- Text Size +
Nick wrung his hands as the elevator counted the floors rising. He could honestly say he had never felt this nervous before. He was nervous that Lindsey would be gone already, nervous that she would throw a tantrum about him being there again and throw him out of the room. He couldn’t understand why this girl was making him nervous.

The elevator doors opened when he reached Lindsey’s floor. He exited and looked around; the door to Lindsey’s room was closed. He knocked gently and heard a muffled “come in”.

He entered and found her standing with her back to the door struggling to zip up a bag with her one good arm. A friend or family member must have brought in a change of clothes and some toiletries for her.

Silent, he moved towards the bed and held the end of the bag so she could get a grip on the zipper and close the bag.

“Thanks,” She warmly said and turned around to greet her aide. She must have thought his arm belonged to a nurse or someone else; her smiling face fell into a scowl when she saw him.

“Please before you yell at me to get out, let me explain about the other day.” Nick quickly got the words out, hoping she would listen.

“Fine, I promised everyone I would hear you out if you tried again.” She sat back on the bed and leaned on her one good arm, waiting for his explanation.

“You talked about me with other people?” His voice had an air of cockiness to it that he hadn’t intended.

“Nothing good, I promise you that.” Was it his imagination or did he hear a hint of playfulness in her voice just now. “I noticed you managed to walk away without a scratch.” The playfulness was gone, back was the girl on the verge of yelling at him to get out.

Nick shrugged. His eyes flashed to her head and arm again. “Are those your only injuries?” He asked.
“A few bruised ribs and a monster headache can be added to the list.”

“I’ve told the insurance not to dispute the claim, to just outright pay. And if there is anything they don’t cover,” Nick paused unable to believe what he was about to say, “If there is anything they don’t cover, I will pay out of pocket.” He looked at her expecting a smart ass comment to be flung his way but she sat staring at him open mouthed.

“You say that now.” She finally responded.

“There’s the comment I was waiting for.” He pulled a card out of his pocket and handed it to her. “This is the number for my finance guy. Give him a call when you find out if there are any bills insurance won’t cover, he’ll cut a check.”

“Just like that?” Her disbelief apparent on her face.

“Well I’m sure he’ll want to see some bills or something for proof, but yah, just like that.” Nick saw a smile creep onto Lindsey’s face, he instantly felt relieved when he saw her put the card into her wallet.

“Thanks.” She sat on the bed looking at him. They stayed like for a few minutes, Nick unsure of what to say next.

“How are you…”

“What’s next…” They spoke at the same time. Lindsey’s head dropped into a little chuckle, Nick was pleased that she seemed to have warmed up to him a bit.

“You first.” He told her.

“I was just wondering if you had more or if you were finally going to leave.”

Maybe Nick misjudged the chuckle. He continued what he was going to say anyway. “I was curious as to how you were going to get home today. Did you have someone that is going to come get you?”

“I was going to call a cab before you came in.” Lindsey shrugged her good arm and moved to get off the bed. “I should do that before it is too long so I can get out of here at a decent time.”

“I'll take you home.” Nick offered before he could stop himself.

“You?” She questioned. “I don't even know you, except for the fact that you run lights and t-bone oncoming cars.”

Nick stuck out his hand as a greeting. “Hi, my name is Nick.” He was pleased that she took his hand and shook it warmly.

“Nice to meet you, I think. So about that ride....”

“Yes?”

“It's not the same car you ran into me yesterday is it? I am not sure I could handle being in that car.”

“Nah, I am taking that one to get repaired at some point, I am in a different car today.” Nick moved to grab her bag from her to carry out. “We could stop and get some lunch or something too? I'm buying” He added on.

“Sure, that could be okay.” She smiled.

Nick smiled back. He carried her bag to the door and waited for her to double check that she had everything then they left and rode the elevator in silence. They walked to Nick's car and he held the door open for her.

“Okay, where do you want to eat?” He asked her when he slid behind the steering wheel.
She gave directions to what she was saying was her favorite spot. They got a table and sat down.

“So,” Lindsey said to Nick after they ordered their food. “What do you want to talk about?”

Nick played with his napkin. He really didn't know what he wanted to talk about. He told her about the insurance, he offered her a ride home, what else should he talk to Lindsey about? “So what do you do for a living?” He finally asked.

“I work in the fascinating world of retirement services.” She rolled her eyes.

“So you advise people how to invest their money? That has to take some brains.” Nick meant it to be a compliment but it did not come out how he meant.

“No, I don't have my series six license. I mainly work in the processing side, in fact I scan the documents into the program so that the cash processors can allocate the cash. It's not complicated but I work an early shift and am able to leave by three and have a good bit of the afternoon to do other stuff. I would like to become an account manager or work in our investment group one day.” She replied and then looked away unsure if she should have said that much about her job.

“Do you like what you are doing?”

“It's employment and is a stepping stone to something I might like to do. I am not sure if I get an account manager job if it will be what I want to do forever either.” She laughed uncomfortably.

“So still don't know what you want to be when you grow up?” Nick laughed at his own comment but she didn't seem to amused. The food arrived shortly after and they ate in silence. When the finished he drove her home in almost silence. The only speech was from Nick asking where to go and from Lindsey replying to him when to turn.

“Here you are.” He said as he pulled up in front of her building.

“Thanks, I guess. I mean thanks for the ride and for offering to cover what the insurance won't, not for putting me in the situation to begin with.” Lindsey moved a strand of hair behind her ear.

“Despite some of the eerie calm we had during lunch, I had fun. Can I get your number so we can hang out again?” Nick chanced.

“Nick, that might not be a good idea.” She grabbed her bag and opened the door and moved as quick as she could inside her apartment.

Nick sighed and slammed his hands on his steering wheel. “Smooth Carter.” He shrugged it off, what did he expect from a girl he injured in a car
accident.