- Text Size +

As I pulled up to the church, Nick was standing with the kids. He was wearing black dress pants and a green dress shirt. I guess he decided to attend worship today. I was surprised because Nick rarely went to church with us. My mom and I quickly got out of the car and walked over to my family.

“Mommy! Daddy is going to church with us today. He’s gonna sing like an angel.” Rachel danced around. I smiled at her.

“Good morning, Nick.” I smoothed my skirt and started walking into the church. We found a pew down in the front. Somehow I ended up sitting next to Nick.

As the kids went up front for the children’s sermon, I realized that I wasn’t concentrating on worshipping the Lord. I was concentrating on the man next to me. His arm kept grazing mine. I had no choice, but to share a hymnal with him because my mother was sitting between the kids. Nick paid no attention to me and focused on the pastor’s sermon. I couldn’t take it any longer; I got up quickly and ran outside. Nick’s eyes followed his wife as she ran out the door. That was so unlike her.

I sat on the wall beside the church. My head hurt and my heart ached. I literally felt sick to my stomach. I needed to snap out of this fog. My mom was right; I needed to work things out with Nick.

“Are you ok?” My mom asked with concern. I nodded my head. I was so nauseous I couldn’t talk.

“Dad, I’m hungry.” Jackson smiled at his dad.

“Would everyone like to go to lunch at Doc’s?” The kids jumped around excitedly. Doc’s was their favorite restaurant.

“I think I’ll pass. I’m not feeling well. Mom go enjoy some time with the family. I just need to rest.” Nick looked concerned.

“Are you sure, Ashton?” I nodded my head and walked to my car.

----------------------------

Doc’s was located beside the beach. While they waited for their food, the kids fed seagulls and ran on the beach.

“Nick what’s going on?” Ann asked bluntly.

“What do you mean?”

“You know what I mean. You’re not living at home. My daughter’s heart is being broken. ”

“Oh, that.” He paused. What was he going to say to his mother-in-law?  “We’re going through a phase right now.”

“Who you or my daughter?”

“Me. I’ll be honest with you Ann. I’m not in love with Ashton anymore.” He blinked quickly. Ann knew he wasn’t being totally honest about his last statement. “Things are different between us. I care about her, but something’s missing.”

“Is it sex?” Nick did not want to have this conversation with Ann. Even his friends didn’t ask that question. It was embarrassing to talk about your sex life with your mother-in-law.

“No.” He played with his straw. “I can’t explain it. Ashton is still the wonderful woman I married. She’s kind, caring, beautiful, and full of love. She’s great with the kids.  She’s a successful teacher. I just don’t know.”

“Are you sure this is about Ashton or is it about you?”

“What do you mean, Ann?”

“I keep hearing how aren’t in love with my daughter, yet your actions and words sing a different tune. I saw the way you looked at her during church. When she ran out, you wanted to follow. I think this is about you. You need to figure out what you want in your life. You’re not just screwing up her life, think about your kids.”

The waiter brought the food and the kids sat down to eat.

“Grandma….what did the baby corn say to the momma corn?”

“I don’t know, Jackson. What did it say?

“Where’s popcorn?” He laughed. Everyone started to chuckle.

“Gammy Ann, can we play Barbie’s when we get home?”

“I would love to.” Silence filled the table, as everyone started eating. Ann hoped Nick took her advice. Ashton and Nick were both to stubborn to realize they were both making a mistake by not communicating with each other. If they couldn’t pull it together, she was going to have to intervene.

--------------------------------------------

“Momma, I love you.” I kissed Rachel goodnight.

“I love you, Rachel. Did you have a good day today?”

“Yes, I did. Lunch was fun with daddy and Gammy Ann.” I fluffed her pillow and gave her one more kiss.

“Goodnight.”

I shut her door and went downstairs to the living room. Jackson was talking to his grandma. “I miss dad a lot. I wish he was still living with us.”

“I bet you do. You know your daddy loves you.” He nodded. “Your daddy’s love won’t change for you just because he doesn’t live with you.”

“I know, but he doesn’t love mommy.” Jackson sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

“I think he still loves mommy a lot. Your dad is just confused. In his heart he will always love your mom.”

I couldn’t take it anymore and pretended like I just walked in. “Jackson, it’s time for bed. Give your grandma a kiss and brush your teeth. I’ll be up in a few minutes to tuck you in.”

Jackson gave his grandma a hug and kiss. He walked over to me and gave me a hug. “I love you mom. You’re the best.” Then he ran up the stairs.