- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter.
Enjoy =)
Chapter Thirty Two:



The next day when Riley and Brian had gotten to the Orphanage and had clocked in, Brian went to the second floor and went down to Nick, Ashley, and Dakota’s room. When he got there he walked in to find that they were all awake. Ashley is awake lying between Nick’s legs with the back of her head rested against Nick’s shoulder and the two of them are covered up in a blanket. Dakota is lying at the foot of the bed and the three of them are watching cartoons.


“Hey you three! Good morning,” he greeted with a big cheerful grin upon his face. Nick chuckled and shook his head.


“Man Frick, ever since you and Riley became a couple you’ve been way too happy. It’s beginning to creep me out.” Brian smirked and stuck his tongue out at the younger man.


“Anyway, I came up here to ask you a question Nick.”


“Okay, what’s up?” Nick asked curiously, as he kissed Ashley’s forehead and hugged her close as his arms are wrapped around her waist.


“I was wondering if I could borrow Dakota for the morning. I want to take her shopping.” Hearing this request, Dakota suddenly looked up at Brian excitedly.


“We’s go shopping uncle Brian??”


“Yup, that’s if your daddy will let us,” Brian answered, grinning at her. Dakota turned to Nick suddenly.


“Please daddy may I goes shopping with Uncle Brian pleeease?” Nick looked at the older man quizzically.


“Why do you want to take her shopping? That’s kinda random.”


“I need her help with something - only her help. So can I do it? We’ll be having breakfast there and everything.”


“Yeah, sure I guess. Just let me get her dressed. She had her bath last night so it will only take a few moments.” Nick answered. He carefully placed his finger under Ashley’s chin and tilted her head back so she’s looking up at him and he kissed her lips softly before placing her beside him and getting out of bed. He scooped Dakota up and brought her to her closet so she could pick out her clothes. When she did she decided on the Green Day t-shirt and the skirt that Ashley had helped her pick out in Hot Topic. He got some panties and socks and he grabbed her little black converse shoes. He turned on the closet light and shut the door just a crack. He waited as she got dressed into her clothes, than he knelt down and zipped up her skirt for her. When he finished he kissed her cheek.


“You look adorable,” he told her. “My little scene kid.” Dakota giggled.


“Why don’t we go talk Ashee into doing your hair for you, Hmm?”


“Okay,” Dakota replied happily, and she wrapped her arms around Nick’s neck allowing him to stand up with her and he brought her out of the closet. When he did he placed her on the bed and she went and hugged Ashley. Ashley smiled a little bit and hugged her back.


“Don’t you look cute in your new outfit,” Dakota beamed happily.


“Wills you do my hair Ashee? Please?”


“Mm hmm,” Ashley answered, and she looked at Nick who had gotten a brush and two rubber bands. He handed them to Ashley and Nick motioned for Brian to follow him out in the hall so he could see just exactly what his best friend was up to. By the time Ashley had finished putting Dakota’s hair up into pigtails, Brian and Nick walked in the room.


“Ready to go Kota?” Brian asked, that big silly grin still plastered on his face. Dakota nodded.


“Uh-huhs! Ready!” Brian went to the foot of the bed and held his arms out to the little girl. Dakota got up and went to him allowing him to scoop her up into his arms and he looked at Nick.


“We’ll be back in a few hours,” Brian told him. Nick nodded and Brian walked out of the room and down to the lobby.


“What do you needs help withs?” Dakota asked curiously.


“You’ll see,” was all Brian said, and he walked into Brooke’s office without knocking as the door was open anyway and when he did Brooke looked up at him curiously.


“Hey Bri, hey Kota, what are you two up to?”


“I’m taking Kota shopping,” Brian answered, and then he asked Brooke the question he came in to ask her. After a lot of persuading he finally got her to give him permission to what he wanted to do, than he walked out of the Orphanage carrying a shocked four year old. She couldn’t believe what he was about to do! He never did such a thing for her before, and he is her uncle. And for Josh? Of all people!


~*~*~*~*~*~


“What does Brian need Dakota’s help with?” Ashley asked Nick curiously, as he had resumed his spot in bed and she snuggled up with him again under the covers.


“You’ll see,” Nick answered mysteriously; keeping Brian’s secret like he had promised to do. Ashley looked up at him curiously and he just grinned.


“He’s going to have fun talking Brooke into this one though,” he commented, before cupping her cheek and he leaned down to claim her lips for his own as she lay there on the bed next to him.


“Should we go have breakfast now?” he asked when he had pulled away and was just lying there caressing her cheek. She nodded up at him and he crawled out of bed, took her hand and helped her up before leading her down to the lobby. When they got down there he brought her into the cafeteria to find Riley, Kori, Spencer, Kevin, Elenore, and Doctor Johnson sitting at the usual table already eating their breakfast. Nick and Ashley got theirs and went to join them.


“Where are Brian and Dakota?” Riley asked curiously.


“You mean you don’t know about the crazy idea he has planned?” Nick asked while looking at Riley amused. Riley shook her head and looked at Nick curiously.


“What is that man up to now?” she asked him and Nick laughed.


“Oh man… you’ll see.”


~*~*~*~*~*~


When Brian and Dakota walked into the mall after eating breakfast at Denny’s he put her down and took a hold of her hand and he led her into the pet store bringing her back to the back of the store where all of the dogs are.


“Okay Kota, we’re looking for a golden retriever puppy. Help me pick out the cutest one okay?”


“Kay,” Dakota replied, and Brian can sense that she is jealous. He didn’t think about that…now that he thinks about it he’s never done anything like this for her before, and she is his niece. He watched her as she walked around peering through all of the windows to the little rooms that the puppies are in.


“What kind of dogs do you like, Kota?” he asked after a few moments of silence. She looked up at him.


“I likes small doggies…that stays small forever like Tyke.”


“Well then why don’t you pick out your very own Chihuahua honey?” Brian suggested and Dakota looked up at him a small smile on her face.


“Really?”


“Mm hmm…I’m sure your daddy is going to kill me when we get back, but it’s all good. I’ll take care of him. And I bet Tyke could sure use a friend.” Dakota smiled excitedly and she now began to look for a Chihuahua instead. When she found them she pointed out one in particular to him and he kneeled down next to her.


“I wants that one! Please Brian?”


“Aww…she’s cute. She looks just like Tyke.” Brian replied. “Alright, you wait here and I’m gonna go get one of the owners to the store to get her out for me.”


“Kay,” Dakota replied happily, and Brian went over to the front desk. While he was gone Dakota looked around and she suddenly spotted the golden retrievers. She walked over to them and peered inside. All five of the puppies were lying down not having a care in the world who looked in at them - all except one puppy who was up and jumping about the moment he spotted Dakota. That’s the one Josh has to have! She just knows it. When Brian returned, he looked at her curiously.


“What are you looking at now honey?”


“I found the puppy that you should gets for Josh,” Dakota answered and while the store owner was getting Dakota’s Chihuahua Brian walked over to Dakota and looked.

“That’s one Uncle Brian. The playful one” Brian grinned.


“Aww…he is perfect for Josh.” He kneeled down next to Dakota and pulled her into a hug.


“Thanks for the help honey…even if you don’t like Josh,” he told her and Dakota wrapped her arms around him in return.


“Josh is the one who doesn’t likes me. He’s always so mean to me.”


“Oh well I wouldn’t be too sure of that sweetie,” Brian hinted and Dakota cocked her head to the side as she looked at him curiously. He just grinned and looked a the store owner who had come back out with the Chihuahua that Dakota had just picked out.



“Here you go,” She said, and she handed her over to Brian.


“Thanks!” Brian replied cheerfully. “And is there any way possible that we could also get that Golden Retriever in there? The playful one?”


“Sure thing, I’ll be right back.” the lady answered, and she walked back into the room. Brian turned his attention on his excited niece who was waiting ever so patiently for Brian to hand her new dog over to her. He did so and she squealed and hugged her close and she giggled as the dog licked her cheek and wiggled about playfully in her arms - she is just as playful as Tyke is. Brian chuckled.


“What are you going to name her?”


“I don’ts know I gots to think about it for awhile cause it’s gotta be specials.” Just then the lady came back out with the retriever and she handed him over to Brian.


“Aww…he is just the cutest little thing. Josh is going to love him.” He announced, as the puppy showed just as much enthusiasm as the Chihuahua about being picked to go home with him. He talked to the lady and asked her a couple of questions about the retriever and Chihuahua but he didn’t need to know much about the Chihuahua because he already has one. When he finished he looked down at Dakota who sat on the floor playing with her dog.


“Well, should we pick out a few toys for them? And how about a collar? And we’re going to need some dog food too. We’ll see what they have here and then make a trip to Petsmart on our way back to the Orphanage. How’s that?”


“Okay,” Dakota replied happily and she stood up holding her brand new dog close to her with great care. He brought her over to the dog toys and such and they looked around a little bit. Dakota and Brian ended up picking out a couple of toys each for both dogs, than they left the mall and went to Petsmart. Seeing as how it is a pet store and that they’re allowed to bring the dogs in with them, they did just that. After 30 minutes in the pet store they ended up buying a bag full of dog toys, two bags of dog food, some treats, and two dog beds and many other things for a dog. Brian told her they would come back later to get collars when they’ve decided on what they were naming the puppies. That way they could get their names on the collar and everything. When they were finished there, Brian drove them back to the Orphanage. Brian excited about surprising Josh and wondering what his reaction will be AND worried about Nick’s at the same time. When they got there they got out of the car and Brian left all of the stuff in it deciding they would just bring the dogs in for now and he’d come back later for everything else. They walked up to the door and Brian opened it up just a crack. He peeked inside making sure no one they knew was in the lobby. When he saw that it was safe he went all the way in and Dakota followed close behind still holding her Chihuahua close to her. She’s getting a little anxious about her daddy’s reaction too.


“Where do you think they all would be Kota?”


“Maybe the playground,” Dakota suggested.


“Okay, we’ll try there.” He replied and he began to lead her to the playground. When they got out there, sure enough he found Riley, Kevin, Nick, Ashley, Kori, Brooke, Elenore, and Spencer out there. Brian scanned the playground and he saw that Elenore, Spencer, and Josh were all standing together - no doubt that they’re probably arguing over something. Brian decided he would let the adults see first and get his beatings from Nick done and over with. He walked over there with a big grin upon his face and Dakota followed.


“Oh my god…no way,” Riley spoke, as she was the first to see them coming and she stared at Brian and Dakota in complete shock. At this comment, Brooke, Kevin, Kori, Ashley, and Nick all looked to see what she was talking about and Nick raised his eyebrow.


“That is not Tyke! Brian what is she doing with a Chihuahua that is not Li’l Tyke?”


“No you’re right, she isn’t Tyke,” Brian answered, the grin never leaving his face. “That’s Dakota’s brand new Chihuahua.”


“WHAT??” Nick asked in shock.


“That’s right. Kota’s Chihuahua. I bought her for her.” Brian explained and before Nick even had the time to respond they heard a squeal of excitement. All adults turned their heads to see what it was and they saw Elenore standing there gaping at the two dogs in Brian and Dakota’s arms. Brian was thankful for the interruption. Elenore couldn’t have picked a better time to notice them.


“PUPPIES!!!” She exclaimed, and she ran over to Dakota to check out the dog in her arms.


“Isn’t she cute Ellie?? Uncle Brian bought her fer me!” Several kids who had heard Elenore were now looking over at Brian and Dakota curiously. Josh however, only had eyes for the Golden Retriever in Brian’s arms and he was standing there frozen in his spot. Brian kneeled down in the grass and put the puppy down and he looked over at Josh.


“Come here Josh. Don’t you want to see your new puppy?” Josh stared at Brian for a long moment in disbelief. He didn’t really give him a puppy did he? Maybe he heard him wrong. Maybe he really said ‘don’t you want to see Elenore’s puppy?’ or something. No one would ever care enough to buy him a puppy. Plus he bought Dakota a dog…why didn’t he buy Elenore one too? No Backstreet Boy would ever bother buying bully Josh anything. He remembers telling him yesterday that he always wanted a puppy and if he had to choose it would be a Golden Retriever. Maybe he got the dog for Elenore and is just doing this to punish him. To tease him. Tears threatened to fall from Josh’s eyes but he willed them to stay back. He willed himself to be tough and brave like he normally is. He couldn’t let himself cry - not in front of everybody. His father hated it when Josh cried. No boy of mine is going to cry. You wouldn’t want people to think that you’re a sissy girl would you? You had better toughen up right now Josh or I can always give you something to cry about. Is what he would say. But Brian wasn’t looking at Elenore. He was looking at Josh. And Elenore wasn’t playing with the puppy. She was looking at Josh expectantly and wondering why he hadn’t gone over to play with his puppy. Wondering why he is just standing there.


“…T-the puppy is for me?” Josh asked softly, and Brian can see that he is doing his very best to keep his tough guy image and not cry. Brian smiled at him warmly.



“Mm hmm, all yours.” Josh stared at Brian for a few moments not sure of what to do.


“What do I want with a puppy?” Josh asked indifferently. “Especially a puppy from some stupid Backstreet Boy?” And with that, Josh stormed into the Orphanage with enough mixed emotions to drive a kid crazy. He wanted to be angry yet at the same time he wanted to cry. But he couldn’t cry. Not in front of everybody. He had to get to a place where he would be safe. He ran to the only place that he could think of - upstairs to his room. Dakota looked at her uncle to see that he was a little hurt at Josh’s reaction. He wasn’t expecting that kind of reaction from him. This angered Dakota to no end. She handed Elenore her Chihuahua.


“Watch her for me Ellie, okay?” Elenore looked at Dakota confused. She knows her friend is up to something but she nodded nonetheless. Dakota ran into the Orphanage after Josh. When she got there she found him standing at the elevator waiting impatiently for it to open up for him. She ran up to him and grabbed him by the arm and she shoved him up against the wall angrily.


“OW! What the-”


“-WHY Do you gotta be so MEAN Josh…WHY?? My uncle Brian bought that dog for you because he cares about you and then you gotta go and say mean stuffs like that?! If you ask me you don’ts even DESERVE that puppy!”


“Well guess what Dakota, I DIDN’T ASK YOU, Did I? Why do I care what you you think? You’re just a stupid sissy girl who doesn’t know what she’s talking about!”


“Well this sissy girl is done being picked on by YOU! An’ she’s done letting you say mean stuffs to her uncle’s too! When all they’re trying to do is CARES ABOUT YOU! Maybe if you let people in you wouldn’ts be so lonely all the times! You wouldn’t have to be MEAN to make people respect you! Cause if you haven’t noticed its NOTS working!” Josh stood there looking at Dakota in tears as he actually listened to what she had to say. This kind of surprises Dakota, but she’s too caught up in the moment right now to care. “Peoples are SCAREDS of you Josh! Do you LIKES being mean an’ scary? You always complain that my daddy and uncles buy me and Elenore stuffs all the time. And when one of them finally pays attention to you and buys you something special you act like the spoiled little brat that NO ONE LIKES. Like I said, you don’ts deserve that puppy! Be the mean ol’ bully that no one likes. Maybe Brian can gives the puppy to Ellie. Someone who will APPRECIATE it.” and with that, Dakota turned and walked back out to the playground unaware that she was being watched by Brian, Kevin, Riley, Brooke, and Nick who were curious when they saw her run back in after Josh. They sneaked back outside before Dakota got there and all were in complete shock. When she got outside she walked up to her uncle Brian who was now sitting in the grass petting the Golden Retriever and she wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tightly. Brian wrapped his arms around her in return and kissed her forehead.


“Thank-you Uncle Brian for the puppy, I love her lots.”


“Your welcome sweetie.”


“I loves you…” she told him and he smiled down at her and rested his forehead against hers.


“I love you too honey. I am lucky to have such a great niece like you.” When Dakota pulled away from his hug she looked around the playground for Elenore who she knows still has her puppy. When she found her and Spencer sitting under a tree playing with her she went over there. Brian sat there thinking for a few moments, than he scooped the Golden Retriever up in his arms and he got up and went inside to Josh who he knows is probably bawling by now. When he got into the lobby, sure enough there he was sitting by the elevator door. He’s hugging his legs to his chest and he is crying his eyes out - lucky to him no one but him and Brian are in the lobby at the time so they didn’t see him crying and not being the tough kid that he normally is. Brian walked over to him and he crouched down in front of him. Josh looked up at him.


“Go away,” Josh pleaded. “I-I don’t want you to see me like this.” Brian looked at him for a couple of minutes, than he stood up scooping Josh up in one arm as he held the puppy in the other. Josh tensed up at his touch but soon relaxed when he felt Brian hug him close to him. He’s never been hugged in his life. Brian pushed the button to the elevator and stood there waiting. When it opened he went inside it and hit the second floor button. The door closed and the elevator began to take them up. When it stopped and the door opened, Brian walked out and carried Josh down to his room and he went inside and sat him on the bed. He sat next to him and placed the puppy between them.


“Now its just you and me buddy…you can stop putting on the tough guy act now,” he told him. “You don’t have to be so tough Josh…it’s okay to let people in. It’s okay to cry and its okay to let people know how you feel. I promise. No one here is going to laugh at you or call you names. No one.” Josh looked at him for a few moments, tears rolling down his cheeks, than he looked away ashamed.


“My father always said boys don’t cry…he always told me no boy of his is ever going to cry. He always said that if I didn’t toughen up he would give me something to cry about.” Josh told him softly.


“Well I don’t know what your father was thinking when he told you that…because loads of boys cry and it’s perfectly okay. I cry sometimes even…and I’m a 25 year old man. Just yesterday I was crying come to think of it. When I was afraid of losing Tyke. No one laughed at me when I did. In fact I received a huge hug from Kevin and he reassured me everything would be alright. People would do that for you too you know…if you’d let them in.”


“Why would they want to do that? Why would they want to hug bully Josh for?”


“Because bully Josh just happens to be a really nice kid when he lets himself be,” Brian answered gently. “A lot of people like you Josh.”


“Not according to Kota…” Josh sniffled. “She says everyone hates me.”


“Kota was an angry little four year old standing up to someone who’s been picking on her since forever. She was exaggerating a little bit. No one hates you Josh…they’re just scared of getting too close to you because they’re afraid you’re going to be mean to them. You push people away from you and that’s why no one seems to care. If you opened up and let people in you would get a whole different reaction. You should try it sometime.”


“I don’t mean to be mean…that’s just what I was taught…” Josh whispered softly, fresh tears falling from his eyes.


“I know that buddy…I know. And if you’d let me I would help you get past all of that.”


“You would help me even after I’ve been completely horrible to you?”


“Mm hmm.”


“Why?”


“Because believe it or not this stupid Backstreet Boy cares about you quite a bit,” Brian replied, looking down at Josh with a small smile and Josh couldn’t help but smile too - only a little bit. But even a small smile from Josh is such a big accomplishment.


“Can I still have the puppy?” he asked softly after a few moments and he looked at Brian. “You can give him to Elenore if you want to… since I was so mean and ungrateful.”


“Everybody deserves a second chance…and I didn’t buy him for Elenore, I bought him for you.” Josh looked down at the puppy who was sniffing at his shoe. He scooped him up into his arms and hugged him close gratefully. He has always wanted a puppy. He grinned a little bit as the puppy licked his cheek affectionately.