- Text Size +

Nick

It had been a couple of weeks since that day at Trina's apartment. Nick pulled into a vacant visitor spot and turned his car off. He hoped that Trina would agree to the trip he'd planned. They'd spoken on the phone so rarely since the last time he was here.

He knocked on the door to her place and listened as her footsteps got closer. The footsteps paused at the door and he knew she was looking out the peep hole so he put on his biggest, goofiest grins.

“Trina, I got something awesome planned. I know you don't work the next few days, please say you'll come.” Nick now stuck his lower lip out and pouted. He heard the locks being undone and the door knob turned, but the door was not pulled open.

He cautiously pushed open the door to find the apartment dark. “Trina?” He wandered in further and found her sitting on the far end of the couch. “What are you doing?” He asked as he flipped on the light switch.

“Just got up,” she shrugged.

“Trina?” He sat next to her.

She shook her head and turned towards Nick. “I suppose it's nothing, what did you have in mind?” She asked smiling in her usual manner.

Nick pulled out an envelope, opening it to show two tickets leaving for Las Vegas later that night. “What do you think?”

“Sure, sounds fun,” She moved to her bedroom and looked back at Nick. “I'll just pack for the night?” She asked and smiled as Nick nodded.

The two arrived and checked into the hotel and threw their bags down on the bed. “What now?” Trina asked, hands on hips watching Nick.

Nick looked around and shrugged, he moved around the room checking the place out. Since he hadn't booked a hotel room prior to their arrival they'd ended up in one of last suites, it was expensive, but Nick didn't care. He wanted to show Trina a good time, help her forget the dick of an ex-boyfriend.

“Well, we could go down to the tables?” Nick suggested.

The next thing he knew sunlight was streaming in through the windows shining right into his eyes. He rubbed his eyes with his fingers and sat up. He looked down realizing that the only thing covering him was the sheet off the bed, his underwear was lying strewn across the nearby chair, he stood and quickly swiped them off the chair and quickly put them on.

He turned to face the bed, “Shit.” He cursed to himself as he saw Trina laying in the bed he just exited, just as naked as he was. He tried to recall the night before. They got in the room and agreed to go downstairs to gamble. He remembered a few drinks, winning some, losing some. There were more drinks. He seemed to recall a lot of kissing but other than that, his mind was blank as to how they ended up in the same bed, naked. Not that he minded that much, he had wanted to sleep with Trina for awhile now.

“Trina!” He called out. She rolled her head the opposite way and groaned.

He moved over to the other side of the bed and crouched down next to the bed. “Trina..” he called softly this time.

He watched as her eyes blinked open and she smiled at him, noticing he had no shirt on. “Mmm, have you always looked that sexy without your shirt?”

“I could ask you the same,” Nick laughed.

“What?” She asked as she looked down at herself. “Shit. How did this happen?” She asked pulling the covers closer to her neck.

“Your guess is as good as mine,” He ran his hands through his hair, sunlight glinting off of something on his hand. “What the fuck?” He asked as he brought his hand back down staring at titanium band on the ring finger of his left hand.

“Gimme your hand,” he demanded Trina.

“Why?” she asked, tentatively giving him her hand.

“No the other hand,” He said after she put out her right hand. She pulled her left hand out from under the sheets and looked down. “What the...?” She asked sitting straight up, letting the sheet fall then quickly pulling it back up to cover herself.

Nick looked down at the band on her left ring finger, three diamonds set in the middle. “Shit,” he mumbled to himself and stood up searching for his wallet. He found it thrown on the bar top in the sitting room, where many empty bottles of alcohol could be found. He flipped it open and rummaged through the cash he found looking for anything that might help give him a clue as to what happened.

He found two receipts in his wallet, his drunk self was at least responsible enough to keep the receipts somewhere he'd be able to find them. He looked at the one for the jewelry store and cringed. They were wearing them, he knew he bought them, what did he expect that one to show him.

Nick hesitated looking at the other receipt. Trina, with a tank top and shorts on, joined him in the room. “What's that?” She asked him.

He shrugged. “It's a receipt for something, I'm afraid to look at it.”
“Let me,” She took the paper from him and unfolded it several times before it was full size. “Fuck, it's not a receipt,” She tossed the paper in front of him. Nick looked down and saw a marriage license with both of their names complete with the officiant and two witnesses.

Nick dropped his head into his hands and rested his elbows on the counter top. “This is not good,” he mumbled into his hands.

He could feel Trina's hands on his shoulders, her lips brushing against his back. “We can return the rings and get an annulment. We wouldn't be the first couple to do something like this I'm sure.” The sound of her ring clattered on the counter below him.

He picked it up and held it in his fingers. “You are right, we can just undo this,” he smiled at her. Nick grabbed his phone and started looking through the directory searching for anywhere they could annul.

“Hello?” Trina disrupted his thoughts as she answered her phone. “Mom?” She questioned. “What, slow down, I told you what? You want to what?” Trina looked over at Nick, mouth gaped open. “Yes, yes, we'll make plans,” She said and then got off of the phone.

“Well apparently I called my mother and told her the good news last night.” Trina rolled her eyes. “She can't wait to meet you,”

“You are going to tell her right?” Nick asked.

Trina nodded and looked away from Nick.

“What's that look for? You know we can't stay married. I like you and all Trina, but marriage?” He laughed playing with the rings in his hand.

“I know, it's just, she's always wanted to see me married and …” she stopped

“Then wait a little while and then tell her, say it didn't work out. No need to tell her it was a Vegas wedding.” He sat in a chair nearby and put his hand on her arm to comfort her.

“She knows,” she huffed. “She mentioned it on the phone just now.”

Nick looked around the room and managed to find his pants. He pulled them on as Trina sat in the chair looking perplexed.

“Nick,” she started. “I can't do this to her just yet. I can't tell her I'm married one minute and then tell her it didn't work out not even a day later.” She sighed.

Nick bit his lip looking at the woman sitting in the chair and knew what he was going to say, knew it was something that could bite him in the ass big time, something he was going to take shit for from the guys. “Why don't we stay married?” He asked.

Trina looked up at him shocked. “What? Why would you suggest that?” She asked standing and moving next to him.

“Let's try this, how about we meet your mom within the next couple of weeks the happy married couple, then we can get the marriage annulled.” Nick shrugged. “You can tell her what you want, that I ran off, that I'm a complete dick, whatever you like.” He had no idea why he was suggesting this. It would be just as easy for Trina to tell her mom these things without meeting him.

“You would do that for me,” Trina's face lit up as she moved closer still.

“Sure,” he shrugged. “If the press already has this story it would look better if I tried,” he smiled.

“So, you are only doing this for press?” Trina asked, a look of disappointment crossing her face.

“No, not just press,” He pulled her closer to him, wrapping his arms tightly around her. He leaned down and whispered in her ear, “I'd get to see you naked every day,”

“Hey... I'll have you know...” She started to speak but was cut off as Nick kissed her shutting her up. He liked the way her lips felt and dammit if he wasn't going to enjoy the time they spent as a married couple.

Chapter End Notes:

Okay, that was a little random, but I think a fun way to end Nick's story. :-D Hope you enjoyed it.