- Text Size +

“Mommy, Uncle Kevin, Auntie Nia, Spencer, baby Tylie, Uncle Tim, Aunt Patty, Uncle Jerald, and his girlfriend are here.” Rachel ran into kitchen screaming. I threw my dish towel down and ran to the door.

“OMG….What are you all doing here?”

“Mom invited us all to you house.” Jerald pulled me into arms. “We’ve missed our baby sister.”

“Come in. I’ve missed you all so much” I gave them all hugs as I ushered them into the house. “Mom, what a surprise! Thank you.”

The room was filled with laughter. Everyone was talking over each other. Spencer, Kevin’s twelve year old son, was listening to his iPod. Baby Tylie was sleeping in her momma’s arms. I sat down next to Kevin. “So how are things going?” He whispered.

“You mean with Nick. He’s moved out.”

“No one else knows. I didn’t think it was my place to tell them.”

“Well, when he doesn’t show up in a few hours, they’re going to know something is up.”

“What are you to whispering about?” Tim sat next to me.

“Nothing.” Kevin replied.

I found sleeping arrangements for everyone. Kevin, Nia, and Baby Tylie were in the recording studio. Tim and his wife were in the second guest room. Jerald and his girlfriend took the third bedroom. Spencer was going to room with Jackson. Ann and my sister-in-laws took the kids for ice cream and swimming at the beach. I was left with my brothers.

“Where’s Nick?” Jerald asked.

“Umm…well…you see…” I was having a hard time getting the words out.

“Ashton, spit it out.”

“We’re separated. He moved out.”

“What? Is he out of his mind?”

“Did he cheat on you?” Tim asked quietly.

“No, Nick would never cheat on me. He doesn’t love me anymore.” I stated matter of factly. I used to get all emotional saying it, but now that I have done it so many times the emotion went away.

“He’s a fool.” Jerald looked angry.

“Have you two talked about it?” Tim asked concerned.

“Kind of.”

“Kevin, you’re awfully quiet.”

“He already knows.” I told my other brothers. “Just like I told him, stay out of it. I know how you guys are. You want to protect me, but this is my problem to fix.”

 

------------------------------

Jerald knocked on the door. Kevin and Tim stood behind him. Nick answered the door. “Bri, let me call you back. I have some visitors from Kentucky.” He placed his phone on the table.

“Hello Nick.” Jerald forced himself into the condo.

Nick was nervous. He knew why his brother-in-laws were paying him a visit. “It’s great to see all of you. I didn’t know you were visiting.”

“Nice place Nick.” Jerald looked around the room.

“Umm…thanks. So what bring you by? You want a drink?” Jerald shook his head.

“What going on with you and Ashton?”

“We’re separated.” Nick sat down on the couch.

“Is there someone else?” interrogated Jerald. Kevin sat quietly, letting his older brother do the talking.

“No. I would never to that to your sister.”

“Then what’s your problem?”

“This is between me and my wife. I know you’re concerned. I don’t blame you for trying to protect your sister. Ashton and I need to work it out.” Nick glared at Jerald.

“You hurt my sister you’re going to pay the price. I don’t care if you are famous, your ass will be mine.”  Jerald walked out the door.

“Nick, have you and Ashton thought about talking to your pastor or a marriage counselor?” Tim asked. He thought a more subtle approach might work with Nick.

“Not really. I just need time to think about things. I didn’t plan on this happening. I thought I would love her forever. I still care about her.”

“I think you two need to talk to a professional. I think it will help. Think about it Nick.”

“Kevin, you sure are quiet.”

“I love you and my sister dearly.  I hope that you both can work this out before it’s too late. It’s not my job to interfere. I’m not taking sides.”

----------------------------

I was sitting quietly at the table looking through a catalog, when my phone rang. “Hello.”

“Ashton.”

“Nick.” What did he want? I haven’t talked to him in a week.

“I had some visitors from Kentucky.”

“Oh, shit. Nick, I’m sorry. I didn’t think they would visit you.” I honestly felt bad. I didn’t want my brothers involved in my marriage troubles.

“You know they would do anything to protect their little sister. I’m not mad. I just thought you should know.”

“Did anyone get a black eye?”

“No, it wasn’t like that. We talked like mature adults, except Jerald. He basically promised to hurt me.” I laughed, picturing my oldest brother beating up on Nick. “It’s not funny. Your brother is scary.”

“Jer means well. He’s a teddy-bear.”

“To you maybe, but he’s always ready to kick my ass.” Nick and I chuckled at that. “You think that’s funny?”

“Yes. I can picture it in mind. I see you both throwing punches and rolling around on the floor.” I couldn’t stop laughing.

“You are too much, Ashy.” She put a smile on Nick’s face. It was like things had never changed between them. He missed hearing her giggle. He couldn’t feel this way again. He needed to get off the phone. “I got to go. Bye.” His phone clicked off.