- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chapter.
Enjoy =)
Chapter Eighty-Eight



Meanwhile, in the bedroom connected to Brooke's office, Brooke was lying in bed and AJ was sitting next to her hugging his legs to his chest. They were both engrossed in a conversation, when suddenly Riley walked in holding one tray of food that consists of what Brooke had requested for breakfast, and Brian was holding AJ's tray.


"Hey Brookie, how did you sleep?" Brian asked, as he set his tray in front of AJ and Riley set hers in front of Brooke's.


"Good actually…it felt nice to sleep, though I'm still a little drowsy…"


"Well when your finished eating you're more then welcome to go back to sleep. You're on strict bed rest for the entire day." Riley replied, as she sat next to Brooke and wrapped her arm around her shoulders. Brooke groaned.


"If you think I am lying in this bed all day you're insane."


"I don't think. I know"


"Ooh well then I guess I stand corrected. You're beyond insane. There is absolutely no way I am staying in this bed all day."


"You will stay in this bed all day and you will enjoy it too. Why can't you let me take care of you? Why do you always have to be so stubborn?"


" Because I am fine, Ri! I feel perfectly fine."


"You were up all night though and all you ever do is worry about this Orphanage and these kids. As much as we love you for being the most unselfish person ever, sometimes it's okay to worry about yourself once in awhile!"


"Says the woman who drowned herself in her work when she was in the middle of fighting with her ex-husband," Brooke replied. Riley opened her mouth to argue, but then shut it again. She has her there.


"Yeah…well the point is you deserve a day off and I'm giving it to you whether you like it or not." She finally said.


"Do you two see the way she talks to her boss?" Brooke asked, turning to Brian and AJ who were just sitting there listening to them in amusement.


"I'm not talking to my boss right now, I'm talking to my best friend." Brooke rolled her eyes. "Just accept the day off, will you? Please? Doesn't it feel nice to be able to stay off of your feet and not worry about a thing for a day?" Brooke sighed.


"I will do it…but only because it's important to you." She said, scowling a little. Riley grinned and hugged her close.


"I'll have Bri run to Blockbuster later and get you some movies to watch! How's that?"


"Kay," Brooke replied, and she finally began to eat her breakfast.


"I'll have him come in here and get a list of movies from you later." Riley added. "But for now, him and I are going to go have breakfast with Nick, Howie, Kevin, and the kids." Brooke nodded. Riley got up then and reached for Brian's hand. He took hold of it and allowed her to pull him up from the bed and the two of them left the bedroom, and then the office, and they headed back to the Cafeteria and joined their friends for breakfast.


"How is Brooke?" Howie asked curiously.


"The most stubborn woman in the world, as usual." Riley answered.


"Actually, the two of you are about the same," Brian put in and Riley looked at him with a raised eyebrow.


"I am not stubborn!" Brian laughed.


"You're too baby and that is why I love you," Brian replied sweetly and Riley glared at him. He smirked and leaned over and kissed her cheek before starting to eat his breakfast. She continued to glare at him for a couple of minutes, and then she started to eat too. They all sat there talking as they ate their breakfast, then when they finished thirty minutes later, Brian, Howie, and Kevin took the kids into the playroom and Nick took Ashley's hand and brought her upstairs to their room.


"What are we doing up here Nicky?" She asked curiously, as she lay down across their bed sideways. He smiled at her lovingly for a couple of minutes, then he went over to the walk in closet and pulled out his big suitcase that he had put in there the last time he came back from a big tour, and two backpacks. Ashley's red one and Dakota's Strawberry Shortcake backpack.


"I want to get our packing done and over with," Nick answered, as he set it all on the bed.


"You have fun with that," Ashley replied, as she leaned over the bed upside down and she looked up at him smiling sweetly. He laughed and shook his head. Ashley noticed Abbie and Lily in the room for the first time. Lily is lying over in her doggy bed and Abbie is lying next to the bed. Ashley reached out and lifted Abbie up and onto her chest and began to pet her. Abbie sniffed her a little bit, before settling herself comfortably on her chest. Ashley continued to lie there and pet her.


"I brought you up here to help me you know," Nick protested playfully.


"But if I helped you, who would play withs Abbie, hmm?" Ashley asked, talking to Abbie more then him and in baby talk too. She reached out and grabbed one of Abbie's squeaky toys, then she sat up with her in her lap and began to play with her, teasing her with the toy and getting her all hyped up. Nick chuckled a bit as he listened to Abbie's playful growls.


"She sounds like a little bear when she growls," He observed, and he went over to Lily who was now sitting up in her bed and watching Ashley and Abbie with interest. He bent down and pet her.


"Hey Lillian…I bet your hungry huh?" he told her, as he noticed that her food bowl needs refilling. Lily perked up at the mention of that and dashed over to her bowl and she looked up at him expectantly. He laughed once again, then he picked up the bowl and brought it over to the walk in closet with him and Lily followed at his heals. When they got into the closet, he opened up the dog food bag, stuck the bowl in it and scooped some food into it, then he brought it back out of the closet, and took it back to where it goes, Lily running ahead of him and beating him there. He set the bowl down in front of her and then began to start packing.


"I should have Kota do that every day," he commented, as he got out clothes and stuck them on the bed. "She is her puppy, after all."


"She usually does feed her, and she usually has her with her at all times too. I'm surprised she doesn't now." Ashley replied, as she turned her attention on the clothes that Nick had put next to her. She let Abbie have the toy, and Abbie chewed at it relentlessly as she settled down in her lap. Ashley grabbed some clothes and began folding them.


"She was anxious to go and wake her best friend up this morning, she hasn't thought about her. I'm sure when she realizes Ellie and Josh have their puppies, she'll remember hers. She doesn't go too long without thinking of Lily, I swear she loves that puppy to death."


"Because Brian gave her to her. Her favorite uncle," Ashley replied, smiling a little.



~*~*~*~


Meanwhile, downstairs, Dakota, Ellie, and Josh were playing nicely together in the dramatic play area. They had talked Josh into playing house with them — how they did it is a mystery to everybody else, but they some how managed it.


"Kota and Joshy can be husband an' wife an' Spencer…" Elenore began, and she looked around the playroom and spotted him playing with Chris on the other side of the room. "Can be my husband." Josh laughed.


"But he isn't even over here playing with us."


"That's okay," Elenore replied. She looked back over at Spencer and realized that he and Chris are playing Ninja Turtles. He's wearing his Michelangelo mask, and Chris is borrowing the Donatello one. "He's my handsome Mikey…an' he's out on patrol withs Donatello." Josh laughed and rolled his eyes.


"Raph isn't supposed to think Mikey is handsome," he pointed out.


"Buts I'm not Raph right now am I?" Elenore replied, smiling at him. Josh shook his head.


"Your crazy."


"Hey, I'm entitled to have a crush just as well as you!" Elenore blurted out, not even thinking. Josh gave her a terrified look, and looked over at Dakota who had stopped what she was doing and looked over at them curiously.


"Joshy you haves a crush?" She asked.


"Uh…no…of course not!"


"But Ellie just said…"


"What I meant was, I'm allowed to have crushes, just as he would be allowed also — if he had one." Elenore corrected herself.


"But I don't! Ew…gross!" Josh replied, sticking his tongue out in disgust. "Girls have coo-" Elenore suddenly elbowed him hard in the side. "OW! What was that for?" he nearly shouted, and he looked at her suddenly glaring, as he rubbed his side. Elenore gave him a dark look, warning him to shut up this instant. She could just see the look of disappointment in Dakota's eyes. If he continued what he was going to say, she just knew her best friend would be hurt and think that Josh could never like her because he 'thinks she has cooties'. "Well?" Josh asked impatiently, wanting an answer.


"Nevermind," Elenore replied firmly. "Let's just play."


"NOT until you answer me."


"Just forget it, Josh!"


"No. Answer me." Josh demanded, slowly losing his temper, and he stepped closer to her like he used to do when he was a bully.


"Joshy calm down…" Elenore replied, losing her anger somewhat, as she doesn't like the way he is acting all of the sudden.


"I want to know why you hit me."


"Well too bad because I'm nots telling you!"


"You WILL tell me." Josh demanded, and he gave her a dangerous look.


"Joshy really…calm down." Dakota begged this time, as she too was scared.


"TELL ME!" Josh shouted at Elenore, ignoring Dakota completely.


"NO!" Elenore shouted back at him. Josh raised his hand to smack her, and Elenore moved back, causing him to miss her.


"Joshua Littrell what do you think you're doing?" Brian's firm voice was suddenly heard, as he had heard the two of them shouting and looked over at them just on time. Josh looked at Brian, and seeing the disappointed look on his face caused him to come back from his temper and realize what he almost did. He looked at Elenore to see tears rolling down her cheeks and his heart broke, as he knows he caused them. He looked over at Dakota who was standing frozen in her spot looking terrified. He looked back at Brian then, as he couldn't stand to see Dakota so scared.


"Nothing," he replied softly, and he turned and ran from the playroom. Brian sighed and then went after him and Kevin went over to Elenore and Dakota to see just exactly what had happened, and to calm them both down. When Brian finally caught up to Josh, he found him upstairs in his old bedroom. He was sitting in the corner hugging his legs to his chest and tears were rolling down his cheeks as he sat there terrified. Terrified at how he had just lost control, angry with himself for almost hurting Elenore, and even more angry with himself for scaring Dakota. Why was he always doing that? He had worked so hard at being good, and now he's ruined it. Now he's back to being the mean bully that everyone hates, and Kota and Ellie will probably never speak to him again. Brian went over and quietly scooped Josh up into his arms and he brought him over to what used to be his bed and set him down, before sitting next to him.


"Why don't you tell me what happened?" He asked calmly.


"Because you'll be mad at me and I don't want to get in trouble." Josh admitted tearfully.


"Not necessarily. You will find that I can be pretty understanding. So why don't you try me?" Josh looked down at the floor ashamed, as even more tears fell from his eyes.


"If you don't tell me, then you will most definitely be in trouble Josh, so you might as well get it over with."


"I lost control…I didn't mean to…" Josh replied, his voice cracking as he tried not to cry. "Ellie almost revealed my secret crush to Kota so when Kota asked if I had a crush on someone I said no way and ew gross…and I was about to say that girls have cooties to really cover up for it, when Ellie elbowed me in the side…and I guess I sort of snapped…and almost hit her…" Brian sat there in silence for a couple of minutes, as he observed Josh. He knows he really is sorry for what he had almost done. He can see how ashamed and scared that he looks.


"You really need to learn to control your temper, buddy…"


"I know," Josh replied softly, as he continued to stare at the floor. He can't bare to look at Brian. "But it's hard…when I get angry there's no stopping me…and I just get this very angry feeling inside of me…like I want to hit something."


"I know that feeling…but hitting people is not okay."


"I know…I don't want to hit people, I really don't…but I don't know how to stop myself."


"We'll work on it together, How's that?" Brian offered, and Josh finally looked up at him suddenly confused.


"You mean you don't hate me? And your not gonna give me back to the orphanage for almost hitting Ellie?"


"Why would I do that?"


"I don't know…"


"I care about you too much to give up on you. Your stuck with me forever buddy," Brian replied, ruffling his hand through Josh's hair, and Josh couldn't help but smile up at him — only a little smile though. "And I promise you that I will help you work on your anger. It's wrong to hit people…but if you must hit something I'm sure I can find something for you."


"Like what?" Josh asked curiously.


"Maybe I will get you your very own punching bag to put in your room. Or you can always hit a stuffed animal I suppose…"


"Kay…" Josh replied softly.


"But for now…I want you to go down to the playroom and apologize to Ellie and Kota, and give them each a hug. If this happens again, you will for sure be punished. This is your warning."


"Kay…" Josh replied once more, and Brian pulled him into a hug. Josh wrapped his arms around him and returned his hug. After a few minutes Brian stood up and put him down and he led him out of the room and down to the playroom. When they got down there, they found Kevin sitting on the floor in the dramatic play area with two very upset girls in his lap. Brian brought Josh over to them.


"Kota, Ellie…Josh has something to say to you," He announced. Dakota and Elenore looked at Josh, both girls with watery eyes as Kevin had just calmed them down two seconds before Josh and Brian had entered the room.


"I'm sorry…" Josh told them sincerely. "Can you please forgive me?" Dakota and Elenore didn't say a word; they only continued to stare at him. Josh held his arms out for a hug, hoping they would accept it. Dakota thought for a couple of minutes, then she got up and walked into his open arms, allowing him to hug her. Josh wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tight, and he smiled a little bit as he did. Elenore, however, snuggled into Kevin, as she is not ready to forgive him just yet. After a few moments when Dakota pulled away, Josh looked at her hopefully.


"Ellie?" He asked softly. Elenore didn't reply, she only looked away from him. Josh sighed and looked as if he could cry. He knew Elenore would never speak to him again. He knew it…so why does it hurt so much?


"Just give her time to calm down, Josh. She'll come around." Kevin reassured, as he rubbed his hand over Elenore's back.


"Kay," Josh replied softly. Kevin got up with Elenore and took her back to his chair with him, where Howie is still sitting and he joined him. Brian looked down at Josh.


"Why don't you and Kota play? I'm sure Ellie will come back over here when she's ready."


"No she won't." Josh insisted. "She hates me."


"She does not," Brian reassured. "She's just hurt, that's all. You're supposed to be her protector Josh, remember? You promised to protect her?"


"Yeah…"


"Like Kevin says…just give her time. You apologized, there's nothing more that you can do right now. Just give her sometime to calm down and when she's ready she'll come play. I promise."


"If you say so…" Brian didn't reply, he only ruffled his fingers through Josh's hair, before walking back to his chair next to Kevin. Josh and Dakota went back to playing, and Kevin, Brian, and Howie sat there talking for a half n hour, then Nick and Ashley walked into the playroom. Ashley holding Abbie in her arms, and Nick has Lily. They went over and pulled chairs up to Kevin, Brian, and Howie and joined them.


"Where have you two been?" Brian asked curiously.


"Upstairs packing our stuff for tomorrow morning," Nick answered.


"I've decided I am going to do all of my packing later tonight while Ellie is asleep," Kevin replied. Dakota suddenly noticed that her daddy was in the room and she spotted Lily in his arms. She smiled and went over to him.


"Daddy!!" She greeted him cheerfully.



"Hi baby," He replied. "Look who I've got. She was lonely upstairs without you," He told her.


"Aw…poor Lily!" Dakota replied sympathetically, and she took her from Nick and hugged her close to her, kissing the top of her head. Nick smiled at her. "Why don't you go and take her to play?"



"Okay," Dakota replied, and she ran off back over to Josh with her puppy. Another hour passed while Dakota and Josh played, and eventually Elenore had calmed down enough to go play too. She crawled out of Kevin's lap and walked over to the puzzles where Josh and Dakota are, Lil Rok tucked safely under her arm. She has her thumb in her mouth, and everybody who knows her, knows that she only sucks her thumb when she's not in the best of moods. Josh and Dakota looked at her as she approached, and the smile on Josh's face faded as he saw that she still looked upset — upset over what he had done to her — or what he almost did to her anyway.



"Hi Ellie…" Dakota greeted her softly. "Are you okay?"


"I guess so…" Elenore replied, and she sat down next to Josh, who only sat there quietly staring at her. She grabbed a puzzle and began to quietly put it together. Josh and Dakota looked at each other and shrugged, then they went back to putting their own puzzles together. After awhile though, Dakota noticed Sarah had gotten up from the paint table and went over and crawled into Nick's lap. Noticing this, she was suddenly watching them again, the green monster jealousy growing very big inside her.