- Text Size +
Chapter Nineteen

I woke up late the next day. Of course, I was technically 'fired' from my job, so it wasn't like I needed to set an alarm.

I just hadn't expected to wake up with Joe right in my face.

"What are you doing?" I screeched.

"What did you and Mason do?" he replied. "I've never seen dad so pissed."

I groaned. The events of last night came flooding back. Not that they had ever gone far.

"I don't want to talk about it."

Joe grinned. "Then it must have been real bad."

"What was bad?"

Ally came into the room yawning.

"Didn't you hear the explosion from downstairs last night?" Joe asked. Ally gave him a look. Joe looked apologetic.

"Oh yeah."

Ally had to take her ear devices off before going to bed. She was oblivious to the world around her when they were off. She had to rely on her other senses.

"Where were you at?" Ally asked. "We got here and Dan said something about a vacuum cleaner and dad got so mad and him and Uncle Kevin took off."

"Guys, I don't want to talk about it," I said. Ally smiled.

"Is Mason your boyfriend?"

I was lucky Mason was still alive after the events of the night.

"Could you both just go so I can get up and brush my teeth?"

Joe hopped off the good idea.

"That's a good idea. Your breath reeks. I don't know how Mason could kiss that."

I shoved him aside and stood up.

"GET OUT!"

Joe took off but Ally paused a minute. She looked at me curiously. I couldn't get as mad at her. I sighed.

"I'll talk to you later, okay Al?"

She nodded and left the room.

I took a moment to look in the mirror. I looked like a mess. I yanked the elastic band out of my hair and headed down the hall to the bathroom.

Dad appeared out of nowhere. He glanced around. I had a feeling I knew what he was doing.

Mason patrol.

He didn't say anything and neither did I. I just gave him a dirty look and locked myself into the bathroom.

I took a shower but it was far from relaxing. About ten minutes in, I heard a lot of knocking.

"SHELBY I GOTTA PEE!" Tristan yelled. Or maybe it was Brayden. I don't know.

"THERE'S NOT ENOUGH BAFROOMS!"

After I made sure my hair was at least rinsed, I quickly got dressed. I yanked open the door. Brayden stared up at me.

"GO PEE!" I said impatiently.

"I don't got to anymore."

I looked down and groaned.

"MOM!"

--------------------------------

I had hoped to talk to Mason alone but anytime we got near each other there was some parental getting in the way. Finally I announced that I was taking Ally out to the barn.

If I couldn't talk to Mason, I'd at least talk to her.

"So what happened?" Ally asked as I pushed open the barn door.

"Dad thinks I'm five," I said angrily.

"What?"

"Mason and I..." I trailed off. "Yeah, we're a couple."

Ally's face broke into a huge grin. "I knew it! I've always known it," she said wisely.

"What?"

"You two have always been together. I can't remember you hanging out with anyone as much as Mason and you live so far away from each other."

I sighed. "Yeah, you're right."

She was right. Looking back it had always been Mason.

"He's gotten really tall," Ally added. "And cute."

I cracked a smile. My little sister might have been, well, little, but she had good taste.

"But what happened?"

I paused. "Mason and I were...in the truck and dad and Kevin caught us."

"Doing what?"

"Stuff."

"Oh."

I knew that with the whole 'period' talk it was mom's tradition to have the 'other' talk at the same time. I figured Ally could probably piece it all together. She leaned over the stall and ran her hand down Cracker's nose.

"Did you get in trouble?"

I snorted. "You could say that. I'm headed home with you guys."

Ally looked at me. "What? But why?"

I folded my arms. The more I thought about it, the angrier I got.

"Because dad doesn't trust me."

I had never been so angry with him in all my life. I was sixteen. I was an adult. Okay, maybe a young adult but that was still an adult. I could make grown-up decisions. It wasn't like we weren't being careful.

It wasn't fair.

--------------------------------------

"Mom, please don't make me do this."

We were at the mall in Lexington and we were standing outside Victoria's Secret. Mom shook her head.

"Nope, you're going in there and explaining why you need to return this dress."

I bit down on my tongue. This was ridiculous. Mason was back home digging holes in the dirt under Kevin's direct supervision. I highly doubted it was even for a purpose. I bet it was just punishment.

And I was being subjected to torture at the mall.

I shuffled into the store. With a heavy sigh I made my way to the counter.

"Can I help you?"

"I need to return this," I mumbled. I shoved the bag across the counter.

"What's the reason for the return?"

"I just don't like it," I said quietly. Mom coughed loudly behind me. I closed my eyes.

Ugh.

"The dress isn't appropriate for a girl my age," I said. The sales lady looked from me to mom and smiled.

"I see."

I stood there in agony as the lady made slow work out of the refund process. When I finally had the money, mom took it from me.

"Hey! Dad gave me that money!"

"And now I'm taking it back."

I shoved my hands in my jeans pockets and stomped out of the store.

Dad had corraled the twins, Ally, and Joe nearby. He looked at mom.

"Done?"

She nodded.

"Done."

Dad smiled at me. I didn't feel like smiling back.

"I found the perfect dress for you to wear," he said gently.

I didn't respond. Everyone followed dad. I was suddenly reminded of little ducklings following the main duck. And currently, dad was being a giant ass quack. We passed all of the cool and trendy stores. Dad stopped at the window of a store right next to the toy store and pointed in.

My jaw dropped.

The thing was pink (pink!) and looked like it was made by (and for) the Amish. It had long sleeves with white cuffs. What looked like a bib wrapped around the neckline. And the length...it came down to the ankles.

Joe started to laugh. "She'd look like a pink Mary Poppins!" he said in glee.

"I'll just wear something I brought from home," I said miserably.

At this point I couldn't get excited about the party anyhow.

I would be lucky if I was even able to say Happy Birthday to Mason.

Let alone give him the kiss I so wanted to share.