- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter.
Enjoy =)
Chapter Four-Hundred-Twenty-Six



After Ellie had spent an entire morning and part of the afternoon at Brian’s house like planned, Brian let her say a very long goodbye to Josh and then gathered her things – and Lil’ Rok before taking her home. When he walked in the house with her they heard a discussion going on upstairs.


“WE’RE HERE!” Brian called out warningly incase the discussion isn’t made for Ellie’s ears or they’re doing something that she shouldn’t see. Kevin appeared at the top of the stairs then and grinned.


“Hey Brian – hi princess!”


“Daddy!” Ellie exclaimed happily in return.


“Bring her up here Bri I want her to see something.” Brian did as requested and a few seconds later he was standing next to him at the top of the stairs. Kevin led the way down the hall toward Ellie’s room and when they got there they found that Jerald had just finished replacing her ruined door with a brand new one that they painted and everything, making it the same as before.


“What do you think Princess? It’s good as new – did we do it right?”


“Its perfect!” she gushed, and she sat there rested on Brian’s hip and marveled over the fact that they managed to get it exactly right. It looks like her door had never even been damaged in the first place. She leaned forward toward Kevin then who was grinning from ear to ear, clearly pleased that he’d made her happy and he gently took her from Brian and cuddled her close.


“Thank-you daddy, I loves you” She told him while hugging him tightly.


“I love you too baby,” Kevin replied and she reached over and grabbed a handful of Jerald’s shirt and tugged him closer. He chuckled and moved so he was standing in front of Kevin where she wanted him and she pulled him into a hug too so she could thank them both.


“I love you Uncle Jerry.”


“I love you too beautiful.”


“Did you have fun with Josh?” Kevin questioned while he and Jerald stood there making an Ellie sandwich.


“Uh huhs – an’ I clobbered Chris too! It was great daddy you shoulda seen it.” Kevin glanced at Brian warily upon hearing this news and Brian just chuckled.


“He totally deserved the beating don’t worry about it.” Kevin still continued to give him an unsure look. “He was picking on her while she was sleeping and she retaliated – she didn’t harm him real bad it was all fun and games though he would probably try to tell you otherwise. The kid is the most dramatic kid I’ve ever known sometimes.”


“He tried to tells Brian I broke his arm – cried over it for ten minutes like a baby but then five minutes after he finally gots the comfort he wanted he was throwing a ball for Chance withs it.”


“Okay I have to admit that part of the reason he did that was cause he looks for any excuse for me to hug him and carry him around the way I do with Josh though I can honestly say I am getting better at it. Mostly he is a drama king though. He’ll whine over the littlest things and it just plain amuses me.” Kevin let it go then, deciding that what he doesn’t know can’t hurt him. He kissed Ellie’s forehead softly and then handed her over to Jerald.


“Well I need to get cleaned up real quick - I’m a mess and don’t have very much time on my hands.” Brian chuckled.


“Oh that’s right. Kristin is coming over isn’t she?” He asked, saying her name in a teasing tone. Kevin stuck his tongue out at Brian playfully – something he would never be caught doing and then turned and hurried off to his room leaving two incredulous men staring after him and one amused little girl. Jerald gave Brian a look and then started carrying Ellie back down the stairs. “I’m sorry Jer but I’m afraid I’m not on your side this time around. I like her – a lot. She’s very sweet and just look at the way your brother is at the mere mention of her. He’s more playful…and fun.”


“It’s not that I don’t like her, cause I do. I think she’s great. It’s just the speed that their relationship is going in that bothers me. It makes me wary.”


“Some things just don’t need time, cuz. He’s happy. Sit back and enjoy it.”


“But—“


“—Howie really likes her too. I was on the phone with him earlier and he just went on and on about how sweet she is and how happy she makes Kevin. She’s won our blessing and it’s only a matter of time until she wins everyone else over too. Just relax okay?”


“Yeah Jerry, relax” Ellie added causing the two of them to look down at her. “Cause my Kristin is nots going anywheres.” Brian gave Jerald a pointed look and Jerald sighed. With a look of defeat on his face he set Ellie down.


“Why don’t you tidy up the living room a little beautiful? Your toys are all over the place. She’ll be here any minute.” Upon hearing this information she darted around the room like the Tasmanian Devil picking up her toys. Jerald shook his head and went into the kitchen to make sure they have everything to bake cookies with and Brian followed. Knowing his mother though, he’s pretty sure that they do. If they didn’t, she most likely ran to the store early in the morning making sure they did just for this occasion. She was very pleased to hear about Kristin coming over to bake with Ellie. And then she had mysteriously tried to invite Jerald to go with her to hang out with Jackie, Audrey, and Riley insisting she would like his company but he knew she was only trying to get him out of the house. Not happening. He didn’t even bother answering to her invite, he just gave her a look like she was crazy and that said it all – she stopped there.


By the time Jerald had everything out and sitting on the counter waiting to be used they heard a knock on the door and Ellie squeal excitedly. While Jerald was clearly trying to prepare himself to be nice and considerate, Brian turned and hurried into the living room so he could be there with Ellie when she answered the door. He got to her and stood behind her just as she placed her hand on the knob and twisted it open.


“Kristin HI!” Ellie greeted happily and Kristin laughed amusedly as she can tell that Brian had to literally sprint to the door in order to keep up with the overly excited little girl. Ellie flung herself at Kristin instantly hugging her and Kristin smirked and gathered her up into her arms and hugged her back while Brian managed to get himself together and flash her a friendly smile.


“Hi sweetie, how are you this afternoon?” She asked Ellie.


“I’m good, how are you?”


“I’m pretty good myself. Are you ready to make cookies?”


“Uh-huhs!” Ellie nodded eagerly, the pigtails that Riley had given her earlier bouncing about as she did. Kristin looked at Brian then, who stepped to the side as an invite for her to come in and she did.


“Hey Brian” She smiled.


“Hey you, it’s good to see you again” He told her sincerely and he looked to Jerald who was standing quietly beside him. “Are you thirsty? Jerald will get you anything you want,” He added, giving his cousin a light push to get with it already.


“Yeah, anything” Jerald added instantly smiling at her and Brian was surprised to see a real genuine one there for a change. “We have Dr Pepper, Root Beer, Water, Apple Juice, and of course…lots of chocolate milk.” Ellie beamed and straightened up importantly upon hearing the last beverage on Jerald’s list.


“A root beer sounds good if that’s okay,” Kristin answered after thinking about it for a moment.


“Coming right up.”


“An’ Ellie would likes some chocolate milk, please” Ellie added and Jerald chuckled.


“Well then little Miss Ellie had better come and help me make it huh?” He turned and headed into the kitchen then and Ellie slid down from Kristin’s arms and ran after him. Brian looked at Kristin then and she turned her attention on him.


“Where is Kevin?”


“Upstairs getting cleaned up. He’s been painting and such all day – I think he painted himself more then Ellie’s new door. He’ll be downstairs shortly.” A few moments later, Jerald walked back in with a can of root beer in his hand and Ellie at his heels as she held a Denny’s Cup with a fun Curly Straw and she was sipping at her chocolate milk. He handed Kristin her root beer and she took it and smiled at him some.


“Thanks Jerald,” She told him making sure he heard the sincerity in her voice.


“No problem,” Jerald replied politely. “If you want anything else, don’t be afraid to help yourself. Do you want to sit down? Go on ahead and make yourself comfortable.”


“Thank-you,” Kristin replied and she went over and sat down on the couch. Brian followed her and sat next to her while Ellie sat down on her knees on the floor leaning against the coffee table with her cup. She knows she is normally not allowed in the living room on the white carpet with chocolate milk but Jerald is being very blind to it right now. She knows if Kevin were there to see it she would not be getting away with it.


“I’ll go see what’s taking Kevin. It’s crazy how long he is taking,” Jerald said then headed for the stairs. He only got to the bottom step however, when his brother came around the corner and was coming downstairs.

“Chill out Jer, I needed a shower.”


“Why? We’re just going to be playing basketball and getting all gross again anyway.”


“Because it was just necessary.” Jerald rolled his eyes playfully and when Kevin made it all the way downstairs, Kristin – who Brian noticed had perked up at the sound of Kevin’s voice, was now watching him as he walked toward them in a white wife beater and some jeans. She sat there gazing at him all wide-eyed as she noted his bare arms. They’ve got some muscle in them – not too much, but just right and she suddenly finds herself dreaming of them being wrapped around her. She felt her mouth watering and suddenly it was very hard to remember how to breathe. Had he worn that wife beater just to get a reaction out of her? Well, it worked. Oh boy did it ever work and playing basketball with him later is certainly going to be interesting.


When she managed to regain composure, she realized that his captivating green eyes were gazing at her and he seemed to be waiting on her to say something – to answer a question he asked maybe? Oh man, what did he ask me? she asked herself inwardly, suddenly panicking.


“Kristin? You okay?” he asked after a moment, and she blinked.


“Yeah – fine. I’m sorry” she insisted quickly, her face growing warm as she blushed. Brian bit back a chuckle and Jerald just shook his head amusedly and walked off to find the basketball. “What were you saying?”


“I was saying hi,” Kevin chuckled. “That’s all.”


“Oh – well, hi” Kristin replied, blushing even more and Kevin smirked. He doesn’t know if he will ever get used to how adorable she looks when she blushes.


“What were you thinking about so deeply just a minute ago huh?” he asked curiously while going over and sitting next to her on the couch.


“Ohhh, nothing” Kristin insisted innocently. “Its not important.” Kevin arched his eyebrow.


“Obviously it was if it took me five minutes just to get a hello out of you.” Kristin didn’t respond she only sat there nervously beside him, completely aware of how close he is sitting to her.


“Aww, come on” Kevin pouted playfully. “You know I like to hear what’s on your mind.”


“I think Jerald is waiting on you to play basketball with him Kev,” Brian spoke up, deciding that he would come to Kristin’s rescue even though he is rather enjoying watching her blush too. “I know that he’s been looking forward to it since last night and Ellie is rather anxious about baking cookies too – huh Ellie?”


“Yes, Yes I am” Ellie nodded, jumping to her feet suddenly and looking from Kristin to the kitchen, and back at Kristin again anxiously. “We bake now Kristin? Please?” Kristin laughed.


“Of course sweetie, we’ll bake now.” She looked to Kevin again. Reading the question in her eyes he spoke up.


“I’ll get you all of he stuff you’ll need.”


“No need to do that, Jer already did” Brian replied. “It’s all sitting out on the counter waiting.”


“Oh…well then go ahead and help yourself,” Kevin replied while smiling at her warmly. “Anything that’s not sitting there that you need, I’m sure Ellie will help you find it. Make yourself at home.”


“Kay,” Kristin replied, and Ellie beamed happily and ran into the kitchen ahead of her, leaving her now empty cup behind carelessly and Kristin got up and went to join her. Kevin watched her disappear in the kitchen for a moment, and then he and Brian got up and headed out front where Jerald is probably already waiting.


“It’s going to kill me not knowing what she was thinking…” Kevin muttered to no one in particular as they got out there and Brian rolled his eyes playfully.


“Come on Kev, does Ri have to spell everything out for you?” He gently grabbed his cousin by the arms and looked into his eyes.


“Sheeeee liiiiikes yooooou….” He told him nice and slowly, dragging each word out.


“That still doesn’t explain what she was thinking,” Kevin shrugged and Jerald was the one to roll his eyes this time.


“Ah Kev, it amazes me just how oblivious you are to this woman.” Kevin blinked in confusion and Brian continued as he sat back and watched Jerald toss Kevin the basketball.


“She had her eyes on you since the very moment you came down those stairs in that wife beater. Did you plan that move?” He asked amusedly.


“No, I just threw it on because I thought it would be a lot more comfortable to play ball in rather then a t-shirt. She really had her eyes on me?”


“She looked as though she might pass out if she didn’t get to breathing fast enough,” Jerald informed, and he watched Kevin curiously for his reaction only to see that same dreamy look in them that he often gets when Kristin does something that makes him feel good. And he even looks surprised, and a little like he doesn’t quite believe it.


“Well…what are we waiting for Jer? Lets play” Kevin insisted after a long moment when he regained his composure and he dribbled the ball around him and tossed it into the hoop.


“Call me and tell me how his game with Kristin turns out later Jer. I have to get home to Riley she wants me there,” Brian said while heading to his car now.


“Will do,” Jerald promised, though most of his mind was now concentrating on the game and his brother then anything else. The other part of his mind that wasn’t however, was taking note that Kristin was watching the game from the window inside the kitchen as she still paid plenty of attention to Ellie as well and she was even laughing at her little jokes. Mostly she was watching Kevin rather then him or the game though and she wore a look that he often sees Ashley get when she’s watching Nick from afar. Like he is the only man in this world she has eyes for. He has to admit he likes that. Summer never looked at him that way…except for maybe when he was holding his checkbook or wallet – and even then, all she had eyes for was what was in his hands. But Jerald knows that there is no way he can say she isn’t interested in Kevin for Kevin. Not after the way she’d looked at him when he came down the stairs.



~*~*~*~*~



Meanwhile in Oklahoma, Doctor Johnson stood at the back window silently watching his beloved angel run around the backyard entertaining herself rather easily. She wore a yellow flowery dress and was barefoot while she played with her dolls and such. Annabelle had been coaxed out of the house by Peyton and they were off doing women things while he and Brandon were still there keeping an eye on Julie and making phone calls and plans and such. In just a few hours from now he will be taking Annabelle out to dinner in the nicest restaurant that there is in this semi-small town.


He and Brandon also decided that he will bring her back to the house afterward and he will take her out into their now very special cornfield and lay in it and gaze up at the stars for awhile and then he will pop the question there. He smiled to himself as he watched Julie play and thought about how after tonight, she might very well be his little girl and the woman he loves will be his fiancée…god he hopes she says yes. Please say yes. He placed his hand to the door about to go outside, when he heard his brother yelling upstairs and then a stream of profanities followed. He let go of the door quick and ran up there to see what’s going on, Julie remaining outside undisturbed, completely lost in her make believing. When he got upstairs and found his brother in his art room pacing and looking as though he might pull his hair out any minute he looked at him worriedly.


“What? What is it?” he asked, and then noticed his safe open and he froze, as it all clicked in very quickly.


“No.”


“Steve...I…I’m so sorry…”


“You didn’t….”


“I didn’t mean to…”


“You swore to me you would keep it safe!”


“And I thought it was! Steve it was in this safe the whole time! No one knew where the key was except for me!”


“Obviously you misplaced it somewhere.”


“I didn’t! I specifically put it in my safe knowing that it would be safest there.”


“Well obviously it wasn’t Brandon, huh?” Doctor Johnson snapped impatiently. “How could you be so careless? I left you with the most important job there was and you lost it!”


“I swear to you I didn’t do anything with that ring, Steven, I swear!” Brandon insisted, the tears forming in his eyes.


“Did you really not want me to get married that badly?” Doctor Johnson asked, ignoring his brother’s words. “Did you really believe it was too soon that you had to put matters into your own hands? Were you really that jealous of me that you had to go and betray me like this?” He demanded, as tears clouded his own eyes. Brandon crossed the room to his brother then, closing the little space that was between them and he placed his hands on his shoulders forcing him to look at him.


“Goddamnit Steven, LISTEN TO ME!” He shouted, the desperate need for his brother to hear him very evident in his eyes. “I didn’t lose that ring on purpose I swear to god and everyone I know that I didn’t! I swear on Kayline, Mom, and Dad’s grave that I didn’t if that helps convince you!”


“Then how do you explain its disappearance? Huh Bran? I would really like to know how an expensive ring like that just disappears on its own!”


“I don’t know!” Brandon sobbed. “Okay Steve? I really don’t!” Doctor Johnson stared at him for a long moment and when he finally saw the honesty there, he let up.


“Do you think Julie could’ve…”


“You know perfectly well that I keep my door locked when I’m not in here. The only other person who was in here between now and last night after you all left was Peyton.” Doctor Johnson gave him a look.


“No! Don’t you dare blame her for it Steven Johnson I won’t let you!”


“Who else could’ve done it?”


“I was with her the whole time! She was never alone, and she would never do anything like that! You know as well as I do that she wouldn’t! She is excited about this engagement just as much as you are and she is very happy for you. She loves you, she wouldn’t do anything to ruin your moment.” Doctor Johnson stared at him for a long moment.


“The one important thing I leave you incharge with Brandon. The ONE important thing and you go off and lose it!”


“I’m sorry,” Brandon insisted tearfully. “You have to know that I am sorry and I didn’t do this on purpose.”


“Sorry isn’t going to change the fact that its gone though, is it? What am I supposed to do now? How am I supposed to propose now? I don’t have the money to get her another one, not one that was as nice as that!”


“Its gotta be around here somewhere…we’ll split up and look for it.”


“And if we don’t find it?”


“…I’ll find a way to make it up to you. You will propose to Anna tonight Steve I swear. Even if I have to make it happen myself, you are going to be engaged tonight,” he insisted and then began searching all over his art room for it. Doctor Johnson ran his fingers through his hair stressfully, and then went off and began looking for it himself.