- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter.
Enjoy =)
Three-Hundred-Twenty-One



When Ashley got into Scott’s room she found him lying in his bed reading a magazine but he looked up when he heard her enter and grinned causing her to smile some too.


“Hey sweetie,” he greeted.


“Hi” She replied and she went over and sat in a chair by his bed.


“What’s wrong?” he asked curiously, noticing right off that something is bothering her.


“Oh nothing really…”


“Ash?”


“I’m just a little bothered by all of these love triangles going on around here is all.”


“There’s more then one? I was only aware of the triangle Kori, Wi, and I have going on.”


“Well now there’s going to be another one – Steve, Jennifer, and Anna.”


“Oh yeah huh.”


“Yeah…” Ashley replied softy and Scott moved over a little.


“Come here, come lay with me” Scott requested and Ashley raised her eyebrow.


“Are you sure? I don’t want to hurt you…”


“You won’t hurt me honey,” he insisted. “Please lay with me.” Ashley regarded him for a moment and then did as he asked and gently crawled onto the bed and she lay on her back next to him and the two of them lay there quietly staring up at the ceiling.


“Am I being a dramatic for worrying?”


“No I understand completely why you are bothered. You’re a very emotional person and you’re very sensitive to other people’s emotions too, you pick up on them very easily. So I would imagine things like love triangles and morons running off by themselves without protection has to be driving you nuts. You feel Jennifer’s pain am I right?”


“Yeah…I do. Everytime I see her and Steve in the same room I catch her watching him and she wants him so bad. He broke her heart, Scott…”


“Yeah, it happens…” Scott replied. “I can imagine how much it’s driving you crazy. It’s like an empath walking into a room full of feelings and emotions and feeling every single one of them at the same time. And knowing you, the caring person that you are with a heart the size of an Elephant all you want to do is help – to make it better. Especially when those people who are hurting are people you care about. Right?”


“Yeah…”


“I understand sweetheart, I do. But sometimes you just have to sit back and let them help themselves no matter how crazy it’s making you. You need to learn how to control it. Who needs help and who doesn’t.”


“I just don’t want to see Jen get hurt. She had her hopes up, you know?”


“Well no one does Ash but if you want my honest opinion I think it’s inevitable. I think it’s going to happen whether any of us like it or not. Think about the situation here…Jen never really had Steve in the first place. You and Brandon forced her on him – hell we all did. And he tried, he really did we all saw it but he was just too wrapped up in Anna and her situation. Now that she’s better he had the chance to go to Jen but he still seems to be drawn to Anna. I think it’s safe to say he’s meant to be with her…not Jen. And as sad as it is that she’s going to get hurt, there’s nothing we can do about it. It happens. You can continue to force Jen on Steve but its only going to make things worse because his heart is with Anna. It always has been.”


“I see what you are saying,” Ashley admitted regrettably and Scott took her hand into his, laced their fingers together and he kissed it.


“You’re such a sweetheart and I know you don’t like to see people you care about get hurt but sometimes you just can’t control it.”


“I wish I knew how to control my emotions and feelings…that’s for sure. Sometimes I wonder if I was born an actual empath…” she replied and Scott chuckled.


“Well I don’t know about you having magical powers or anything crazy like that…but I think you were just given a very special heart. You care so much about everybody whose earned it and we all love you so much for it. So don’t beat yourself up okay?”


“Kay…”


“I’m sorry I frightened you so bad yesterday I feel so awful. I knew the moment you intentionally hurt me just how overwhelmed I made you because you weren’t yourself at all. You wouldn’t hurt anybody.”


“I felt horrible for doing so the moment you calmed me down…it’s all I thought about since then. I was just so angry, so scared and upset…I don’t know what came over me.”


“It’s okay” Scott insisted. “I know you weren’t in your right mind. I know that isn’t really you. I love you and I don’t want you to beat yourself up okay?”


“I love you too” Ashley replied and she touched her forehead with his as they continue to lay side by side holding one hand with their fingers entwined. “And I really want you to be my brother in law. That’s always been my dream since I was a little girl. You and Kori…it’s all I’ve ever known. You were like Prince Charming and Cinderella in my eyes. Am I a horrible person for still wanting that? For not giving Wiley a chance? He’s a great man, he is. But I can’t help but be biased to you.”


“I’m the wrong person to ask that question sweetheart because I’m still holding onto that dream right along with you. I made a mistake…a very big one. I just want a chance to make it up to her. To prove I’m not that kid anymore.”


“I can see that she loves him…I do. And he loves her too, and he’s amazing with her. They’re cute together and believe me I’ve tried to give him a chance. But everytime I do I remember you and the spark you two had…and still have. Wiley just can’t compare to it. Ever. She loves him but not the way she loves you. I see the battle going on in her head…I know my sister. She’s just so confused right now.”


“Well I’ll be here when she sorts it all out,” Scott promised and Ashley squeezed his hand gently.


“I’m rooting for you but just so you know I’m remaining neutral in the presence of my sister. Her and I have come such a long way I don’t want to ruin it. But I’m silently cheering for you.”


“That makes me happy to know,” Scott replied.


~*~*~*~*~


“Hey J-Man where’s—“


“-Right next door,” Doctor Johnson interrupted Nick as he had poked his head in Anna’s door wondering where Scott has been moved.


“Thanks,” Nick smirked and he shut Anna’s door again before going next door to Scott’s room and he knocked on the door lightly getting Scott and Ashley’s attention.


“Nicky!” Ashley cheered happily.


“Hi!” He chuckled, and he walked in the room and went over and knelt down beside the bed, cupped Ashley’s chin in his hand and leaned forward and brushed his lips lightly over hers.


“If I didn’t know for sure that he is still hung up on Kori and I didn’t learn my lesson from the last time I think I would be pretty jealous right about now,” he teased.


“You have no reason to be,” Ashley insisted. “Scott is my future brother n’ law.”


“Says you,” Nick replied.


“I know my sister Nicky.”


“Are you sure you need another brother? Isn’t AJ enough? You would think he’d seem more like four brothers put together.”


“I feel very blessed to have AJ,” Ashley insisted while sliding her arms around Nick’s neck. “He takes very good care of me.”


“Not as good as I take care of you though, right?” Nick double-checked.


“Course not,” Ashley played along and he smirked and rubbed his nose lightly over hers.


“Okay none of that in my hospital room you two I mean it.” Nick laughed.


“Like you could do anything about it.”


“I could have you escorted out,” Scott informed. “See my pretty button?” he asked while pointing to the button he was told to push if he needed anything.


“You wouldn’t dare,” Nick insisted and Scott gave him a try me look.



~*~*~*~*~*~



“How come Ash gets to call you Steve but her boyfriend doesn’t?” Anna asked Doctor Johnson curiously.


“He could if he wanted to, but he chooses to call me J-Man instead. That’s him being personal with me – the nickname I was given shortly after we met.”


“Ah I see,” Anna replied with a small smile.


“So Anna you never told me what you do for a living,” Doctor Johnson informed, directing the conversation away from him.


“I’m a kindergarten teacher,” Anna explained.


“That would explain why you get so excited when I mention the kids of the Orphanage,” Doctor Johnson mused and Anna nodded.


“I love children.”


“I bet your students miss you a lot.”


“I certainly miss them that’s for sure. I can’t wait to see them again.”


“What Kindergarten?”


“Kingswood Elementary – it’s just right down the street from here.”


“Were you on the way to school or from School when you got into the car accident?”


“From,” Anna answered, thinking about how horrible her day was going that day. She was late for work, her and her ex-husband were fighting that day, none of her students wanted to listen to her at all, and by the time she was driving home she was on stress overload and crying her eyes out. She remembers asking god for a hint on what he wants from her and the second she did some guy crashed right into her – head on collision right in front of Ramsey Hospital. The next thing she wakes up to is this gorgeous Doctor who doesn’t seem to ever want to leave her side unless he absolutely has to. How ironic is that? Suddenly her door opened again and Ashley walked in holding Nick’s hand.


“Steve, its time for Beauty & The Beast tryouts – are you coming?”


“Yes ma’am – Anna and I are coming,” he told her giving her a look as if daring her to argue with him. Ashley smiled some.


“The more the merrier – I bet Anna would enjoy to be out and about for a bit” She replied flashing them both her genuine smile and Doctor Johnson smiled back at her, silently thanking her with his eyes. Ashley stared back at him with a don’t mess this one up or I’ll kick your arse kind of stare. He turned his attention on Nick then.


“Nick do me a favor and go ask Cindy for a wheel chair,” he instructed.


“Yes sir,” Nick saluted and he turned and left the room. By the time they had Annabelle in her wheelchair – IV Pole intact, Doctor Johnson wheeled her out of her room and Nick and Ashley followed him to the Orphanage wing.


“Cindy I’m taking Anna over to the Orphanage. If her family stops by have someone take them over there okay?” He asked as they came across Cindy at the receptionist desk.


“Okay” Cindy replied while eyeing the doctor and patient curiously as he went on by. When they arrived at the Orphanage they went to the auditorium which was already full of eager kids who want to be part of the upcoming play. Jennifer who was kind enough to volunteer to run the auditions looked up upon seeing the door open and she raised her eyebrow as she noticed Doctor Johnson wheeling Annabelle into the room.


“What is he doing here?” she whispered to Ashley when she joined her side.


“He wanted to watch the auditions” Ashley shrugged. “Are you gonna be okay?”


“Yeah fine” Jennifer smiled. “I’m over him.” Ashley frowned.


“Jenn, I’m sorry…I shouldn’t have invited him.”


“No Ash seriously I’m fine. I have my eyes on someone new anyway.”


“Really? Who?” Jennifer discreetly indicated toward the front row and Ashley looked to where she was pointing and she saw Jaime sitting on one side of Brooke and AJ on the other.


“…I’m assuming you’re talking about Jaime because he is the only single man there” Ashley replied while looking at Jennifer with a small smile on her face and Jennifer returned the smile.


“Jenn that’s great, I wish you all the luck with him.”


“You spend a lot of time with him, right?”


“Kind of, yeah. When the entire group does things that involves Brooke. Why?”


“Does he have an dark demons eating him up inside the way Doctor Johnson did? Are there any dead siblings that I should know about? Buried guilt?”


“Well…how much do you know about Brooke?” Ashley asked carefully, as she doesn’t want to go around talking about Brooke’s past with people incase they don’t know about it and aren’t supposed to.


“I know she was raped when she was in high school.”


“Okay well then the only thing you should know about Jaime is that he is extremely protective of her. The rapist was his best friend so he feels pretty guilty about the fact that he didn’t know about it, that he couldn’t protect her but I think you will be okay with him. He’s not like Steve at all.”


“And there is no other woman in his life?” she asked, looking pointedly at Anna.


“Just his sisters. If you love them and don’t mind having them in your life your good to go.” Jennifer nodded thoughtfully and Ashley gently squeezed her shoulder.


“I don’t want to push you onto him because I know that didn’t work out so well when Brandon and I did that with you and Steve, but if you want my advice I think you should go for it. It would definitely do Brooke and Peyton a huge favor that’s for sure.”


“I’ll have to think about it,” Jennifer replied. “I’m not sure if it’s such a good idea to date the boss’s brother, but…he’s pretty hot…”


“I never had you down as the tattooed, long hair, bad ass looking type before” Ashley replied amusedly.


“He may look bad ass but I witnessed him as Zippy the Elf before.” Ashley laughed.


“True, true.”


Anyway,” Jennifer replied. “We should probably start try outs – these kids are getting rowdy” she added as she watched Brooke tell a boy off for causing trouble.


“Yes, yes we should” Ashley replied as she herself looked over at Dakota who was waiting ever so patiently. “Who all is trying out for Belle?” She added as she looked at Jennifer’s clipboard.


“Just Kota,” Jennifer replied.


“Really?” Ashley asked slightly shocked.


“Yup. I questioned them all about that just before you entered the room and they all told me that it’s only natural that she and Josh be Belle and Beast.”


“Chris and Ellie didn’t by any chance threaten them did they?”


“Nope, they were all genuine about it. They’re the next cutest couple in this building, it’s no secret.”


"Do I even want to know who was deemed the first cutest couple?" Ashley asked while rolling her eyes amusedly and Jennifer laughed.


"I think you already know the answer to that one."


"If it were my choice Id say Brooke and AJ."


"They're adorable, but you and Nick are the one with the fairytale romance."


“Yeah, yeah" Ashley blushed. "So, who are we calling up first?"


“I think we should go with the two main characters first. Even though the kids have all made it clear that they should have it, I think they should at least come up and try out like everybody else so that it’s fair.”


“Me too, and I think Kota was looking forward to her try out. I heard her singing in the bathtub earlier.”


“Okay, so we’ll do Beast first?”


“Sounds good,” Ashley smiled and Jennifer turned her attention on the kids. She went over to the microphone and spoke into it.


“Alright children, settle down, settle down” She told them, causing the whole room to go silent.


“I want all of you to sit down in the chairs and we’ll begin,” She instructed, and they all did as they were told. She waited until they were all seated and then she smiled.


“We’re going to start with The Beast first since he is our main character,” She informed.


“But, why? Everybody wants Josh and Kota to have the part as Beast and Belle” Gabe spoke up.


“Yes we know, but we’re going to watch everybody try out today,” Jennifer explained. “So Josh will you come up here please?” Josh grinned and he stood up from his seat beside Chris and he nervously walked on up to the stage. When he got up there Jennifer smiled at him and took the microphone off of it’s stand and she handed it on over to Josh.


“There you go buddy, do your thing” She told him and she went over to the side of the stage and stood next to Ashley who was now holding Bella. Kori had brought her over to her when she got fussy. Josh stared out into the audience then having a small case of butterflies. What If he doesn’t do very well? What If he messes up? What if they decide they don’t like him and replace him? While looking out into the awaiting audience, his eyes focused on the one girl who truly matters – Dakota. Dakota smiled at him encouragingly, as if some how sensing that he is nervous and it made a feeling of warmth rush through him. He can do this. Dakota is watching and nothing can possibly go wrong when his angel is watching him. Suddenly remembering what he was going to do, he looked at Jennifer.


“Actually, can Kota come up here and help me with my try out? What I wanted to do…kind of has Belle in it. So I can’t do it without her.”


“Sure,” Jennifer smiled. “Whatever helps.” Josh looked out into the audience just on time to see his Angel get up and go walk toward him. When she was standing next to him he handed her another microphone. They made brief eye contact, silently communicating with one another, and then Josh went right into it.


“ARGHHHH! THAT HURTS!” he roared.


“If you’d hold still it wouldn’t hurt as much!” Dakota reasoned.


“Well if you hadn’t have run away this wouldn’t have happened.”


“If you hadn’t frightened me I wouldn’t have run away!”


“Well you shouldn’t have been in the west wing!”


“Well, you should learn to control your temper.” Josh opened his mouth and pointed at her like he was going to say something, but then closed it again as if he couldn’t think of anything more to add to the argument. “Now hold still,” She added while pretending to press a cloth to his paw. “This might sting a little.” Josh winced and growled in pain. “By the way…thank-you for saving my life.” Josh stopped growling then.


“You’re welcome.” They paused then, and turned and looked at their audience and they all clapped and cheered them on. Josh and Dakota beamed and looked at Jennifer then.


“Since I have the two of you up here at the same time, why don’t you sing Something There for us? Just so that I know you two have the songs down.”


“Kay, but I still want to sing the song I planned on singing” Dakota informed.


“You will get to do your own audition by yourself too I promise.”


“Kay,” Dakota smiled and she and Josh prepared to do Something There together in front of everybody. The both of them trying real hard not to be nervous. They can’t be. They’re going to be doing this in front of a larger audience later, so they know they might as well get used to it now.