- Text Size +
Chapter Two - Vienna, VA

"Coffee, two creams."

I stared up at the waitress.

"Orange juice, small."

Nate smiled at me. All of a sudden I felt twelve.

"Not a coffee drinker?" he asked. It was my turn to smile.

"No, I'm more a sugary drinks type of person."

He laughed. His eyes drifted past my shoulder and he leaned forward conspiratorially. My heart sped up.

"Did anyone ever tell your dad that he makes a lousy spy?" he asked. He nodded in the direction he had just been looking.

My eyes widened. I turned around.

There weren't many people at the diner. It was easy to spot dad at a corner table, even though he was currently hiding behind a newspaper. An upside down newspaper.

I whirled around. "Excuse me," I said with a smile.

I slid out of the booth and walked over to dad's table. I tapped on the top of the newspaper. He looked up at me.

"Brooke! What are you doing here?"

"Dad, I told you I was coming here for breakfast with Nate to talk about fan club stuff," I said. I folded my arms. "What are you doing?" I whispered.

He had the decency to look at least a little ashamed.

"I was hungry," he said unconvincingly.

We had arrived in Virginia around four in the morning. I had finally wiggled out of my bed around seven. After a freezing shower I headed sent a text to Nate. At eight we met at the diner. Dad had claimed he was going back to sleep.

So much for that.

"You're spying on me," I chided.

Dad smiled. "Not at all."

He flicked the paper and turned it right side up.

"Enjoy your breakfast," he said lightly.

I walked back to the table and slid into my seat. Nate was pouring the cream in his coffee. I took a sip of my orange juice. He smiled at me.

"Where were we?" he asked.

"Ignoring my dad," I said. I got a dimpled grin for that.

We started talking about videos, blogs, and how to best utilize the tons of new social tools that had been introduced in the last couple years. We paused only to put in our breakfast orders.

"I like the idea of hiding a VIP pass in the area as long as we arrive early enough to do it," Nate said.

"That sounds cool. I love scavenger hunts."

"Excellent. Well I think if we work on these things we'll stir up some excitement in your current fanclub members excited. If they generate enough buzz, we'll probably see the number go up."

I smiled. "I can't wait to get started."

I took another sip of orange juice. I caught him looking at me and almost dropped my glass. I figured the best way to avoid thinking about him was just to continue talking.

"So what made you want to do this kind of thing?" I asked. Nate leaned back in his chair.

"When I was little, I remember how awesome it was when Uncle Sam would stop by. He'd always have these incredible stories about his photo shoots and all the celebrities he met. He got me my first camera when I was eight. I just never thought about doing anything else."

He took a sip of his coffee. "What about you? Did you always want to sing?"

I nodded. "Absolutely. There's nothing else I ever want to do. There's nothing like looking out into the crowd and realizing that you're the one that's making them so happy."

"I can understand that," he said. "Have you thought about college?"

"Dad really wants me to go," I said. "I'm thinking maybe online classes. That way I can have the best of both worlds."

"That's what I'm doing," Nate said. "I enrolled at the University of Arizona for their distance eduacation program."

"What's your major?"

"Visual Arts."

"Am I going to be part of your homework?" I teased.

"Do you want to be?"

I licked my lips. What the hell did I say to that?

"Who had the egg white omelet with green peppers?"

I looked up. The waitress was balancing a tray of food. I lifted my hand.

"And the french toast?" she asked. Nate lifted his hand.

The waitress put down our plates and walked away.

"That looks healthy," Nate said.

"Absolutely healthy," I said. I pointed my fork towards his plate. "And that looks delicious."

"Want a bite?"

He cut into the toast sprinkled with powdered sugar and topped with whipped cream. He speared a good size piece and held it out. I leaned forward to take it.

"AH-CHOOOO!!!"

I whirled around. Dad looked up at the waitress that was standing at his table.

"Allergies," he said with a smile.

I whirled around. Nate wiggled the fork at me.

"I'm thinking if I take that, dad might succumbed to hay fever," I said with a smile.

"We wouldn't that, would we?" Nate asked.

I shook my head. He shoved the forkful into his mouth. For several minutes we ate quietly. Somehow the smell of perfectly cooked peppers didn't compare to the amazing typhoon of cinnamon and sugar swirling off the french toast.

"Do you always get an egg white omelet?" Nate asked.

"Only on tour," I said. "My dance coach would have a fit if she knew about all the junk I ate when I wasn't on the road."

"Well, you hide it well," Nate said. I blushed.

"Thank you."

We worked through a good portion of the food for the next half hour. As the waitress was refilling my juice, I felt Nate's foot tap my leg. I looked at him.

"I think you dad's giving up," he said.

I turned. Dad left a tip and headed towards the door.

"He's harmless," I said turning back around. Nate held out his fork.

"I know. I've dealt with my share of dads before. He seems pretty cool."

I took the bite he held out. I closed my eyes.

"Good?"

I covered my mouth. "Heaven," I said between bites.

After I swallowed, I opened my eyes. Nate was watching me intently. I suddenly felt overpowered by green-ness. His eyes were sexy.

For some strange reason, something my best friend Kay told me forever ago came to mind. She told me during one sleepless sleepover that being around a hot, older guy could make you feel more like a woman.

I suddenly knew what she meant. If I felt any more womanly, I was going to explode.

And exploding probably wasn't the best first impression to make.