- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ummm please don't hate me for this chapter :P lol hope you like it!
Chapter 6

"What are you doing?" AJ asked as he walked into the kitchen. A foul smell hung in the air....as he came upon Nick in the doorway removing his muddy sneakers.

"Amanda's not home, is she?" Nick asked as he looked up at him.

"You smell like a animal, dude." AJ said, making a face as he walked over. Nick grabbed his own shirt and sniffed before making a face as well. He smelled horrible, like he rolled around in a dumpster.

"Why do you smell like horse shit?" AJ whispered, making sure Aaron and the swear jar weren't around...but Aaron was at school still.

"No reason..." Nick said as he walked further into the house.

"Uh, Nick....don't you have rehearsal at two?" AJ pointed out. Nick's face went pale as he looked at the clock. It was 1:45, and he only had 15 minutes to get to the club before Amanda blew a gasket.

"Oh crap. Yeah, I do...but I can't go smelling like this! I need to take a shower!" Nick said before running up the stairs. He tore off his clothes as he ran, leaving a trail of clothes leading to the bathroom. He hopped in and let the warm water cover his body, lathering himself with soap. He felt sore from the horseback riding and his muscles were tender...it had been a challenge getting on the horse...facing his fear...but he was doing it for Amanda. After the shower he wrapped a towel around his waist then got dressed and threw his clothes down the laundry chute. He raced down the stairs two at a time and to his car, then sped to rehearsals with a minute to spare. Amanda smiled as her fiancé walked in, his damp hair hanging in strings across his face.

"Hi baby..." Amanda said as he kissed her cheek and squeezed her butt a little. She responded with a playful smack on his arm as he nibbled on her earlobe and chuckled. Nick smelled of cologne and soap, like he had just gotten out of the shower.

"Did you just shower? Your hair is still wet." Amanda observed, not that she was complaining. He looked so good that she wanted to throw him down on the stage and jump him, but held herself back..after all...the band was there.

"Yes, I did." Nick said as he took his guitar out of its case and began to tune it.

"Didn't you shower this morning?" Amanda asked, following him.

"I mowed the lawn after lunch, I got sweaty...." Nick said. Amanda smiled, imagining him mowing the lawn shirtless, the sweat dripping down his arms and face. After they talked they started rehearsal. The next afternoon AJ caught him again sneaking into the house, this time covered in mud.

"That's disgusting! What have you been doing?" AJ demanded. Nick smelled worse than the day before, he even had mud in his hair.

"It's a surprise....for Amanda." Nick grinned as he took off his shoes.

"Well she's out back tanning. You better get a shower, you smell horrible." AJ commented.
"I'm learning how to horseback ride." Nick whispered, opening the curtain to see the backyard. Amanda was sunbathing in the blue bikini that Nick liked, the one he had bought her when they went to the Virgin Islands.

"Why?" AJ asked, opening the fridge to get some soda.

"I want to ride....why are you reading into this so much?" Nick told him blankly.

"Just be careful. Horses can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing." AJ warned, opening the soda. Nick laughed it off, he knew from personal experience how dangerous horses could be. Nick began to cook dinner as Amanda walked in looking bummed.

"What's wrong, baby?" Nick asked, frowning at her.

"Brian and I were supposed to go riding tomorrow....but he just cancelled." Amanda sighed, sitting down at the table.

"I could go with you." Nick said before he could stop himself. He had only taken three lessons, what was he thinking?

"I thought you were busy tomorrow." Amanda said, looking at him curiously.

"I'm never too busy for you." Nick told her with a smile. Before he knew it he had plans to go riding with Amanda at the ranch the next day. That morning, Nick was nervous the whole car ride there.

"Oh darn. The gate's locked. Guess we'll have to go home!" he said once they reached the gate.

"You're funny, Nick. Brian loaned me a key this morning." Amanda said as she unlocked the gate. They chose their horses and went down the trail, the sun shining through the trees. Nick was enjoying himself, and Amanda thought he was doing a fine job at riding.
"Baby, come look at this," Amanda said. She heard another horse whinny not far away and looked up to see the horse throw Nick up into the air. He screamed as he fell and landed on the ground near the willow tree. Amanda's eyes went wide with terror as she jumped down off of the horse and ran to him, her heart beating faster as she went.

"NICK!!!" she screamed, but he was motionless, his head slumped over his arm like a rag doll. Amanda felt the tears flow as she bent down to check him, her hands shaking as she looked him over. Nick lay in front of her, his body still not moving. He was breathing but not responding to her. Amanda could only think of Christopher Reeve, who had fallen off a horse and had been paralyzed for life. Thoughts and fears raced through her mind as she cried, trying to wake him up....wondering how she would save him.