bye, Arizona.” AJ put his phone in his pocket.

“You are so in love with her.”

“Yeah, she’s my life. I remember the days when you spent all your free time on the phone with Ashton. You made me sick.”

“Yeah.” Nick replied glumly.

“Nick what’s wrong?”

“I’m not living here anymore. I’m not in love with Ashton.”

“What?!?!”

“I’m not in love with her anymore. Things have changed. I’m not the same person I was when we fell in love. It’s different.” He sighed. He couldn’t put into words what he was feeling.

“Yes, you’ve both grew up and matured. I hope you aren’t the same people you were when you met. You have an awesome wife.”

“I get what you’re saying, but something’s changed. I can’t place it. It’s been like this for a while.”

“Have you talked to her about it? You know how important communication is in a relationship.”

“When did you become Dr. Phil? I haven’t talked to her about it because I can’t put it into words.” He fiddled with the gold watch she gave him last Christmas.

“Nick if you don’t talk to her, you’re only going to push her away. Ashton will only take so much of your bullshit, before she goes off on you. Remember who her brother is. You don’t want to mess with the female version of Kevin.”

 

-----------------------------------------

“Daddy, I am so hungry. Can we go to Chuckie Cheese?” Rachel sat on his lap.

“We’ll see. Is Jacks ready?” Nick asked me. I could tell he was getting impatient.

“Nick he’s in his room. He told me he doesn’t want to go with you.”  Nick sighed in frustration. He was saddened by his son’s anger. He put his daughter on the couch and made his way upstairs.

“Jacks, can I come in?” Nick said as he knocked on the door. His son didn’t answer. Nick opened the door and saw his son sitting on the bed petting the cat. “Are you mad at me?”

“Yeah.”

“Why?” Nick sat next to Jackson.

“Because you don’t love us anymore.”

“That’s not true. I love you Jackson. I love your sister.”

“You forgot someone. Why do you hate mommy?” He continued petting his cat, as tears fell down his cheeks.

“Jacks, I don’t hate your mom. Sometimes grown-ups care about each other, but don’t love one another. I care for your mom a lot.”

“That makes no sense daddy. How can you not love mommy? She’s the best girl in the whole world. She takes care of me when I’m sick, loves me even when I get in trouble, and she makes my favorite dinner all the time.”

Nick didn’t know how to respond to Jackson. He had to agree that those were all great reasons to love his wife. When did his marriage become complex? Why couldn’t he go back to simpler times?

“Jacks are you going to dinner. We’re going to Chuckie Cheese.”  Jackson shook his head. Nick gave him a kiss on the head.  He wasn’t going to force him to come. “I love you, buddy.”

Nick walked out and closed the door. “I love you daddy.” Jackson buried his head in a pillow and cried himself to sleep.