- Text Size +

Nick pulled the covers up under Veronica’s chin and kissed her forehead.  She did feel warm and he was pretty sure he heard her getting sick in the bathroom earlier.  When she first mentioned she felt sick he thought that perhaps she was only saying it so that they could leave the dinner early.  He could tell that she was not enjoying her time and was probably not too happy with Nick’s friend being Lindsey.  He decided he would talk to her about it when she felt better.

“Do you need anything right now?” Nick asked her. 

In reply she shook her head, closing her eyes.  “No, I think I just want to sleep.”  She smiled even though her eyes were closed.

Nick kissed her forehead and quietly left the room.  He threw himself on Veronica’s couch and turned on her television.  He could probably run home and get a few things but he wanted to make sure he was here in case she woke up and needed something.  He thought it best to stick around until she woke up and he could tell her that he was going out for a bit. 

The screen in front of him flickered with images but he was not focusing on them.  He wanted to call Lindsey to apologize for the evening and ask if she and David were able to salvage the evening and have a good time after they left. 

He picked up his phone and scrolled through his recent calls to find her number. He was about to hit the call button when his phone started to ring. He cursed himself for not putting it on silent as he answered.

“Nick I have some potentially great news for you,” the voice of his manager came through on the other end before he could even say hello.

“What?” Nick asked trying to be quiet, but it was hard since his manager was excited, he felt he should mirror that excitement.

“I will tell you more when you come into the studio tomorrow, I just wanted to call and let you know that it is big!” His manager said goodbye and got off of the phone leaving Nick to stare at the phone and wonder why he had to call and tell him about it now, make him wonder until his next session.

Nick looked up at the TV laughing about his manager’s strange call. He watched as an advertisement for a traveling fair came on the screen letting the city know that they would be in town the next week and the next week only.  Nick laughed and shook his head.  Maybe he could take Veronica to the fair next week.

He leaned back in his seat and dialed Lindsey’s number.  “Hey,” he said when she picked up.

“Hi Nick,” her voice came back cheerful. She sounded happy to hear from him that was good at least she wasn’t upset about how the evening turned out.

“I’m sorry about tonight. How did the rest of your evening go?” He asked.

“David and I decided to call it a night after you and Veronica left.  He had some work he needed to get done anyway and had been stressing about it all night in the first place.”  She replied casually.

“I didn’t mean for it to be an inconvenience for anyone. We could have set it up for another day he wasn’t busy.” Nick offered.

“Oh no, that’s okay.” Lindsey quickly responded.  “Tonight was fine.”

“Well, it was a bust.  Do you want to reschedule?” Nick asked.

“We could try, but I am not sure how much your girlfriend will want to.” Lindsey answered honestly.

“It was my fault she acted that way, I hadn’t told her about you until the car ride to the restaurant. I am sure it was a shock to find out something like that.  Veronica has guy friends but I’ve met them all. I am sure if I didn’t know them and she sprung on me that we were meeting her best friend and he was a male then I might have acted the same way.” He confessed.  He didn’t want Lindsey to think badly of Veronica. 

“I am up for whatever, but you will have to check with her.” Lindsey stated with finality.  The two talked a little more, Nick brought up his short conversation with his manager and what it could mean.  They speculated what the news could be until Nick heard Veronica calling for him from the next room.

“I’ll call you later,” Nick told Lindsey as they got off of the phone.  He stood and dropped his phone on the coffee table before going into Veronica’s room.

“Hey,” he said softly as he moved closer.  “What do you need?”

“I was hoping for a popsicle,” She said in a quiet and almost child-like voice.  “But I don’t have any in the apartment.”  She batted her eyelashes, Nick knew what she was asking.

“I can get you some, any in particular flavor?”

“Banana,” She smiled at him sweetly. “Thank you so much Nick.” She rolled over and closed her eyes again and he quietly left the room.  He made a mental note to get some banana popsicles and maybe some ginger ale and chicken noodle soup. 

He walked out and started his car before mentally slapping himself that he’d forgotten his phone.  He made his way back to Veronica’s place and quietly opened the door and spotted his phone on the table. He moved quickly but quietly, he didn’t want to wake Veronica up.

“I have to talk fast, he’ll be back soon.” Veronica’s voice came from the other room. Gone was the voice of someone who sounded sick.

Nick crept closer to the door, wondering who she was talking to, maybe her mother.

“There is another woman in his life.  I don’t like it. What if he leaves me for her?”

Nick smiled, she was simply concerned about Lindsey.  He would have to make sure she was aware that he did not think of Lindsey that way, that she was the only one for him.  He was about to knock so that he could enter and tell her when something she said caught his attention.

“Of course he doesn’t know.” Her voice sounded harsh as she spoke to the person on the other line.  “I’m sure of it, if he did know he wouldn’t be taking care of me now he would have left long ago.” She paused, probably for the response on the other end.   “No, I’ve not met the others yet.  I will I am sure.” Veronica paused again.  “You just let me handle that.”  She answered before going silent.  He heard her feet hit the floor and footsteps start to approach the door. 

He moved fast and was able to make it out the front door before the door to the bedroom opened again.  He got in his car and drove off, hopefully before Veronica noticed it still in the parking lot.  He drove without thinking and ended up pulling in front of Lindsey’s place.

He knocked on the door loudly, willing her to be home.  He’d forgotten it was the middle of the day on a weekday and Lindsey would be at work.  Much to his surprise the door opened and Lindsey stood looking agape at him.

“Nick?” She questioned as she opened the door wider for him to come inside.  “What’s going on?”

“You are home?” He questioned as he sat.  He didn’t want to jump right into what he’d heard.  Who was he kidding, it was killing him but he was also curious as to why she was home.

“I took the afternoon off.” She said sitting next to him and putting her hand on his arm. “What is wrong? You look angry.”

This was all he needed to release. “I am angry.  I was taking care of Veronica and I heard her talking when she thought I was gone.   She said there was something that if I knew it I wouldn’t be with her. And the rest of her conversation after that made her sound highly suspicious.” 

“Calm down, Nick.” Lindsey spoke in soothing tones.  “Maybe it’s a misunderstanding.  Maybe she was talking about what she had.  If you knew she had a certain sickness, you might have left her alone.”  She smiled at him. 

He sighed and took hold of Lindsey’s hand. “She talked about meeting the others,” He sighed.

“Your friends, your band mates, they are important to your life.  Wouldn’t she want to meet them, it would make her feel like you really did want to be with her to show her off to them.”  

Lindsey was right, Nick started to breathe easier.  How could he have flown off the handle like that? Nick pulled Lindsey into a hug and held her tight. “Thank you,” he muttered.  He pulled away kept his hands on his shoulders so he could keep eye contact with her.  “I am glad you are my friend.”

Crimson rushed to her cheeks as she smiled at him.  Impulse took over and he leaned in pressing his lips to hers.