- Text Size +
“Nick you can't be meaning what you are saying.” the voice on the phone pleaded.

“Jess, it just wasn't meant to be. We had a great couple of dates but there was no spark for me.” Nick replied. This woman was sorely in need of some counseling. When he met her at the restaurant her eyes lit up, excited that her online hook up ended up being a singer, a singer she was a huge fan of his group, The Backstreet Boys, none-the-less.

“I feel as if this was fate.” She said on their first meeting. They sat across from each other at the table in the cafe they decided to meet at. “I've been a fan of your group going on twelve years now, since I was a junior in high school.” She rambled. “Been to every one of your concerts that were near me, I drew the line at following you around on tour. When I first saw you in the Quit Playing Games video I just knew that one day I would meet, that it was meant to be.”

He had to admit that when she got the fan girl out of her, she was very easy to talk to. She listened to his every word, hung on his every word more than any of the other women he'd been seeing lately. It had to be feeling good after having a great meal, but he actually agreed to meet her for lunch the next day. The next morning he regretted it, but after talking with Brian the next day he felt guilted into meeting her again.

The second date, she started talking about marriage and how her friends were going to flip out when they found out she was dating a Backstreet Boy. He knew then it was over, that he couldn't do it again. Of course the next time he spoke with Brian he made sure to mention that he would have canceled the second date if it wasn't for Brian making him feel guilty about not giving the girl a shot even if she was a fan.

“But Nick, I ended my marriage just to be with you.” The woman bawled on the phone.

“Jess... “ Nick was at a loss for words. The woman was in tears, he was tempted to hang up. “It wasn't meant to be. I'm sorry. I have to go.” Nick couldn't think of any other words to make it alright for her.

When he hung up the phone he rolled his eyes. He couldn't believe after what he went through with the last girl he met through an online dating site that he was about to meet yet another girl off of the site. He didn't understand why he was putting himself through all of this, no that was a lie, he knew why he was doing this.

It was half a year ago, Nick was at a barbeque at Brian's with his band mates and their families. He watched as the guys shared secret smiles with their wives and loving embraces with their children. He had convinced himself that marriage and children was not a goal of his, but that was before he got sober. When he got home the memories of the time spent with his friends kept him up. One sleepless night, Nick sat up on his computer toying with the idea of a dating website until the curiosity got the better of him and he signed up for one under an alias.

It wasn't his intent to actually use the site, but he found himself drawn to the site nightly to check out his matches and the next thing he knew he was e-mailing some of his matches and arranging dates. After meeting the first woman, Nick caved and told Brian what he'd been doing.

“Nick, I think it's great you want to meet someone, but are you sure this is the right method?” His friend questioned.

Honestly Nick didn't have an answer for his friend and so he didn't answer. He let the conversation peter out talking about Baylee and school or something like that.

Now he'd been on seven dates with four different women and was on his way to his eighth date with yet another woman. A date he neglected to tell anyone he was going on. He knew that Brian and his family were only concerned for his well-being and the whole internet dating was scarey, you never knew if people were being truthful, especially when he, himself gave a fake name and omitted his real career from the women he arranged dates with. None were extremely upset when they found out, and one, well Jess, was another story completely.

Nick looked down to glimpse at his watch, he was running ten minutes ahead of schedule which was good, he wanted to arrive early and watch for the girl to arrive. This girl seemed different during their online conversations, he felt that she was someone he could connect with offline too. More so than with the other girls. 'Save the best for last,' he thought.

The screeching tires brought him back to the moment as his eyes flew to road. He looked up just as his car slammed into the passenger side of a car crossing the intersection. Gut reaction had him slamming both of his feet onto the break pedal in an attempt to stop his car from further crashing into the other vehicle. His heartbeat raced as his car came to a complete stop. Nick managed to flick his eyes towards the stoplight before getting out of the car. His light red, 'shit' he thought as he glanced around searching for any body with cameras or who looked like they were taking pictures.

“Are you alright?” Nick questioned the woman sitting behind the wheel.

“What do you think jackass?” she shot back. “You ran the damn light and went straight into my car.”

Nick looked at the woman and noticed a large gash above her left eye, probably from hitting the window that was shattered on the ground at his feet. Her left arm was already purple from bruising and Nick wouldn't be shocked to find out if it was broken. That seemed to be all the external injuries he could find, but without x-ray vision he wouldn't know what internal injuries she possessed.

“Shit head, are you just going stand there and gawk or are you going to call the fucking police?” The woman spat out. “If you are waiting for me to do it....” she mumbled the rest of the statement.

Sirens could be heard from the distance, a bystander probably called 911 before Nick even emerged from his vehicle. “Ma'am, help is on the way. Where are you hurt?” Trying to initiate any conversation to help the woman to keep from going into shock. “I am going to reach in and undo the emergency release of your seat belt.”

Surprised he did not receive a pithy remark, he reached into the car carefully and found the emergency release at the top of the belt. “What's your name?” He asked. When no response came he started to worry a bit. The woman's skin was starting to become increasingly pale as the blood poured from he head wound. The sirens were getting closer and Nick hoped they would arrive soon, he was not trained but he was pretty sure this woman would be going into shock soon if she did not receive help. Now he was going to be late to his date.