- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Back with a new chapter! Hope you enjoy this update!
Chapter 22

Nick's eyes widened when he saw his father standing in the doorway.

"Dad?" he whispered, his breath catching in his throat, mouth feeling like cotton. Nick's eyes met with Amanda's and she smiled.

"Hi, son....how you feeling?" Bob asked.

"But...but how?"

"Amanda told me you needed me more than I thought you did....she helped me realize I need to be in your life, Nick." Bob explained, taking Nick's hand as he sat on the edge of the bed. Nick smiled at him...it was a good feeling to see his father sitting in the room.

"Why did you leave? You came back and then you left me again." he said softly. It had been so hard for him to deal with everything and his father just didn't seem to care.

"Nick, this isn't easy for me to tell you....but the reason I left is not because I wanted to. Your mother took away my rights to you. She told the court that I was the one who abused you, not her." Bob explained, not meeting his son's gaze, his brown eyes glazed over with tears.

"But...but why?" Nick asked in such an innocent voice that he sounded like a child again.

"Your mom never wanted a son....she wanted a daughter. When you were born she asked them to check again." Bob replied. Nick shook his head, hating himself. He couldn't believe that his mother had put him through everything simply because he was a boy. It felt horrible.

"She did all of that because I was a boy?" Nick asked in disbelief. He hated his mother more than ever, when he closed his eyes....he could hear her again.

"Nick....I never wanted to leave. She fought so much to keep you when I went to court for custody. I'm not sure why she did that....but she blamed me for everything. She told them I was not fit to take care of you. Your mother told them I was the one abusing you...it killed me. After they took my rights away, there was a restraining order and she moved." Bob said, feeling ashamed. Nick looked at Amanda again...she was simply nodding as she took it all in.

"Wait, where did we live before all of this?" Nick asked. Oceanview had been his home as long as he could remember.

"We had a small apartment in Miami, for the two of us until you were born. When we were separated, she moved here. We had tried to patch things up, but it didn't work out."

"You and Jane tried to make amends?" Amanda asked. Now it made sense where Aaron had come into the picture. She glanced at Nick and he knew now it was time to tell him about his other son.

"Dad....there's something I need to tell you....there is someone I want you to meet." Nick said, glancing at Amanda. She seemed to read his mind, she nodded and left the room before returning with Aaron.

"Nick, all I want is for us to be a family again. I never wanted any of this to happen, I wish I could take it all back and have a do over." Bob said, before he noticed the new addition to the room.

"Hi, Aaron. I want you to meet somebody." Nick said, smiling as he looked at his family.

"Nick, what's going on?" Aaron asked, taking his hand. He wasn't sure what to think anymore of the man who had called himself "Nick's uncle".

"Dad, I want you to meet my brother, Aaron." Nick said softly. Aaron and Bob looked at each other in confusion.

"Your brother?"

"Yes. He is my brother....and also your son." Nick replied, his eyes darkening. Bob let a small look of surprise across his face.

"Daddy?" Aaron said suddenly, breaking the silence. He stared at Bob and smiled, who returned it. Bob nodded and Aaron threw his arms around him, wrapping him in a hug. Bob let the tears fall as he held Aaron....their family reunited.

"Nick, how did you find him?" Bob asked.

"It's kind of funny, actually. He found me at Thanksgiving. I won custody of him after finding out that Mom did to him what she did to me." Nick replied.

"But....but Mom said you were dead." Aaron said, his face scrunched up in confusion.

"Did she tell you that? No, I'm very much alive, son. I'm not going away again." Bob explained. Aaron seemed to be happy to have him back, and the three of them talked before Bob offered to take Aaron to dinner and get to know him better.

"You've had an exciting day, haven't you?" Amanda said once everything calmed down.
"Thank you, Amanda.....thank you for giving me something I have always wanted. Now we can be a family again. I just wish I could have gone out with them." Nick grinned.

"You will be walking soon, sweetheart." Amanda said as she kissed him on the cheek. The doctors told her Nick's arm cast would be coming off any day and he could start using crutches to get around. That would mean Nick was going to be mobile soon. As happy as she was about this, Amanda knew that something big was about to happen.