- Text Size +

 Nick was standing in Veronica’s kitchen taking a break from playing the game.  He watched from a far as the others gave each other high fives for winning the most recent game.   He munched on some chips and dip that Veronica had made for that night.  He just took a huge bite when Veronica approached him.  He smiled and she laughed a little bit at him.

“Cute,” She said as she took a napkin and wiped some of the dip from his face for him.  “Are you enjoying yourself?” She asked as she dipped an apple in the caramel dip.

Nick nodded as he finished chewing the food in his mouth.  “It’s fun.  I don’t remember the last time I played the game as part of a party.  I’d wanted to do this again for some time, it’s like you read my mind.”  He smiled and started to dip another chip into the dip. 

Veronica trailed her fingers lightly over the back of Nick’s hand.  “I am so glad you called.  We try to have these parties once a month.  I forgot to tell you about them at dinner, I wanted to invite you then but you were having a tough night.” 

Nick took her hand in his and kissed it before placing it back on the counter.  “Now that I think about it, I think you did mention these parties in an e-mail or one of our chats online.” 

Veronica nodded and turned her attention back to the group behind her.  They were now cussing out the team they were playing and shouting orders to each other so that they could ultimately take the other team down.

“Veronica, I wanted to ask you. What made you decide to give me another chance after that horrible date? Not to mention you probably thought I stood you up after missing the first one.”

She turned back and looked at him.  “Nick, I know we have something special just from getting to know each other online.  I can definitely give you another chance; everyone has a bad date every now and again.”  She turned back around to watch the others again.

Nick smiled to himself and finished the water he was drinking as he munched.  He headed back to the group, and picked up his controller.  Veronica was gearing up to get back into the game as well.   

The rest of the evening was a blur.  Nick got into playing the game with the others that the night just flew by.  At some point they ordered some pizza and it soon disappeared, not that anyone remembered actually opening the boxes and eating the slices. 

When he woke up the next morning the sunlight streamed in on his face. He bolted up quickly when he realized it was coming in from the wrong side of the room.  He slowly opened his eyes only to see himself in bed with Veronica.  “What the hell,” he said as he jumped out of bed, relieved that his jeans were still on.

Veronica stretched and opened her eyes. “Hello,” she smiled when she saw him.  “Sleep well?” She purred.

“What the hell happened?” He asked, kicking himself for not being able to remember. 

“Relax Nick.” She said as she threw back her covers, revealing that she was fully clothed.  “Nothing happened.  You don’t remember?”  She cocked her head and raised an eyebrow.

Nick shook his head and thought back trying to remember the night before.  “We were playing Call of Duty and it was really late.  You were so exhausted you started to fall asleep as you were playing.  I told you that you could crash in my bed.  You took me up on it and you were practically sound asleep when I came in to go to bed myself.  I didn’t think you’d mind if I slept next to you.” She shrugged.  “Was I wrong?”

Nick shook his head.  “I can’t remember the last time I couldn’t remember the night before.” He said, running his hands through is growing blond hair.

Veronica laughed at his statement but sobered up and stopped when he stood looking at her, his mouth agape, upset that she was laughing at him.

“I’m sorry,” she muttered, covering her mouth with her hand. “It’s just … never mind.” She shook her head trying to conceal her smile. 

Silence fell between them as Nick started to search for his shirt.  He looked on the floor, on the chairs nearby, he even started opening dresser drawers, crimson flowing into his cheeks as he opened Veronica’s underwear drawer.  “Sorry,” he muttered.

“No problem,” Veronica responded.  Nick refused to look in her immediate direction after shutting the dresser drawer, he could tell by the way she answered that she had a smile on her face.  He didn’t want to give her the wrong impression.  He couldn’t deny that Veronica turned him on, but for some reason his head was telling him to hold off and for once he listened.

“Did you try the bathroom?” Veronica asked.

Nick turned and went in the direction she pointed to the restroom.  Sure enough, his shirt was crumpled on the floor in front of the toilet.  He groaned as he picked it up.  He really hoped nobody had used it to mop up any messes.  He sniffed the shirt and cautiously opened it up. There was nothing inside the shirt and it smelled okay, so he pulled it over his head. 

“So…” he started when he walked back into the room Veronica was still in.

“Nothing happened.” She reiterated.  “I wouldn’t lie; I don’t want to mess this up Nick.” She smiled and moved closer; wrapping has arms around him and hugging him tight.   “Can I ask you something though?” She released him and looked up into his eyes.

Nick decided then that he liked looking into her eyes.  Her green eyes reminded him of pictures of grassy hillls in Ireland.  “Yes?” he asked.

“Well you talk in your sleep and well… I…. who is Lindsey?” She finally blurted out. She didn’t look upset, just inquisitive.

At the mention of her name, Nick slapped his forehead and turned to gather his stuff so he could leave. “Dammit, Lindsey.” How could he have forgotten he made plans with her for last night and instead of meeting with her, he had called Veronica and ended up at her place all night?

“I gotta go,” Nick called out towards the bedroom where Veronica stayed.

“Okay,” She called back.  “Do you need any help? I was going to take a shower,” she added the last part in a sing song voice that Nick knew was to tempt him.  He was tempted, but he needed to call and at least apologize to Lindsey and he thought it would probably be best not to call and apologize to one girl for not meeting her while in another girl’s apartment.   

Once Nick had all of his stuff, he opened the door to leave, the sound of Veronica singing in the shower made him smile before the door shut completely.