- Text Size +
The drive home was uneventful, thankfully, as Nick’s mind continued to wander. He urged his thoughts to think of the girl he was supposed to meet this afternoon, and how upset she would be. He drafted several e-mails in his head as he drove. Inevitably though, his thoughts would veer back to Lindsey and the accident.

He was not used to feeling so bad about something he’d done to someone else before. Numb to how he affected anyone and their feelings was a side effect of his drug habit. Kevin would be proud of how mature he was being about the situation, that he stayed to speak with the cop, that is if he and Kevin were still on speaking terms. They were civil to each other when they were invited to the same gatherings, but he’d burned that bridge, yet another side effect of his drug habit.

Still in a haze, he unlocked the door to his condo and found his way to his computer. He logged onto the dating site ignored the pop up telling him he three new matches. There were no new messages in his in box, he hoped there might have been one from the girl he was supposed to meet, but it appeared Veronica had not sent him a message.

He should have asked her for a phone number so that he could call her, but since Jess, he did not give out his number unless needed. As it was he was probably going to have to change his number, he had four new voice messages and ten new text messages he was willing to bet were all from Jess.

Grabbing a soda from the fridge, he sat down in front of the computer ready to compose his e-mail apology to Veronica.

‘Veronica,
Sorry about today. I hope you believe my reason for not being there. I was thinking about our date, got distracted and ran a red light right into the side of an oncoming car. I have an awesome ticket to prove it if you’d like proof during our date, that is if you agree to meet me again.

I had several ways of apologizing to you drafted in my head but when I sat down to type, I thought simple and straightforward would be the best approach. I hope you will agree to meet with me again. You can choose the place.’


He threw in the last line because he had mentioned how anal he was about choosing where they would meet. She mentioned several different places that she would like to show him but he nixed all of them opting for something he was more familiar with. He hoped that giving up that control and letting her choose would be a point in his favor and she would relent to give him another chance.

He slurped his soda, a nasty habit Brian told him, as he skimmed his new matches. He tossed them aside without a second thought, he didn't want to meet any of the new matches.

It came as a total surprise to him when he received a new message from Veronica only a few minutes after he sent his apology. She agreed to meet him a week from today, same time same place as they agreed on before. He smiled and sent his reply agreeing to the terms throwing in that he would take a taxi so he wouldn't have to worry about thinking and driving at the same time.

He smiled to himself and moved to the room he reserved for his elliptical and weights, deciding that he really could use a work out tonight, it might keep his muscles limber enough so that he would not feel sore from the accident tomorrow.

Thinking about the accident brought Lindsey back to his thoughts. The way she glared at him in the hospital room, he needed to explain to apologize again. He decided tomorrow he was going back to the hospital, with hopes of catching her before she is released so he could explain, perhaps buy her a apology meal.