- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter! Enjoy =)
Chapter Four-Hundred-Ninety


“You should’ve picked pretty yellow for your brides maid dresses, Riley” Dakota informed the next day as she stood in the middle of the many rows of dresses gazing at the belle-like gowns that she happened upon and Ashley was standing a couple of feet away making sure she doesn’t lose her. Riley smiled as she was in the middle of trying on wedding gowns with the help of Brooke, Jackie, Audrey, and the store owner.


“You think so, huh?”


“Uh-huh’s I think a Beauty an’ the Beasts wedding would be beautiful,” Dakota swooned and Riley, Brooke and Ashley all laughed.


“Sweetheart I think you would think anything Beauty and the Beast would be beautiful,” Ashley pointed out and Dakota beamed.


“Well it woulds,” She insisted and she looked at Riley for confirmation. “Right Riley?”


“You are right about that honey, but I think someone else has already taken that theme” Riley answered in a very knowing tone that Dakota did not miss. Dakota gaped at her in surprise and Ashley smirked suddenly, deciding that the look on her face when she finds out that it’s her will be beyond priceless.


“Somebody else is getting married?” she asked, and then eyed all of the women around her that she knows. Brooke, Kori, Peyton, Jennifer and Susan – Riley’s sister who was currently in the dressing room helping Chloe try on the same flower girl dress that Dakota had just finished trying on minutes before. The only person she didn’t look at was Ashley, as she was sure she would know it by now if her daddy had proposed. Though come to think of it, he certainly is up to something…


“No, not yet” Riley replied amusedly. “But I’m pretty sure someone has the Beauty and the Beast theme put on hold until they finally can.” Ashley smiled some and not being able to keep her in suspense much longer, she went over and sat on the floor in front of her, gently took her hands into hers and looked into her eyes. Dakota looked back at her in silence for half a minute until she finally caught on and she gasped.


“Ashee?!?!?” Everybody laughed at how big her eyes got and Ashley nodded.


“I was thinking about it, what do you think? Would you like for me to have a Beauty and the Beast wedding whenever your daddy finally asks me?” Dakota nodded eagerly.


Duh!” she said and slid her arms around Ashley for a hug and Brooke smiled some.


“That’s going to be really adorable too because it’s Kota’s favorite fairytale and everybody knows that she looks at you and Nick like you’ve stepped out of one of her storybooks or something.” Dakota beamed and kissed Ashley’s cheek before pulling away and continuing to look at all of the dresses and Ashley continued to sit there where she was, keeping a close watch on her but also watching Riley. She is currently wearing a strapless gown featuring a hand-gathered scoop neck empire waist bodice. The hand ruched bodice leads into narrow A-line skirt that has been accented by a draped overlay. A chapel length train completes the look.


“That’s a really beautiful gown Riley, it looks perfect on you” Ashley commented.


“I was just thinking the same thing,” Audrey agreed. “What do you think Hon?” Riley turned and gazed into the mirror thoughtfully and after a moment she nodded.


“It’s definitely my favorite out of all of the others.”


“Go for it Ri it’s definitely the best” Brooke insisted. When Riley agreed she spoke up again.


“Well we’ve got the gown taken care of, what about the flower girls?” She questioned and she glanced over at Susan who came out of the dressing room with little Chloe in a velveteen red dress with a black ribbon that is tied around the waist and makes a bow in the back. Dakota had tried on her matching dress about ten minutes before Chloe and her mom arrived.


“Awww,” everybody gushed, just as much as they had for Dakota.


“It fits,” Susan announced.


“I love it. They both look so perfect on them. They could have their hair curled and wear little flower headbands to complete the look” Riley insisted.


“That would be cute but are you sure you want them wearing the black sash though? I was thinking that maybe white would go better with the red.” Susan suggested.


“Well I was kind of going for them matching the bridesmaids.”


“Oh I see,” Susan nodded, comprehending her sister’s plan.


“So it’s settled then, those dresses?” Brooke wanted to know, and Riley nodded. Brooke looked over at Peyton then, who she’d sent on a mission a little while ago. “What about the bridesmaid’s dresses?” Suddenly Peyton came around the corner holding two different colored dresses – one velveteen red dress and one matching black one.


“I was thinking four of us could wear red and the other two black.” Brooke looked at Riley then for confirmation and Riley shrugged.


“That sounds cute let’s see them on all of you first though.”


“Can I wear red Riley? I like the red best” Ashley requested.


“You all can wear whatever color you want,” Riley promised. “Just so long as its velveteen red or black.”


“Lead us the way to the dresses you found Pey,” Brooke said and while the girls minus Ashley and Riley followed Peyton back there, Riley walked into the dressing room she came out of to change out of the beautiful gown she would be buying and Ashley stayed put keeping an eye on a wandering Dakota.


“For a little girl who doesn’t like to wear dresses, you seem to be pretty fascinated by them” Ashley pointed out and Dakota flashed her a smile before going on. She came across a long yellow dress very similar to Belle’s and gently took hold of it and held it up while it was still on the rack for Ashley to see and she gave her a look that suggests she should choose that one.


“Find me a nice white one that looks somewhat like Belle’s and we’ll be good to go,” Ashley suggested amusedly. “The Brides wear white to their wedding.” Dakota set off on her mission then suddenly excited to have one, and a familiar voice spoke from behind Ashley.


“In the meantime, you are a bridesmaid and the bridesmaids will be wearing red or black to Riley’s wedding.” Ashley looked up at her sister to find her standing there with a red and black dress in her hands. “I’ve found your size why don’t you go try it on?”


“I can’t leave Kota.”


“She’ll be fine Jackie is here and will keep an eye on her.” Ashley bit her lip nervously, the whole idea of leaving her kids out of her sight for even a moment still being a terrifying thought to her.


“Since she’s not technically your kid, you’ll be fine” Kori insisted after having read the maternal look on her sister’s face.


“Like hell she is,” Ashley replied while narrowing her eyes at her and she got to her feet, snatched the red dress from her, and stormed off toward the dressing room to change. Kori rolled her eyes and looked at Brooke who was still tending to Riley though she held her own dress on her arm for when she managed to get a moment and Brooke gave her a stern look.


“Be nice. You and AJ need a swift kick in the butt I swear…”


“You can kick us in the butt all you want but we are not going to change our mind.”


“We’ll see about that. You don’t know the influence I have on him especially when I throw it at him at full force.”


“Let me rephrase that. You can kick me in the butt all you want but I’m not going to change my mind. You don’t have any influence on me woman.”


“Maybe not, but I am providing you with a home at the moment aren’t I?” Brooke challenged. She would never really kick Kori out since she loves her too much, but she can threaten her all the same.


“Just for now,” Kori shrugged. “I can take care of myself just fine. I love you and the Orphanage and everything, but I don’t plan on living there forever you know.”


“I’ll sick Scott on you.”


“Me too,” Ashley agreed while coming out in her red dress. “That’s always fun. Why are we sicking Scott on her?”


“Nevermind,” Kori replied while going into the dressing room Ashley just came out of and she shut the door and locked it so she could get changed too. Ashley arched her eyebrow at Brooke.


“Because she is stubborn and pig-headed,” she answered casually.


“Well, I could’ve told you that” Ashley replied exasperatedly. Brooke laughed and as they stood there waiting on the rest of the girls to come out, Ashley glanced over at Dakota and smiled some as she watched her twirl around the store completely oblivious to everything going on around her and holding up white dresses to herself in a nearby mirror. As soon as the rest of the girls came out in their dresses – Kori in black, Peyton in black, and Susan in red Audrey, Jackie, Brooke, and Riley all looked at them.


“You all look very lovely,” Riley insisted. “I think Peyton did a good job choosing but then I’ve always admired her for her fashion sense so I’m not surprised…Brookie why didn’t you try on your dress?”


“They’re all the same Riles, I’m sure you can get a pretty good idea of how I’ll look just by looking at them. And besides, I’m the maid of honor, my main focus is supposed to be you,” Brooke insisted as she continued to help Riley, Jackie, Audrey, and the store owner decide on whether she should wear a wedding veil or a tiara.

“Yeah but how will you know it will fit you unless you try it on? And I want to see it on you anyway” Riley pressed. “Try it on Brookie, the bride insists upon it.” Brooke rolled her eyes playfully and handed Jackie the tiara before going into a dressing room while everybody else took turns changing out of theirs in the ones that were available. As soon as Ashley finished she came out wearing her tank top and shorts and she glanced at Dakota who was still content in playing in her own little world before looking back over at Riley, Jackie, and Audrey and when she saw that they were busy having their own conversation about veils and tiaras and didn’t look like they needed her help anytime soon, Ashley walked over to Dakota and smiled some as she stood behind her in front of a mirror.


“Still looking for me, or are you just being silly now?” She asked with a small grin on her face as she watched Dakota hold up a dress her own size to herself and she had on a veil and even went as far as taking off her shoes so she could put on high heels.


“Do you thinks Joshy would likes this dress, Ashee?” She asked absent-mindedly as she modeled for herself in the mirror and Ashley giggled.


“I think Josh would like anything you chose to wear, honey.”


“But for when we gets married,” Dakota explained.


“You have a long way to go before the two of you get to start discussing wedding plans, girlie” Ashley told her amusedly. “And by then I think you are going to need a bigger dress. You aren’t going to stay fun-sized forever you know.”


“Don’t tells daddy that, you’ll makes him emotional,” Dakota warned in a matter of fact tone and Ashley laughed. She went over and sat on the floor next to her then and gently took her hands.


“Come here,” She told her before turning her around to face her and she took the dress from her before helping her put it on over her clothes. As soon as she had it on her she fixed her veil and pulled out her lip gloss and Dakota’s eyes lit up at the sight of it.

“Pucker your lips,” Ashley told her and when she did just that, she began applying lip-gloss and when she finished she pulled out her cell phone, flipped it open, and went to the camera part of it before taking a photo and preparing to send it to Brian.

“What are you doing?” Dakota wanted to know while ducking under Ashley’s arms and sitting in her lap so she could see her phone and she saw that she was putting words that she could not read underneath her picture.


“Sending your picture to Brian.”


“An’ what’s it say?”


“Your Future Daughter In law.” Dakota giggled appreciatively and once the picture was sent Ashley gently lifted her up out of her lap.


“Come on kiddo let’s get you out of this dress before I end up having to buy it for you.”


“Would that’s be so bad?” Dakota wanted to know as Ashley carefully pulled the dress off of her.


“It would since your daddy only gave me enough money for your flower girl dress this time around,” Ashley pointed out. “And besides, I was under the impression you didn’t like wearing dresses missy.”


“I don’ts,” Dakota insisted innocently.


“Uh huh su-ure. I think you are a closet dress-wearer.” Just then Ashley’s phone rang the tune Sugar We’re Going Down and she flipped it open, opened up Brian’s message and laughed at the sight of it, earning the attention of her friends a few feet away.


“What’s so funny?” Brooke asked curiously and Ashley smirked and after taking Dakota’s high heels and veil off she got up with her rested on her hip and she brought her phone over to Brooke so that she could see. She didn’t bother to explain that she’d sent the picture of Dakota to him, since she knows they were all listening to her and Dakota talk anyway. Everybody looked over Brooke’s shoulder to look too and saw a picture of Josh wearing a tuxedo and tie and the text message under the picture says Your Future Son in Law.


“Awww…” Jackie, Riley, and Brooke all gushed at once and Kori just pursed her lips not being amused in the least bit. Your Future Son in Law implies a lot.


“That’s adorable,” Jackie insisted, going into complete Grandma Mode at the sight of her Grandson all dressed up and Ashley smiled some as she closed her phone back up and hugged Dakota close to her. Dakota snuggled against her in return milking Ashley’s hugs and kisses up for all it’s worth and while everybody went back to what they were doing, Brooke kept one eye on the future mother and daughter to be. She is all for it happening whether AJ and Kori disapprove or not. She is just too good of a mother to not be Dakota and Sarah’s. And if they can’t see true love when they look at her and Nick…then honestly, what is it that they do see?


When the girls had finished dress shopping and such they hurried back to the Orphanage to get Ashley there a little before her tutor was due to arrive and while she and Dakota went upstairs, Brooke went to her office where she found AJ sitting on the couch waiting patiently for her. She arched her eyebrow at him as she leaned against the door way and he grinned at her.


“A little Birdie told me you were on your way here,” he informed.


“Well, I’m glad it did because you and I need to have a little talk” Brooke replied while walking all the way into the room and shutting the door behind her.


“…That doesn’t sound good. A person doesn’t tell their lover that they need to talk unless their relationship is in a dire situation.”


“It will be if you keep this behavior up.”


“What behavior? What could I have possibly done when you’ve been gone all morning and I’ve been here?”


“Do you love your sister AJ?”


“Of course I do – both of them. What kind of question is that?”


“Then why don’t you want to see her happy?” AJ scowled then, suddenly understanding where this is going.


“I do want to see her happy. After she’s graduated from college.”


“So until then you wouldn’t mind if she were miserable?”


“She doesn’t seem miserable to me. Sean’s been caught and dealt with, she lives with a really great boyfriend whom she’s playing house with and she has a great circle of family and friends who love and support her. What could possibly be wrong in her life?”


“Nick hasn’t proposed yet, that’s what could be wrong.”


“She’ll be perfectly fine if she has to wait until graduation.”


“That’s not what I saw this morning. If you paid even a small amount of attention to her you would see that she is not content in waiting.”


“Are you implying that I don’t pay attention to my baby sister?” AJ asked, the irritation creeping into his voice. “You know perfectly well that she is all I think about.” He paused a moment and re-assessed what he just said. “Apart from you and Laila.”


“You pay attention to her when she is content and happy with Nick and you are too busy complaining about it to really see the whole picture. You don’t consider her feelings and what she desperately wants and how miserable it’s eventually going to make her waiting for it. All you care about is your wasted concern for her.”


“Wasted concern?” AJ asked incredulously. “I just don’t want her to grow up too fast, Brooke! Ever since Sean entered her life and turned it into a complete disaster she hasn’t had time for school and making her dreams come true and now that she finally has that here comes Nick wanting to make her be his wife and add two more responsibilities to her life – like Bella isn’t going to be enough already! She’s eighteen years old she is not ready to be married!”


“No, you aren’t ready for her to be married. From what I could see this morning when watching her stare at the wedding dresses with a wistful look in her eyes when she thought nobody was looking, take care of Dakota in that very motherly way that she has, and listening to her talk about her wedding tells me that she is more ready then you are willing to admit!” AJ crossed his arms over his chest and looked away from her stubbornly and Brooke walked over to him and moved so she could look him in the eyes.


“And as for her making her dreams come true, don’t you understand that Nick and the girls are part of that? Can’t you see that?”


“Nick and the girls can wait,” AJ insisted.


“And what if they can’t?”


“Nick has already proven that he could wait forever for her if he really wants to. If he loves her he’ll wait.”


“I didn’t mean it like that,” Brooke insisted. “I meant what if Ashley can’t wait for them? Are you willing to be the one who causes her pain?”


“She’s eighteen years old and he is her first boyfriend, she doesn’t know what she wants.”


“If that’s what you believe then I have nothing more to say to you today.”


“Come on Brooke, don’t be like that” AJ pleaded. “I waited all morning for you.”


“I don’t care I’m not in the mood and Riley and I still have some wedding things to take care of. She’s asked me to help her figure out the music for her wedding and on top of all of that I have an orphanage to run. So come find me when you are done being an over protective jackass,” Brooke insisted while turning around, grabbing a bunch of CDs off of her desk and walking toward the door.


“Brookie…” AJ pleaded and she paused briefly at the door and turned back to look at him.


“How would you like it if Jaime acted the way you are acting? You are being completely unreasonable and unfair. Ashley knows exactly what she wants and has known from the very beginning and you are standing in the way of two people who could spend the rest of their lives making each other happy.” she told him, and then walked out of the office leaving him there alone.
Chapter End Notes:
For those who were reading this story during the time that it was accidentally deleted, chapters 533-540 have been posted on this website: http://forever-rebel.webs.com/index.htm I will be adding more soon.

Also, if you have a twitter account and want to follow me, this is my screen name: @author_of_nmw I post update announcements on there right as they happen, as well as other random things.