- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yes its a brand new chapter! Hope you are all enjoying...my muse seems to like this story right now so I may have more soon :) enjoy!
Chapter 41

Nick sat backstage, his body trembling with excitement. He had overcome so much to be on stage again....had been through hell in the last few months...and now he was coming back. He always liked the moments leading up to the actual show, he loved the anticipation and energy from the crowd. Nick stood up and looked at himself in the mirror. He wore a white button down shirt with a tank top underneath. It was almost the same outfit he wore the night the club had opened.

"You okay?" Amanda said, putting her arms around him and kissing him gently. She felt him trembling under her touch.

"Just nerves I suppose." he said. He ran a hand through his hair and sighed.

"The club is packed. You will be fine sweetheart...you always are." she whispered.

"Is my dad here?"

"He's talking to my parents. You look great. Now go out there and show them you still got it, Carter." Amanda smiled, tapping him on the ass as he walked out of the room. Nick took his spot on the stage and the lights dimmed. When the lights came on, Nick smiled at the crowded room....cheers and squeals of excited girls ringing in his ears. He grinned, knowing how to tease them.

"I have been gone for a few months....I thought you guys missed me." he said, pouting then laughing when the screams got louder. Nick loved to interact with his audience. He took the microphone in his hand and walked to the edge of the stage, smiling.

"It has been a hard journey for me to come back and stand here tonight....but I will keep coming back as long as you all want me to." he said softly. Cheers erupted again and then the crowd got silent again. Nick went right into his set and Amanda beamed with pride at her fiancé....Nick Carter was back and better than ever, his voice had improved after rest. Nick didn't tire, he showed no sign of slowing down during his entire show.

"What do you think, Mom?" Amanda asked as she took a seat next to her. Amanda had put so much work into the club and it was the first time her mother and father were seeing it, she wanted it to be perfect.

"It's nice." she said, watching Nick as if her daughter wasn't there. The whole night passed and all Linda did was compliment Nick....Amanda fought off the urge to speak up. Her parents and Nick's father hung around for a while after the club closed. Nick looked tired after his first show and Amanda was just tired of her mother.

"You did such a good job tonight, Nick...I am so proud of you!" Linda said when Nick emerged from the dressing room wearing jeans and a form fitting T-shirt. Nick blushed and looked at his feet, smiling slightly as he was bombarded with compliments from Linda. He watched Amanda, his fiancé stood in silence as her eyes watered.

"Amanda did a wonderful job running everything tonight," Bob chimed in, grinning.

"Yes, the club is very successful." John agreed. Amanda smiled slightly but her mother was too busy showering Nick with compliments to notice her.

"Nick you sounded amazing tonight, your voice is quite a gift."

"Uh....thanks.....I guess." Nick mumbled shyly, not looking pleased. Amanda noticed he was uncomfortable, Nick did not like the attention Linda was giving him at all.

"Baby, you look tired...why don't you guys go home and rest? You deserve it." Amanda suggested. Nick could hear in her voice she was upset. Even on the way back to the house Linda continued....never mentioning her daughter, only commenting on Nick.

Later that night Nick lay in bed alone, sitting in the dark and thinking. All he could think about was Amanda's expression...he knew she was upset and wished he could fix it. He didn't want the attention Linda was giving. Nick didn't sing to get praise or get noticed. He did it for himself and no one else.

"Baby?" Nick whispered when he heard Amanda in the room. She was sniffling...it broke his heart to hear her cry.

"What are you still doing up? Shouldn't you be resting?" she replied. Nick turned the light on next to the bed and saw her wiping her eyes.

"Are you okay?"

"Nick.....I am not mad at you. I know you didn't ask for all of that...but it was a big night for me too." Amanda started as Nick held her. He nodded, listening intently.

"All I wanted was for my mom to tell me she was proud of me....I worked so hard to keep that club running...and for her to ignore it, well it hurt."

"I'm so sorry, baby." Nick said. Growing up he knew how she felt...wondering if his dad would be proud of his achievements...wondering if his mom cared at all.

"I finally understand....I understand how you felt when you thought I replaced you with Brian...it's like my mom would rather have a son." Amanda said tearfully. Nick kissed her gently and stroked her hair....calming her the best he could, but he just let her cry. She needed to let it all out and now all Nick could think about was how he could make it right for her. He knew he would have to do something that was potentially dangerous.....standing up to the mother in law.