- Text Size +

AJ

AJ stood in the line at the ticket counter for check in watching for anyone watching him.  He didn’t mind when fans came up to him, but he did not want to be mobbed in the airport.  He approached the counter and started pull out the information he knew would be needed. 

“Name, destination and ID please” the woman behind the counter asked without looking up from her monitor.

“Alexander Mclean, Heathrow airport,” He replied and handed her his passport.  He could hear her fingers tapping the keys quickly as he waited for her to print off his boarding pass.   

“Any bags today?” She asked; still busy typing on the keyboard.

“Just the one carry on.”  He said as he pulled on the strap for his one bag with a couple changes of clothing.  Though he hoped he would have reason to have more, he wasn’t sure how warm his reception would be.

After waiting for another few minutes listening to the attendant tap away on the keyboard she pulled out his boarding pass and placed in an envelope. 

“Keep your passport out as they will need to see it at security.  Have a nice day and enjoy your flight.” She said looking up and for the first time laying eyes on him.  Her smiled brightened when she saw him, but she maintained her composure. 

He made his way through security fairly easy.  He’d made sure to pack any and all of his usual metal accessories in his bag before reaching the airport and since he’s scaled down on the amount of crazy hairdos he only had a small bottle of shampoo to separate out.

He arrived at the terminal and took a seat, pulling out his phone and opening his Words with Friends application.  He noticed that it was his move for his games against Brian and Kevin.  Howie hadn’t played yet, and Nick probably wouldn’t answer his challenge.   He laughed at the score between him and Kevin he was so far behind the older man that it was almost pointless for him to continue.  He messed around with his letters and finally came up with a word, put it on the board and hit submit.   He replied to Brian’s game too before boarding was called.

AJ waited his turn to board and handed his ticket to the airline attendant.  He found his seat in first class and pulled out his book, he’d decided to re-read the Harry Potter series and was currently on Order of the Phoenix , and his IPod before stowing his bag in the overhead compartment. 

AJ settled in for his flight to London, he’d planned an overnight flight so when he arrived in London, he will have at least, hopefully, slept for a little bit.

He watched out the window as the plan took off, he watched the skies for a brief while and then decided to read his book.  Before he knew it, the lady next to him was waking him up, they’d arrived.  He looked down at his book, he was on the same page he opened it to when he decided to read.

He grabbed all his stuff and made his way off the plan, through customs at the airport and out onto the streets of London.   He pulled out the piece of paper with the address where Karin was living.  He didn’t know how he’d managed, but he’d been able to find out the number for that Lori girl from the other night from a former co-worker of Karin’s, then he managed to get the address from her.  It didn’t take much convincing so he wondered if Lori was rooting for him to go out and visit.

After a crazy drive through the streets of the city in the cab he’d arrived at the location. 

“Here’s hoping she doesn’t just toss me back out,” AJ said out loud.  The cabbie hearing this grunted thinking he was talking to him. 

“Want me to wait?” the guy asked.

AJ shook his head and paid the guy, standing in front of the building.  Showing up for a visit had sounded like a great idea in his head, as he bought the ticket, as he boarded the plane, as he hailed the taxi, but now as he stood in front of the building he was having second thoughts.

It had only taken him a split decision to visit Karin in London.  He decided he wanted, no needed to see her and let her know that he wanted to only see her, to only be with her.  His palms were sweating as he rang the apartment given to him by Lori.

“Hello?” A voice answered.  Could that be Karin, her voice sounded different over the intercom.

“Hi,” He managed to stutter out.

“Who is this?” the voice asked back.

“I was wondering if Karin was home,” he said loudly enough for the person to hear.

“Who’s asking?”  The voice sounded slightly irritated now.

“AJ Mclean,” He answered.  No response came back to him.  “Hello?” he questioned.  He was sure the intercom had been disconnected.  He moved towards the street to look up, maybe the person was trying to see if he was full of shit.   He saw a girl hanging out the window, he waved and smiled.  He watched as she ducked back inside, the next thing he heard was the buzzer releasing the door lock.

He pulled open the door and made his way up the stairs to apartment 4E.  The door was open before he got there. 

“Karin talked about knowing you but I didn’t believe her,” the girl who buzzed him up started talking.  “She might not be too happy I let you in, but I’m happy I let you in.”  She winked at AJ and moved aside so he could enter.

“She’s in the shower right now, she’s gonna flip when she sees you.” The girl laughed and moved to the kitchen.  “Can I get you anything to drink?”    

“Water,” he mumbled realizing how dry his mouth was feeling.  He was nervous Karin really would flip when he saw her.    

It was only a minute later before Karin came out of the bathroom, drying her hair with a towel.  “Marcie, who are you talking to out here?”  She looked up to see AJ sitting on the couch.  “Oh,” she stammered.

Before she could move, AJ was standing next to her.  “Can we talk,” He wanted to get it out before she could say anything.

“Why are you here?” She asked.

“I had to see you, more than that, I had to speak with you.  After the last time we spoke you made me realize that I’ve been a damn fool.  You really are my best friend Karin and I want to be with you.  All those other girls were only good for one thing.  I always enjoyed my time with you more, always.” He accepted the glass from Marcie and chugged the water.

“I told you, I can’t always be around to make sure you are having fun,” Karin responded glaring at Marcie who was just standing there watching the scene.  Marcie must have got the hint because she grabbed her jacket and her keys and said “toodle-loo” before walking out the door.

“I know what you said, but I’m saying I only want to be with you.  I don’t care about those other girls, I can’t stand not being around you.  I compare every girl I see now to you.”  AJ took a hold of her hand.  “Please tell me you will give me a chance to prove this to you.”

Karin hesitated.  “How do I know you won’t wander? All you have been doing is wander from bed to bed, spending your time with girls who have zeroed out or are about to zero out.”  She turned his wrist upwards so that the timer screen was apparent.  “You still have this.”

“Karin,” AJ started but she held her finger to his lips.

“You have shown me nothing to prove that you can be faithful to me.  I cannot be with someone I have to worry about sleeping around, I just won’t be that girl.”

AJ nodded like a sad puppy.  He’d failed. 

“Are you staying in London? Maybe we can grab some dinner tonight and talk more,” She smiled giving him some hope.

He nodded and they agreed on dinner and then he decided he needed to leave to check in and get situated and ready.  “Oh before I go,” AJ stood in the door.  “Howie wanted me to ask you if you would come home for his zero out bash.”  AJ laughed.  “He’s throwing a party for friends and family after he zeros out, I don’t know why, maybe so he wouldn’t be alone when he finds his girl and it’s not Anna.” AJ shrugged.

“I would love to come, when is it?” Karin asked.

“I’ll have to get you the date, I can’t keep track of his timer.”  AJ smiled before heading back out to the street.  He hailed a cab and pulled out his phone.  It was seven o’clock in London which meant it was  eleven o’clock where Nick was, he should be awake. 

He dialed the number as he got in the cab, giving the cabbie his destination.  “Hey Nick, I know what I’m going to do when I get back.”

“What?” Nick asked.

“I am going to get my timer removed.  It would be a perfect way to show Karin I mean what I say.”  AJ was excited with his idea.  He thought it was brilliant.

“Dude, do you know the scars that thing leaves behind?”

“Nick, c’mon, this is me you are talking to.  I’ll just get some sweet tattoo around them and make them look like the shit.”  AJ laughed.

“Do what you think is best, why did you call me?” Nick sounded a little irritated.

“I just had to share. Also can you get me the name and number of a place that removes them so I can set up the appointment for when I get home.  I want to have it removed when Karin shows up for Howie’s party.”   AJ finished up his call with Nick and leaned back in the cab smiling to himself.  He glanced down at his timer and smiled.  “Hasta la Vista timer.”