- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter.
Enjoy =)
Chapter Two-Hundred-Thirty-Three



When Nick got back to the waiting room, he pushed open the door and poked his head in and everybody looked at him curiously.


“Ashley wants you all to go back there now. I’m gonna go get our kids. I’m sure Kota is having a really hard time right now.” Brian nodded, knowing perfectly well that his niece is having a hard time.


“And I’m sure it’ll make things so much better when you tell her you and Ashley are back together?” he asked, giving Nick a hopeful look. Nick nodded while smiling slightly.


“Yes it will.” Brian grinned, as did everybody else.


“And it would be even more great if you all stopped giving me the cold shoulder treatment too.”


“Well, since you and Ashley are together again, maybe you will stop being a jackass and we won’t have to give you the cold shoulder treatment,” AJ replied, while patting Nick on the back. “Now show me to my sister’s room.” Nick rolled his eyes and stepped to the side allowing everybody to leave the waiting room and he led the way down the hall to Ashley’s room. When they got there, AJ walked in with everybody close behind him. Nick hung back in the doorway to listen for a few moments.


“Hey sweetheart…how are you feeling?” AJ asked gently.


“Like I just got a bullet shot through my arm,” Ashley answered; her lower lip stuck out in a pout looking almost identical to Dakota when she pouts.


“You know, this isn’t exactly what I meant when I said to make Nick worry for awhile,” he commented and he went over and kissed her forehead before sitting in the chair next to her bed. Ashley stuck her tongue out at him playfully, before receiving hugs and kisses on the forehead from everybody else. Nick smiled a little and he turned and headed for the Orphanage. When he got there he went to the playroom where he found Jerald standing there talking to Scott while they watched all of the kids play. Scott and Jerald turned and looked at him as they heard the door open.


“Hey Nick…what’s going on? What’s the update on Ashley?”


“She’s going to live,” Nick answered in a grateful tone. “They’ve got the bullet out, fixed up her wound and put her arm in a cast that she has to wear for a couple of weeks. She’s pretty sore, but other then that she’s fine.”


“Good, I’m really glad that she’ll be all right,” Jerald replied sincerely. Nick nodded and glanced around the room only seeing Sarah over with Elenore and Josh.


“Where is my baby?” Jerald pointed to the playpen and Nick looked over at it to find her lying there with Bella who was sound asleep. Bella has a blanket placed over her and Dakota is lying there with an empty bottle.


“She’s been in there ever since you left refusing to leave Bella’s side. Ellie was in there with her for awhile but soon decided she wanted Josh.”


“How’s she doing?” Nick asked quietly. “Emotionally, I mean.”


“Well, she was okay earlier though she asked me a lot of questions about Ashley and was worried about her. But I don’t know about right now, she’s been very quiet. I was just planning on going to check on her when you came in.” Nick nodded and he went over to the playpen and leaned over it looking in at his daughter and he saw her lying there with tears rolling down her cheeks.


“Aww…honey…” Nick spoke sympathetically, his heart breaking at the sight of her and he reached over and gathered her up in his arms and he hugged her close to him. She slid her arms around him and rested her head against his shoulder.


“It’s okay…Ashley is going to be okay,” he reassured as he rubbed his hand over her back.


“I don’ts like these past couple of days, daddy” Dakota insisted, and she began to cry.


“I know, it’s been a very hard couple of days…” he agreed with her as he sat down on the floor with her and he hugged her close rocking her in his arms. “I’m sorry you had to go through all of this baby, I’m really sorry. It’s all daddy’s fault.”


“I wants you an’ Ashee to gets back together.” Nick gently cupped her cheek in his hand and tilted her head back so she was looking him in the eyes and he gave her a slight smile, though tears are rolling down his own face.


“Your wish is my command.”


“Really daddy?” Dakota asked hopefully and Nick nodded.


“We made up just now.” Dakota threw her arms around him and hugged him tight, as she buried her face in his shoulder and he rubbed his hand over her back.


“Can we goes to see her?”


“We will in a little while. But first, I thought maybe you, Sarah and I could go buy her some flowers – and maybe some get well soon balloons. Maybe you and Sarah could pick out a soft teddy bear that she could have to snuggle up with. She’s going to be spending a lot of time in bed in the next few days, we wouldn’t want her to get lonely.” Dakota nodded dutifully.


“I hafta help pick out the flowers.”


“But of course you do. No one picks them better then Dakota does.” Dakota beamed at him, the first real smile in days and he got up with her rested on his hip and he looked at Sarah who was over in the block area sitting on the floor though she was watching Nick and Dakota more then playing with blocks.


“Come on Sarah. We’re gonna go buy flowers for Ashley.” Sarah got up and went over to him and he took her hand. He looked at Bella for a few moments, and then set both girls down and he went over and gathered the baby up in his arms, being careful not to wake her up. He looked around and saw that her stroller was near. He brought her over to it and lay her inside and he placed her blanket over her. When he finished doing that, he lifted Dakota back up in his arms and she slid her arms around him, rested her head against his shoulder and snuggled into him as he pushed the stroller out of the playroom and Sarah walked a long side it. When they got out into the lobby they found Marcus and Laney there.


“Where are you four headed? Shouldn’t you be in the hospital wing visiting Ashley?” Marcus asked curiously.


“We’re off to buy her some flowers and such. Wanna tag a long?”


“I think it’d be best. Are we driving?”


“No, I thought we’d just go down the street to Walgreen’s. It won’t hurt us to walk.” Marcus nodded and he scooped Sarah up and placed her on his one shoulder where she was safe and they all headed out of the orphanage and went down the street to Walgreen’s. When they got there, they spent fifteen minutes picking out stuff. Dakota helped Nick pick out a bouquet of red roses, insisting that they were the prettiest ones there. Nick picked out some red ‘get well soon’ heart shaped balloons and Sarah chose a nice brown teddy bear with a red bow around it’s neck and it’s very soft. Perfect for cuddling with. Nick tied the end of the balloons to the teddy bear’s arm and handed it to Sarah whom still sat on Marcus’ shoulder and Laney chuckled in amusement on their way out of the store.


“Do you think you can hold that the whole way to the Orphanage sweetheart?’’ Sarah smiled some as she cuddled the teddy bear close to her and she nodded. Dakota walked a long side the stroller cradling the bouquet of roses – which Nick had gotten wrapped up in pretty paper and Nick pushed the stroller.


“I want you either holding onto the stroller or my pantleg Kota, Daddy would be sad if he lost you.”


“I am daddy,” Dakota promised, as she squeezed his pantleg in her hand to reassure him.


“How’s Bells doing? I heard her fussing a little earlier,” Nick questioned, looking at Laney. Laney peeked in the stroller and smiled a little.


“She’s fine. She’s totally enjoying the walk.” By the time they arrived back at the Orphanage, Nick’s cell phone rang. He reached into his pocket, pulled the phone out, and flipped it open before placing it to his ear.


“What’s up? Nick here.”


“Where are you? You said you were just going to get your kids but when Brian went down there to get Josh, you were gone.” Kevin interrogated. “Not to mention, your girlfriend is starting to miss you.”


“I’m on my way there, don’t have a cow Kevin,” Nick reassured, and he can just tell that Kevin is rolling his eyes at him.


“Yeah, well, you better.” He insisted, and he hung up his phone. Nick did as well and put his phone in his pocket.


“Don’t worry, it was just Kevin growing some more gray hairs.” Dakota giggled and Nick smiled down at her, happy to finally hear that sound again. When they arrived over at the hospital wing Nick led them down the hall to Ashley’s room and when they were just right outside, Marcus lifted Sarah up and put her so her feet were on the ground. Nick squatted down and wrapped his arms around each of his girls before whispering instructions.


“Why don’t you two girls go in the room first? I think it would put a big smile on her face to see the two of you walking in there with all of these presents for her. Okay?”


“Kay,” Dakota whispered back and Sarah nodded dutifully. Dakota linked her arm with Sarah’s then and together the two of them walked in the room. Nick stood in the doorway to watch and Marcus and Laney peeked over his shoulder too.


“Hi Ashee,” Dakota greeted. Ashley looked away from Denise and at the two girls who had entered and just as Nick predicted, her face lit up into a huge smile.


“Hey girls, what do you have there?” She asked and Dakota and Sarah broke apart and each went on opposite sides of the bed and over to Ashley so they were standing on either side of her.


“We brought you some presents,” Dakota announced, and she leaned up on her tiptoes and kissed Ashley’s cheek. “Cause we wants you to gets better,” she added earning a few ‘awe’s’ from several people, including Ashley herself.


“Thanks ladies, this will most definitely do the trick. I feel better all ready, especially now that you are here.” Dakota and Sarah beamed and they each hugged Ashley as they had crawled up onto the bed next to her, but they were careful not to hurt her. When they each pulled away, she eyed her gifts interestedly.


“Let’s see here,” she spoke and she took the red roses into her arms.


“I bet Miss Dakota helped pick these out. Right?” Dakota nodded and Ashley leaned down and smelled them.


“Mmm…they are perfect.”


“I knew you’d likes them bestest. They were the prettiest ones there.”


“I love them,” Ashley promised and she kissed her forehead softly, before turning her attention on the teddy bear and balloons that Sarah still held.


“What do you have there, sweetie?” Sarah smiled at her shyly and Ashley took the teddy bear into her hands next.


“Ohh…wow…this is very soft. Did you pick this out?” Ashley asked as she rubbed the teddy bears’ paw against her cheek. Sarah nodded.


“I’m definitely going to love snuggling up to this at night. And he’s so adorable. Thanks sweetie,” she told her and she cupped her cheek with her good hand before leaning forward and kissing her forehead too and she looked up at the balloons next.


“Daddy picked those out,” Dakota announced proudly and Ashley looked over at Nick who still stood in the doorway leaning against the doorframe except now he was cradling Bella in his arms. Ashley motioned for him to come to her with her finger and Nick did as told, walking over to her and carrying Bella with him. When he was standing at the side of the bed she reached up and cupped his chin in her hand before pulling his face down to hers and he brushed his lips over hers for a brief kiss and Dakota smiled happily at the sight. When they pulled apart, he sat down on the bed next to her with Bella and Ashley reached over and rubbed her finger over Bella’s hand delicately.


“How is my baby doing? I think the hardest part of being in this cast is getting used to the fact that I can’t hold her for the next couple of weeks,” she asked softly, her lower lip stuck out in a pout.


“I know,” Nick replied sympathetically and he reached out and tucked a lose strand of her ponytail back behind her ear. “I’m sorry honey.” Just then, Doctor Johnson walked into the room.


“Hey Ashley, how are you feeling?” He questioned dutifully.


“It’s starting to really hurt now…do you think I could take some painkillers?”


“You can, but the only ones I have for you for now will put you right to sleep for a few hours. I was holding off on them because I knew you wanted to see everybody. Are you ready for them now?” Ashley nodded, with a pleading look in her eyes.


“But can I go sleep in my own room – mine and Nick’s room that is?” she asked softly, looking at Nick and taking his hand into hers and she squeezed it gently as she watched a smile spread across his lips.


“Well, I kind of wanted you to stay over here in the hospital wing for awhile, so that you could receive all the medical care that you need.”


“You let me stay in my own room over at the Orphanage after my recovery from nearly drowning…and I was in a much worse condition.”


“That’s true…”


“Please? I really want to sleep in my own bed…and for Nick to nurse me back to health. It’s all I want.”


“I suppose I could come down there to check on you instead.” Ashley nodded eagerly.


“Should I get you a wheel chair?”


“No, it’s all right I can carry her,” Nick insisted and he stood up and took Bella over to her stroller and lay her inside it. Bella started to fuss so he grabbed her pacifier and placed it in her mouth and held it there for a few seconds, and she calmed down. When Bella was settled, Nick went over and carefully scooped Ashley up in his arms and she wrapped her good arm around his neck and rested her head against his shoulder. Brian and Howie grabbed up her presents and followed Nick out of the room with them and everybody else followed too. When they arrived back at the Orphanage, Nick took her up to their room and he lay her in bed.


“Are you comfortable? Do you need more pillows?” he questioned as he grabbed one of his pillows and placed it under her head.


“Could I get one to put under my arm?”


“Absolutely,” Nick answered and he grabbed the pillow that AJ had gone into Sarah’s room to retrieve and he carefully placed it so her elbow was rested on it and he covered her up. Abbie jumped up onto the bed and went over and rested her chin on Ashley’s stomach, sensing her ‘mommy’ was hurt. Ashley smiled down at her some and lightly rubbed her hand over her head.


“Where is Brandon at?” Ashley questioned as Doctor Johnson entered the room with the medicine he had promised her. “Why isn’t he here?” Nick noticed the slight disappointment on her face and took in a deep breath and let it out again. He has to learn to get used to this. No more acting like a jackass. He promised her she could be his friend and he knows it’s important to her. All he wants is for her to be happy…and she can’t be happy without him. He knows this now and will hold onto that fact for reassurance everytime he feels jealous. He’ll get through this one way or another. As long as she knows she has to be patient with him – just a little bit.


“Oh crap…I forgot about him,” Doctor Johnson replied, smacking himself in the forehead. “He’s probably still in his studio working away on some art project. He went in there the second you, AJ, and Kevin went to the mall and hasn’t come out since. I don’t think he even knows what happened, otherwise he would have been here.”


“Ohh,” Ashley replied, understanding completely. She knows how deep into his work Brandon can get when he is in the mood for it. Especially if it’s another Peyton project – which is probably the case. He had been on a huge inspiration outage up until the point when he had his first conversation with her at the Christmas Tree Park. Ever since then, all he’s been able to paint – or draw is her.


“Do you want to see him before I give you the painkillers sweetie? I can go get him,” Doctor Johnson offered gently. Ashley shook her head.


“Don’t disturb him, he’s in the middle of doing his best work yet. I’ll see him later on after my nap. Right now all I want is Nicky – and my nap.”


“Yes ma’am,” Doctor Johnson replied and he went over and sat on the edge of the bed next to her. He held his hand out to her and she took the pill from him and placed it into her mouth before allowing him to help her take a drink to swallow it down. When she finished he set her water down on the nightstand and then stood up again. He looked at Nick.


“Let me know if she needs anything – medical wise, and I’ll be here. But I think you can pretty much take over from here.” Nick nodded.


“I will,” He replied while smiling some and Doctor Johnson reached out and gently squeezed his shoulder, before leaving the room. Denise leaned over and kissed Ashley’s forehead.


“I’m going to stay here for the rest of the day – probably up until after dinner, so if you need me I’ll be right downstairs with Alex okay?” Ashley nodded.


“Kay,” she replied gratefully. She never thought she would have this again. A motherly figure close by to take care of her when she is sick – or hurt. Denise left the room and Ashley received hugs and kisses from everybody. Brian, AJ, Kevin, Howie, Riley, Brooke, Kori, and she even insisted she get a hug from Wiley, which surprised everybody. She received hugs from all of the kids too, before Brian suggested they go downstairs because he has a project for them all – Dakota and Sarah included. It took a little bit of prying, but he eventually got both girls to agree on going with him. When everybody was gone, Nick crawled onto the bed and lay next to her and he wrapped an arm around her waist before leaning down and kissing her forehead softly.


“I love you,” She reminded him softly, as she wrapped her good arm around his neck and pulled him near. He rested his forehead against hers and gazed into her eyes.


“I love you too,” he insisted.


“And yes, I’ll be very patient with you.” Nick raised his eyebrow incredulously.


“I know we have this connection and all…but that’s just creepy.” Ashley giggled.


“Why?”


“Because it just is. How did you know what I was thinking?”


“Because I know you.”


“Well I know you too, but still.”


“I saw the look in your eyes when I mentioned Brandon, it wasn’t hard to interpret. Once I get the sense of your feelings it’s not hard to determine what you are thinking. They’re just guesses of course…but I find the more I study you, the more easier it is to guess.” She pointed out.


“So…short version of your explanation is, you’re just good at reading people.”


“Pretty much. But I find you to be the easiest the more I try. And of course I will be patient with you. I know if I want to make this work between us, I have to be. But you have to try Nicky. Do your part.”


“I will, I promise. I want you to spend all the time you want with Brandon…as long as you don’t forget to spend time with me too.”


“I won’t. I promise Nicky.”


“Thank-you,” Nick replied gratefully, and he rubbed his nose over hers affectionately.


“How is your arm?”


“Really sore,” Ashley answered in a somewhat whiney tone.


“It’s going to take a little while for the medicine to kick in. Why don’t you close your eyes and meet it half way?”


“I don’t want to,” Ashley insisted, shaking her head.


“I’ll be right here the whole time…I’m not going anywhere.” Ashley raised her eyebrow in amusement.


“Looks like I’m not the only person who can read people.”

“The only person I can read is you. But only sometimes…I wish I could take a trip through your mind to see just exactly what goes on in there.”


“Don’t bother with the trip, Nicky. Just look in a mirror…because it’s filled with mostly thoughts of you.”


“Is that right?” Nick asked while smirking a little and Ashley nodded. He leaned down and brushed his lips lightly over hers then and when he pulled back he caressed her cheek with his forefinger and thumb. He stared down at her for a few moments in silence.


“So…what’d you and AJ buy at the mall earlier?” he asked softly and she smiled up at him some.


“I’ll show you a little later.”


“Are they in his car? I can have him bring them up here if you want.” Ashley shook her head.


“It’s not necessary baby, trust me.” Nick raised his eyebrow curiously, and she giggled a little.


“Later.”


“Kay…I’m holding you to that promise. But in the mean time…come on now. Close your eyes,” he insisted gently, and she did as told her eyes fluttering closed, and he began to sing to her softly the words of their song. By the time he finished, she was asleep. He smiled at her, leaned down and kissed her forehead, and then he got up and went to Bella who was in her stroller next to the bed. He looked in at her and saw she was asleep too so he went next door and got her crib. He brought it back into his room and he put it back in it’s rightful place before going over and getting Bella out of her stroller, being careful not to wake her and he brought her over to her crib and lay her in it. He covered her up and then went back into the other room and began moving all of Ashley’s stuff from one room back to the other.