- Text Size +

Chapter 19 - Home

They left the hospital after being officially discharged by the doctor, Nick still unaware of which city he was even in, or which state for that matter. But it soon became crystal clear that he was in Nashville, Tennessee when he saw the car licence plates in the hospital car park. So I did still end up living here…that is so weird!

“I know you usually like to drive, but not today mister, not after that nasty bump on the head” Mandy grinned and playfully poked him in the chest as she clicked at the car key. The lights flashed, along with the unmistakable sound of doors unlocking on a car just in front of them. It wasn’t the kind of car a man down on his luck would own and Nick smiled as he ran his hand over the shiny paintwork. Maybe we’re kinda doing OK for money! This had to be his car; it was the sort of car he could picture himself behind the wheel of. It was a man’s car.

“Whatever you say” he agreed with Mandy and slung his bag in the back and climbed in, impressed with the smart leather interior of the car. He could hardly make a big deal about her doing the driving when he had no idea where they lived, he was pretty certain they weren‘t going to the trailer park in Wildmill where he‘d previously resided. He had to try and appear as normal as possible to her, and driving around in circles unaware of where he was going was not going to help matters.

As Mandy drove, Nick looked out of the window, paying careful attention to where they were going. He’d always loved the more laid back way of life that Tennessee offered, compared to the non-stop party lifestyle he’d lived in Los Angeles. Los Angeles was the place he’d been so desperate to get away from in the past, the place where he’d come undone so many times due to poor choices he’d made and also with the company he’d kept.

He still remembered when he’d originally relocated to Nashville, back before any of the time travelling shenanigans. It was supposed to have been a new start, a chance to resurrect his music career away from the temptation of drink, drugs and women, but his old habits had followed him and proved impossible to shake off. He’d never gotten his second chance of a solo career off the ground and instead had lost everything, including his wife and family. He wondered just how differently life would be now. Did he have any sort of career anymore, or was he just a former boy band member, now living an anonymous life? I’ll find out soon enough!

“Earth to Nick” Mandy called out, snapping Nick’s attention back to the present “are you OK?”

“Sure” he replied and gave her a weak smile. How was he ever going to get through this? How could he fit into this life when he had no idea what his life was like anymore? He couldn’t bullshit his way through this like he had when he’d gone backwards in time. This time he had a wife and kids, with years and years of memories that Nick didn’t share. I’m fucked!

The car eventually pulled up outside a gated property, Mandy pressed a button on the car key ring and the gates swung open, revealing a long curved driveway, edged with trees, various other plants and flowers, and large sweeping manicured lawns. It was breathtaking and the kind of property which Nick would have thought was completely out of his league. Fuck me, is this where I live? I must’ve made some wise choices over the years if this really is ours, it‘s freaking huge!

“Well, here we are, home sweet home” Mandy switched off the engine and turned to face her husband, who looked awestruck. The house was a large Tuscan style villa, with flower and shrub borders around the front and a large balcony coming off what must be the master bedroom. He had to hold back the urge to say “wow” or “fuck me” out loud. Of course he’d had fame and riches in his younger days, and even owned multiple houses, but to see this place warmed him to the bone. Whatever decisions he’d made in the past had been the right ones this time.

“I’m just going to use the bathroom” Nick excused himself once they were inside. Mandy busied herself doing whatever it was she was doing, leaving Nick free to explore the house.

He climbed the impressive staircase, which overlooked the marble floored hallway, and managed to find the bedroom. “Wow” he muttered and let out an appreciative whistle. The room was huge; with the biggest en-suite bathroom he’d seen in any of his former houses, complete with sunken bath big enough to fit four people and an impressive shower with multiple jets. But that wasn’t the best part; it was the view from the balcony. The house was situated in an elevated position, so provided breathtaking views for miles.

He looked at the framed photos by the side of the bed, and peeked in the walk-in wardrobe, wanting to take in as much information about his new life as he could to learn who he was as a person in this version of 2020. Then he moved on to the other upstairs rooms and thanked god for name plaques on the bedroom doors of the children, at least he wouldn‘t get that wrong. I wonder how the kids turned out with both of us in their lives? I mean, they were pretty awesome before considering I was the world’s worst Dad, but are they the same kids they were before? What if I don’t know how to be around them? What if they sense that I have no clue? Shit…can I do this?

Chapter End Notes:
Hope it was easy to follow and that you enjoyed!