- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks everyone who has been reading.  Feel free to review and let me know what you think.

Nick was reclining on the couch in front of the television; his mind was engrossed in the slaughter that was ensuing on the screen in front of him.  “That’s bullshit,” he yelled at the television, sitting forward in his seat and gesturing at the screen.  “I fucking stabbed that guy.”  He yelled as the screen counted down the seconds until he would spawn again on his game.

Sitting on the edge of his couch now he had a mission.  He was determined to find the call name that had killed him and get his revenge.   Before he could, the screen paused and a voice said “We have been victorious.” signaling the end of the game.

“Damn,” Nick muttered and he took a drink of a beer in front of him.   He sat watching the screen waiting for a new game to start when his phone beeped alerting him to a new e-mail.   He picked up his phone and looked at who it was from.  A smile spread across his face as he saw it was from Veronica.

He glanced at the screen and saw he still had some time before another game started so he opened the e-mail, anxious to know what her e-mail said.

‘Nick,

       I didn’t have your number to call you back so I decided to try sending you an e-mail.

       I understand what happened the other night and nerves.  I like you and was nervous that I would mess up the date myself.

       I would love to meet with you for a do over date.  Maybe we can try a ball game or something this time?

                               Veronica’

Nick held onto his phone and smiled.  She agreed to meet with him again.  He couldn’t believe how lucky he was that he’d messed up twice already and this girl agreed to give him a third chance.  

Lost in thought about what game they could go to or other places he could take her, he didn’t realize that the game on the screen had started.   His character stood still as another soldier on the screen shot him at close range.

He silently excused himself from the game and turned the console off.  He wanted to tell Brian the good news; he had been right after all.  He listened as his friend’s phone continued to ring, but with no answer.   

When the voicemail started, Nick hung up and stared at his phone.  He wanted to talk to someone, to tell them the good news.  None of the other guys knew what Nick had been doing, online dating, so he didn’t want to have to explain Veronica and how they met with them.  If this lead anywhere, like he was confident it would now, then he would tell them.

He knew who he could call, Lindsey.  She helped make him feel better the other day when they ran into each other at the Farmer’s market. He couldn’t chance going out and running into her again, though it seemed running into her was becoming a common occurrence. 

He hit the button to call Lindsey and waited for her to answer.  If he took the time to admit it to himself, he was a bit nervous as to how she would reach when she answered and it was him.

“Hello,” a female voice asked on the other line.

“Hello, Lindsey?” Nick questioned.  He hoped this was Lindsey; he didn’t want someone else answering her phone and trying to figure out that he’d been calling.

“Yes. Who is this?” She asked but before he could answer she answered. “Nick?”

“Yup, it’s me. Do you have psychic powers?” He laughed to himself; though with the mention of psychic his thoughts flew immediately back to the gypsy that haunted his dreams.

“Not many people call me, especially with unknown numbers.” He could hear the smile in her voice.  “What’s up?” she asked him.

“Well I was hoping I could talk to someone, my friend didn’t answer his phone and I can’t wait for him to call me back. I have to tell someone.”  Nick spoke. He couldn’t believe how excited he was about Veronica’s e-mail.  He felt like a kid who had been asked to his first birthday party.

“So talk,” She said.

“Oh,” he said after realizing her had become mute after saying he wanted to talk to someone.

“Wait, you know what. I gotta get out of my place.  My neighbor is being extremely loud and I can’t hear myself think.   Do you want to just meet somewhere?”  She asked.  He could hear the sounds of loud music behind her probably from her neighbor.

“Sure,” He agreed.  They agreed to meet at the restaurant they had eaten at after he took her home from the hospital.

Before he left the house to meet up with Lindsey he decided that he should call Veronica to make plans for their next date.  The restaurant wasn’t far; he would make it in plenty of time even with calling Veronica.

He dialed her number and waited for her to respond.  Thankfully, she picked up after the second ring. “Hello?”

“Veronica? It’s me Nick.” He smiled as he spoke.  He could see her face beaming as he introduced himself on the phone.

“Nick, it’s so great to hear from you. Did you get my e-mail?” he was right about her smile.  It was apparent in how she spoke that she was grinning.  Nick couldn’t wait until he could see her smile again.

“I did, that’s why I’m calling.  Thank you for giving me yet another chance.”  He twirled his keys in his hands as he spoke, keeping his eye on the clock.

“Of course, Nick.  I enjoy your company.  I am glad you called anyway.  I know I had mentioned something about going to a ball game or something, but I am having a party and would love it if you could come.”

“Party?” Nick questioned. He wasn’t sure he wanted to be introduced to friends yet.

“It’s really a small gathering, just a few of my friends getting together with some chips, dip and beer.” She paused and then in a sing song voice “We are going to play some Call of Duty.”

Nick’s heart pumped.  A Call of Duty party sounded like his kind of party.  “Do I need to bring anything?”

Veronica told him what he would need to bring to join in on the party and soon Nick was off the phone gathering what was needed. He’d gotten Veronica’s address and punched it into his GPS.  It wasn’t long before he was in his car heading towards Veronica’s place.

Chapter End Notes:

Well THAT wasn't what my outline said... thanks A LOT Nick!