- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter
Enjoy =)
Chapter Three-Hundred-Sixty



Nick peered around the corner to the lobby when he got downstairs, Ashley still hanging over his shoulder quite comfortably. He’s held her over his shoulder like that far too much for her to be bothered by it. As he was looking around the corner, Brooke who is still in the lobby but talking to AJ caught sight of him. Nick quickly put his finger to his lips to silence her and she did as she was told smiling only a little but not enough to give Nick away. She slid her arms around AJ then and pulled him to her and she lightly hooked his chin with her finger before pulling his forehead down so it was rested against hers. Just as she knew he would, AJ smirked and wrapped his arms firmly around her waist in return and he planted a kiss on the tip of her nose.


“You know what?” She asked softly.


“Hmm?”


“I’ve really missed you these past few days,” she told him looking into his brown eyes with her lower lip stuck out in a professional pout and AJ couldn’t help but chuckle.


“Aww…but baby I’ve been here with you every single day, how could you possibly have a chance to miss me?”


“Yeah…you’ve been here with me…but you haven’t been here with me in a really long time,” she told him wriggling her eyebrows and emphasizing her words so he would understand.


O-hh…”


“Yeah…so what are you going to do about that? Hmm? Howie has Laila…its about time for my break…Jaime is busy pestering Peyton these days…” she risked a discrete glance toward Nick and Ashley and was glad to see he was using her diversion as a chance for escape. She watched him as he put Ashley so her feet were on the ground, took her hand, and with great stealth he began to quietly sneak toward the door with her. Brooke looked back into AJ’s eyes before he even had the chance to notice and she lightly traced her finger over his chest.


“I was, you know…thinking of going into my office and getting some paper work done…”


“Hmm…” AJ replied, catching on rather quickly to her hint. “Paper work huh? Would you like some help with that?”


“Nah that’s okay…” Brooke replied her eyes boring into his chocolate brown ones letting him see the sexy look in them that she knows drives him crazy and she shrugged her shoulders in a nonchalant way for everybody else to see. “You don’t have to…paper work can be rather tedious,” She told him before turning and heading for her office being sure to shake her hips seductively as she walks and just as she hoped would happen, AJ reacted with a quiet groan.


“No, no. I really think I should…I wouldn’t…you know, want my girlfriend to be stressed out or anything. I really think I should be there to make sure that doesn’t happen” He insisted before following after her, his eyes following her every move as she walked. The couple soon disappeared inside Brooke’s office the door shutting behind AJ and Nick and Ashley who had stopped just at the door looked at each other and Ashley shook her head amusedly as Nick laughed.


“What a sucker! Only Brooke could distract him like that…only Brooke.”


“Yes well lets get out of here before the spell lifts,” Ashley insisted while grabbing his hand and she looked back at Denise who had been standing there watching the whole scene with amusement. She waved to her and Denise waved back.


“Bye Momma Denise, tell Alex I love him when he comes out and realizes I am gone.”


“I will sweetheart. Have fun – would you like me to go to Brian’s and see if he wants me to take Bella off his hands?”


“Sure if you want to,” Ashley shrugged and flashed her adopted mom one last smile before allowing Nick to pull her out of the Orphanage. They hurried to his car, got in, buckled up, and quickly made their great escape.



~*~*~*~*~


“What the…” Josh trailed off when he walked into the living room where his brother and Elenore were supposed to be sitting on the floor folding laundry the way Brian had taught them. He discovered all of the laundry folded into piles around them and the laundry basket now empty. Chris is sitting on the floor indianstyle with Elenore in his lap sleeping soundly with her arms wrapped tightly around his waist and her head rested comfortably against his stomach giving him no chance to even lightly push her off.


“She fell asleep” Chris quickly explained.


“On you?” Josh asked incredulously.


“Well why not?” Chris asked feeling slightly offended by the tone of his brother’s voice.


“But she doesn’t even like you!”


“Well, she was tired and overly upset – you tend to just fall asleep anywhere when you are that way” Chris insisted.


“But she hasn’t been letting anybody near her when she sleeps lately – or touch her. Or anything…she hasn’t let me sleep in bed with her for weeks” Josh pointed out, the jealousy clearly evident in his voice. He’s missed being the one Ellie always ran to when she was hurt or upset and has been feeling extremely hurt that he just found out why and wasn’t one of the first people to know. And now here she is sleeping on Chris? It’s Josh’s job to protect Ellie, it’s Josh’s job to hold her when she sleeps and he isn’t used to sharing that job. Especially not with Chris of all people.


“Do you think I like this, Josh?” Chris asked roughly. He wouldn’t want anyone to start thinking that he is becoming soft when it comes to his cousin…no way. “She just fell asleep – I can’t move without waking her. Don’t worry I am not stealing your job.”


“Fine then…let me help you with that,” Josh insisted and he took a step toward his little brother.


“No that’s okay I’ve got her” Chris insisted quickly and Josh could hear the unwanted protective tone in his voice causing his heart to ache with jealousy. “You’ll just wake her up – and then she’ll be an annoying little brat and I really don’t want to deal with that” Chris quickly explained when he realized his slip up. Josh narrowed his eyes.


“I’ll get her to go back to sleep again if she does,” he told him before going over and sitting beside his brother. He reached over and gently grabbed hold of Ellie before carefully pulling her over to him so that she is lying between his legs with her head rested against his shoulder as she lay on her stomach against his chest.


“Joshy?” she whispered softly when she felt his touch and Josh took comfort from the feel of her warm breath against his neck. Oh how he misses feeling that at night. She isn’t the only one who is afraid to sleep alone, he needs her just as much as she needs him and he knows she’s been having a rough time without him – he knows better then to believe that she is over it all ready. Especially since she hasn’t been getting any sleep since the day she stated she didn’t want him anymore.


“Shh…Ellie I’m here. I’ve got you,” Josh told her quietly while sliding his arms around her protectively and he lightly rested his chin atop of her head after planting a soft kiss on it. “You’re safe…go back to sleep” he reassured and his heart fluttered with happiness as he felt her nestle into him the way she used to.


“I’ve missed you Joshy,” she told him quietly. Josh hugged her close to him tightly but carefully as to not hurt her anymore then she already is and he bent his head down and whispered in her ear.


“I’ve missed you too…an’ Batman will kick evil Summer’s butt for hurting his favorite cousin” he whispered back. He smiled some when he saw the small smile form across Ellie’s lips. He hasn’t been able to make her smile in a very long time. He watched as her tired eyes closed and she went right back to sleep. Josh looked at Chris who was sitting there quietly watching the scene and he rested his cheek against the top of her head before rubbing his hand over her back. Chris rolled his eyes and got up from his spot on the floor before going into the kitchen.


“Brian, the laundry is folded” Josh heard him say before the door shut behind him.



~*~*~*~*~


“Trev, you in here?” Sean called out as he walked into the living room after spending days locked up in his office without making so much as a single sound or anything.


“I could’ve asked the same thing about you,” Trevor replied, turning his head slightly to look at his lover as he remained in his spot on the couch. “I’m glad to see you’ve finally decided to grace me with your presence. I was beginning to wonder if you were still alive in there.” Sean walked up behind the couch and slid his arms around Trevor’s neck from behind and Trevor lightly pulled him over his shoulder so he was lying across his lap. He shifted so he was lying sideways with Sean next to him and he rested his head in the palm of his hand as he gazed down at him.


“You gonna tell me what you’ve been up to?” he asked, not really expecting an answer.


“Not really. I don’t want you to stress and be angry, I want to enjoy your company – please?” Trevor raised his eyebrow.


“Well, since you don’t normally say please…I guess I can let it go…if you just answer one question.” Sean stared up at him quietly while bringing his finger tips up to Trevor’s cheek lightly caressing it. Trevor closed his eyes at the simple act of affection before going on with his question.


“When?” was all he said, and he stared at Sean giving him a look that he would understand.


“Do you really think I’m going to tell you that? As soon as I do you are going to carefully plan out a way to hold me captive in this house.”


“Just tell me when Sean,” Trevor insisted seriously. “You at least owe me that much.” Sean stared up at him in silence for a long while before opening his mouth and answering the one question his lover wants to know.


~*~*~*~*~



“Howie I don’t like this. Why can’t you just tell me where we’re going?” Ryan demanded nervously as he was being carried by the one man he’s grown to love very much.


“Cause it would kill the surprise,” Howie answered with a smirk as he balanced Laila on one hip and Ryan on the other. He lifted his hand and waved it over Ryan’s face.


“You aren’t peeking are you?”


“How can I? You’ve got me blindfolded.” Howie laughed.


“Just relax buddy. You are going to love the surprise, I promise.”


“How come Laila doesn’t have to be blindfolded as well?” Ryan continued to complain.


“Because Laila is a baby and won’t understand where we’re going and she would probably throw a fit if I even tried it.” Ryan scowled.


“Well are we almost there yet.”


“Almost. Patience kiddo, patience.”


“I’ve got none.”


“So I’ve noticed,” Howie laughed as he turned a corner. As soon as he did he grinned.


“Good, you are already here.”


“Who is already where? Can I look now?” Ryan whined. Just then a soft hand reached out and touched his cheek and Ryan loosened in Howie’s arms at the instant recognition.


“Mom?” he asked softly before swallowing the sudden lump in his throat. Howie gently pulled the blindfold off then causing Ryan to find himself just outside an unknown house staring face to face with his mother whom he hasn’t seen in weeks.


“Hi sweetie…” she greeted him with a smile and her eyes full of tears.


“Mom!!” Ryan sobbed, suddenly lunging himself toward her leaving her no choice but to catch the growing nine-year-old. Lindsey laughed a little as she held him close to her. “Oh mom, I’ve missed you so much!”


“I’ve missed you too, you have no idea,” she told him while inwardly summoning up all of the strength she has in her not to cry herself. As she hugged Ryan she reached out and cupped Laila’s cheek.


“Hi baby…its your mommy…do you remember me?” Laila tightened her hold on Howie while gazing back at Lindsey shyly. Howie kissed Laila’s forehead softly.


“She will, just give her sometime okay? You have all the time in the world to reconnect now" he reassured her gently.


“What does that mean?” Ryan demanded his eyes still watery and he eyed the nurse who had been standing there quietly next to Lindsey the whole time.


“Your mom is going to be staying with me for the rest of her recovery…won’t that be great?” Howie asked with a small grin.


“Really?” Ryan questioned, the excitement growing in his voice and he looked at the nurse for the answer.


“Yes really,” she told him with a small smile. “She’s well enough to leave the hospital but not quite well enough to live on her own just yet. She’s going to need someone around to help her get back on her own two feet again…and Howie was kind enough to volunteer to be that person.”


“Is that okay with you?” Lindsey asked hopefully, causing Ryan to turn his attention back on her.


“Of course it is!” Ryan exclaimed happily, looking like he had just won the lottery and he threw his arms about his mother and hugged her tightly. “I’ve missed you so much momma! Please don’t ever leave me again, please” he pleaded while once again on the brink of tears but he fought it back with all his might. He could yell at Howie for not preparing him for this if he wasn’t so happy.


“Why don’t we bring this little reunion inside, hmm?” Howie suggested as he snuggled a very confused and shy Laila and he wondered to himself if maybe he should’ve made AJ tag a long for this. Laila may adore Howie and trust him with her whole heart but its AJ who knows how to make any situation comfortable for her no matter how traumatic it is. He is just grateful and takes comfort in the fact that his tattooed friend has agreed to move into his house as well to help Laila through this. “We need to help your mom get settled in.”


“Okay,” Ryan agreed still hanging onto his mom and not planning on letting go. Howie unlocked the door before stepping to the side so Lindsey could walk in. She did just that while planting a soft kiss on top of Ryan’s head as she carried him. The nurse reached down to grab the couple of bags that Lindsey brought with her when Howie beat her to it.


“No, no don’t be silly Mrs. Emerson…I will carry those” he told her with a polite grin before picking up the two suitcases while Laila still clung to him comfortably. Mrs. Emerson smiled back before following Lindsey into the house and Howie went in after her before closing the door behind him. He set the suitcases down in the front room for the time being before leading his guests through the house giving them the grand tour. Ryan and Laila both looked around curiously right a long with their mom and Mrs. Emerson since they themselves have never been inside Howie’s house. Ryan just accepted the assumption that he’s always lived in the Orphanage. It never crossed his mind that he had his own home – a big one at that with security gates identical to Brian’s and its completely out of the way of everything with his own private beach.


“Is this where Ryan and Laila have been living all of this time?” Lindsey wanted to know when she spotted the two doors that say Ryan and Laila in block letters. The door with Laila’s name is painted pastel pink and the letters are in light colors of pink, blue, green, and yellow. They have butterflies and flowers and ladybugs designed on them. Ryan’s door was painted blue and his letters were done in blue and red with sports designs on it – a basketball, a basketball hoop, a jersey, a golf ball, a golf club, a football, and a football helmet. Howie noticed her looking at them and he grinned.


“No, actually that is my surprise for them” he answered while looking down at Laila and Ryan who was already detaching himself from his mother and looking at the door with his name on it in curiosity.


“Go ahead buddy, go take a look” he encouraged. Ryan looked at him for a moment before going on over and twisting the doorknob and pushing the door open. As soon as it was he peered inside with Lindsey right behind him and he gasped at the sight.


“Oh wow!” he exclaimed as he went further in. The entire room was done up in blue except for the curtains on the window, his bed sheets, a big rug, and a little nightstand with a lamp on it which are all red. All of his toys were transferred to the room and placed in his very own toy box that also has his name on it. There’s a big book shelf with his entire book collection already put on it, and a couple of wall shelves up and ready for him. He also has lots of wall space if he were to decide to hang anything up on them.


“Do you like it?” Howie questioned even though the look on his face clearly stated that he loves it. “AJ put a TV in here for you to play video games on even though I told him you didn’t need one in your room. But you know as well as I do that there’s no telling that man anything.”


“I love it Howie, thank-you!” Ryan replied while turning around and throwing himself at the man who he considers to be like a father figure and he hugged him tightly. Howie grinned and returned his hug. “I haven’t had a room I could call my own in so long! It’s great!”


“I’m really glad you like it,” Howie told him sincerely. After a few moments he stood up with Laila and he turned to look at Lindsey who was standing there smiling some at the scene before her with watery eyes.


“Want to see Laila’s room?” he asked her and she nodded eagerly. “AJ and Brooke had the time of their lives designing it. It was their project. I could hardly pull them away from it once they got started on it” Howie explained as he led the way across the hall to the pink door. He opened it up and brought Laila inside and he set her down so her feet were on the ground so she herself could take a look around. As soon as Lindsey stepped foot inside the room after him she saw that like Ryan’s room, Laila’s matched her door. The walls were all done up in pastel pink. She has a pink Barbie car bed with white bed sheets, pink curtains, and on the wall on the right side of the room Brandon had painted two great big teddy bears on it. They’re wearing ballerina outfits complete with little pink ballerina slippers and they’re in a dancing pose. She too has a toy box for all of her toys that have also been transferred to the room. She has a dresser and a little table to play tea party on and of course Brooke had set her dolls and teddy bears all up around it complete with her toy tea set as if they were waiting for just that.


“My toys!!!” Laila exclaimed happily as her little eyes grew big and round and she ran over to her teddy bears an began hugging each one as if she hadn’t seen them for a long time before lapsing into tea party mode. Howie chuckled softly and turned to look at Lindsey who was eyeing the room with absolute adoration.


“What do you think? Is it okay?”


“Oh Howie I love it! Both of the kids’ rooms are absolutely wonderful. How much did it cost you and AJ to do all of this?”


“Don’t worry about it,” Howie insisted gently before pulling her into a brief hug. “It was our pleasure. We’ve wanted to get the kids out of that orphanage and into a real home for awhile now. We just used you getting out of the hospital as motivation to get started on it” he told her while gently hooking her chin with his finger and tilting it up so she is looking him in the eyes. “I had a feeling it would make you really happy…I hope I was right about that,” he told her while catching a falling tear.


“Oh you were don’t worry…these are all happy tears. Thank-you for letting me leave the hospital and move in with you I’m so happy to be out of there.”


“It was my pleasure,” Howie promised. He looked at her in silence for a couple of moments before speaking up.


“Well, why don’t I show you to your room now? The kids will be fine here,” he suggested while indicating toward both Ryan and Laila. Ryan being the good big brother that he is had instantly gone over to play tea party with his sister. “After you get settled in the three of us can go downstairs to the kitchen and get something to drink…maybe talk about the kids? And future plans?” he added while looking at Mrs. Emerson.


“Actually, I have to get back to the hospital but I have a feeling you have everything under control here” Mrs. Emerson replied while smiling at Howie gratefully. She has told him over a hundred times that he’s the best thing that’s ever happened to Lindsey after he had asked her over a hundred times if she is sure he is the right one for the job of taking care of her. “You have my number if you need me Howie, right?”


“Absolutely,” Howie insisted. “Thanks for bringing her to me...you’ll be keeping in touch right? That’s what I was told by Detective Stabler.”


“Yes I will. I will be calling you once every week for an update and she is to come in to our hospital once every Saturday to continue her therapy sessions,” Mrs. Emerson replied. “But other then that you are on your own.”


“Sounds like a plan,” Howie replied. “I’ll show you out,” he added while gently taking Lindsey’s hand and following Mrs. Emerson toward the door to Laila’s room.


“No that’s okay, I’ll show myself out so you can continue your tour” Mrs. Emerson insisted with a smile, not wanting to interrupt the interaction between Howie and Lindsey. “Talk to you later Howie,” she added and then she was gone leaving Howie alone with complete responsibility of Lindsey.