- Text Size +
The Boys were escorted onto the helicopter and fastened in. Brian was reluctant to get on anything that flew ("What if it crashes in another llama field?" he rationalized). Howie immediately fell asleep before the thing had even taken off again. AJ drank two bottles of water within seconds and was begging for a third. Nick, however, pressed his nose to the window, and stared down at the field as the helicopter lifted off the ground, carrying them away from the llama field. He stared as the llamas all looked up, watching as the helicopter departed, their necks stretching.

It felt like a salute - as though Taps should've been playing somewhere in the background.

Nick turned to AJ. "Are you gonna miss them?" he asked quietly.

"Who?" AJ asked, gurgling on the water.

"Them," Nick answered, thumbing at the window, "The llamas."

AJ gave Nick a weird look. "Fuck no," he answered, "Why the fuck would I miss those bastards?" He rolled his eyes.

Nick turned back to the window and looked down at them.

They were still watching, craning their necks, in a cluster at the top of the hill on the horizon as the helicopter sped away.

"Yeah you're right, they're a bunch of bastard rapist sheeps," he muttered, shaking his head and turning away.

But after that, Nick always had a secret love for llamas that he never disclosed to anyone except for Ethan - the stuffed llama that he bought and slept with every night for the rest of his life.

The End.