- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Six

"I wish you didn't have to work today."

I sighed. "Me either."

Mason leaned over, cupped the back of my head, and kissed me.

"Your shift's over at four?"

"Yup."

"I'll be here."

I smiled, gave him another kiss and hopped out of the truck.

Mason had to leave early tomorrow morning to get back to Kentucky in time. We only had tonight.

My mind was in the clouds at work. I mixed up three customers orders and sent a thing of strawberries sailing across the floor.

Needless to say, I wasn't getting any promotions of any sort today. The manager was giving me the evil eye.

At a quarter til four, I looked up at my next customer. Mason leaned against the counter grinning at me.

"Let's try the blueberry smoothie," he said.

"It'll turn your tongue blue."

His grin widened.

I think I blushed from the tips of my ears to the tips of my toes. I turned around. I blanked out.

What was it? Something about a tongue...no, wait.

Blueberries.

I put in the blueberries, flax, ice...all the standard ingredients. As it was mixing, I glanced over at him.

He already had a straw clamped between his teeth. He maneuvered it up and down and growled at me.

I was so not holding the lid tight enough. Blueberry goo shot up into the sky and I'll admit it, I screamed and ducked.

"SHELBY!"

I had popped the manager's last forehead vein.

"I'm sorry!"

"It was my fault," Mason said apologetically.

"No it wasn't," I said.

"Yes it was."

The manager watched me like a hawk as I cleaned it up. By the time I finally gave Mason his smoothie, I was a sticky mess. His eyes sparkled.

"Thanks doll."

I glanced at the clock. It was finally time to punch out. I headed in the back, took off my apron and slid my card. By the time I came back out, Mason had half the smoothie gone.

"Really good," he said.

"I'm sticky."

Mason grinned.

"Well we better get you home then."

------------------------------------

"You're not sticky."

"I can throw the rest of the smoothie on me if it would help you make up your mind."

I was standing at the bathroom door. Mason had his arms braced against the doorframe.

"C'mon Shel."

I glanced at the shower. I glanced at him.

"Really?"

"Yeah, really."

I smiled.

"Okay."

Ten minutes later, I was naked and soapy in the shower with Mas. I was basking in the amazing sensation of his fingers lathering shampoo through my hair. I leaned back against him and sighed. He pressed a kiss to my neck.

Somehow a hair shampoo turned into a full on make out which quickly turned into more. I trailed kisses down his wet stomach and farther still. I paused for only a moment before I took him in my mouth. I heard his palms slap against the tiled walls and a deep moan of satisfaction.

By the time Mason's moans turned to swear words he yanked me back to my feet and pinned me to the wall. Our breath mixed with the steam of the water. His hands pressed against my thighs. I shivered deliciously as he entered me.

"Oh god," I quivered. I held onto his shoulders as he supported me against the wall.

My disastrous day at work was quickly forgotten. All that mattered at this moment was the amazing thing that was happening here and now.

"I'll pull out," he whispered. I nodded, barely hearing him. It was so bad to be doing this behind our parents backs and yet it was so good. So good...

The only sound besides the water pouring down on us was Mason's breath in my ear. Our bodies were one and I knew I was going to cry my heart out when he had to leave and I suddenly wished we were older and...

Mason's grip on me tightened and through heavily lidded eyes I saw his face tense and our bodies simultaneously spasm. I didn't really realize at that moment what exactly had happened.

But that was because there was another noise.

"Shel?"

I stifled a scream. Mason was mumbling something about 'sorry' but it was drowned out by the sudden panic coursing through me. I slapped a hand across his mouth and opened the shower door. I grabbed a towel, wrapped it around me, and opened the door.

When I looked over the landing, I saw dad in the hall. He looked up in surprise.

"Hey sweetie."

"Dad!"

My voice sounded higher than normal. Much higher than normal.

"What are you doing here?"

"We forgot a few things." Dad held up a bag. "How are things going here?"

"Here? Fine! I just got off work. I got smoothie all over me and I had to ride the bus that way and I was just taking a shower when I heard your voice and..."

I was rambling. I stopped and took a breath.

"Did you want to come back with me?"

I shook my head. "No go ahead. Really. I'm fine here. I'm tired from work."

Dad looked disappointed. "Okay." He paused.

"You didn't turn off the water?"

I almost blanched. "What? No. I was surprised to hear you. I'm going to go...do that."

Dad fiddled with his keys and headed towards the door. "Call me if you need anything okay? I love you."

My heart was slowing. "Love you too."

I exhaled loudly and ran back to the bathroom.

Mason was leaning against the shower wall. I turned off the water.

"That was close," I said. He looked at me guiltily.

"Shel I--"

I handed him a towel. "It's okay. Dad just needed to pick up a few things. He should alread be heading back to the beach house."

Mason shook his head. "No I--"

There came a sound almost like a cannonball, but in hindsight I realize that it was the sound of the front door literally banging open.

"SHELBY!"

It was dad's voice again. My eyes widened. Mason had the towel around his waist and my hair was still dripping wet. Before I could react, the door burst open.

We were so busted.

-------------------------

Author's Note: I just got back from Cincinnati and oh my goodness it was amazing. I knew that the last show of the tour would be incredible. Check out my pictures, including AJ singing Straight Through my Heart in orange undies and yellow smiley face socks, here.