- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty One

"Okay, what's up? We're on a private jet heading to New York and you look like you swallowed a lemon. What gives?"

I let my head fall back into the cushiony leather seat. Jasper was sitting across from me, legs spread wide and in a statement of complete relaxation.

"I can't even begin to explain," I said. "It's a girl thing."

Jas gave me a crooked grin. "It has to do with the chimps, doesn't it?"

I scowled. "Stop calling them chimps!"

He snorted. "If the shoe fits..."

I sighed. My body still felt like it was under the possession of Trevor's caresses. I bit the corner of my nail.

"If they're stressing you out that bad, cut your losses and move on," Jasper suggested.

"I can't," I said.

"Why not?"

I stifled another sigh. "It's complicated."

Jasper leaned forward and pressed his hands together. "Honey, you're complicated."

I bit the inside of my cheek. "Have you ever cut your losses and moved on?" I asked. He looked amused.

"When I was your age? A couple times."

"What about now?"

He clapped his hands together before intertwining his fingers.

"I'm old enough to know that I need to be a little more choosy," he said lightly. "I'm also wise enough to know that right now I'm too immature for a serious relationship."

I smiled. "Is that supposed to be a hint?"

Jas laughed. "I'm saying nothing about your life, superstar. I have enough trouble keeping track of my own."

I smiled. "You're a goober."

"A goober? That's the best description you can come up with?"

I laughed and adopted his same casual sprawl minus the spread legs.

I had done enough of that for one day.

-----------------------------------------

"Oh my god, I love it."

"You look beautiful."

"That dress was made for you."

I ran my hands down the sides of my dress. I had completely forgotten how amazing it made me feel. I was completely polished from the top of my head to my feet.

"Good enough for the VMAs?" I asked. My stylist laughed.

"Good enough for the Grammys, doll."

I smiled and glanced at the clock. It was time to go.

"Thank you again," I said. I scooped up the dress in my hands and headed to the door.

Jasper was waiting outside. I had given him specific instructions to pick me up at 4:45. It was 5:15.

"I'm sorry," I said hurriedly. "My nailpolish wasn't drying and--"

I stopped midsentence. I almost didn't recognize the guy in front of me. Sure he had the same dark hair and dark eyes, but I was used to seeing Jasper in a Hendrix t-shirt and holey jeans. The guy leaning against the wall had on a suit that didn't have even one wrinkle. He grinned.

"I thought you died in there," he said. He nodded at me. "You do that dress justice."

I smiled. "Don't you mean the dress does me justice?"

Jas laughed. "No. I meant what I said."

I blushed. "Thanks. You look nice."

Jasper straightened his tie. "Mom always tells me I clean up nice."

He held out his hand. "Shall we?"

I put my hand in his. "Let's do this."

-----------------------------------------

"BROOKE, OVER HERE! BROOKE LOOK THIS WAY! BROOKE CAN WE HAVE A MINUTE?"

I was used to flashes. My mom was a photographer, for crying out loud. I was used to being on film every single night. Yet, nothing compared to the red carpet at the VMAs. Paparazzi were lined ten deep and the flashes all went off at the same time. Jasper reached out an arm and shielded my face. I had no idea where we were going, but he steered me forward until we had reached the media platform. He stepped aside while I talked to one of the VJs.

There were so many people. I couldn't help but become a little starstruck. Jasper made a perfect date. He led me around like a gentlemen and jumped into the conversations at the perfect time. We ended up spending a long time talking to fellow popstar Chara Catona and her date.

"You're so cute! How long have you two been dating?" she asked. She waved her glass in our direction. Jasper and I looked at each other.

"We're no dating," I explained.

"I'm her guitarist."

"We're just friends."

"Brooke's complicated."

I elbowed him in the stomach. Chara gave me a grin.

"Good luck with that," she said. She moved on. I looked up at Jasper.

"What was that all about?"

He grinned. "What? You just told me earlier that everything was complicated!"

"Not in public!"

Jasper wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

"Let's find our seats. Hopefully they put us by the speakers."

I shook my head. We walked inside and got okay'd by the security detail. One of the ushers showed us to our seats. I was five rows back on the aisle. The rest of my row was already pretty full. I carefully sat down and smoothed out my dress. I yanked up the top. Jasper slouched down and did his wide legged stance again. He caught me looking at him.

"What?"

"You're at an awards show, not sitting at home in front of the TV!"

"So?"

"Well, sit like a human being!"

"I am sitting like a human being. I'm sitting like a guy who wants some airflow."

I propped my elbow on my armrest and put my forehead in my hand. I was trying my hardest not to smile.

I had so made the right choice on my date.

-----------------------------------------

"And the award for Best New Artist goes to...BROOKE CARTER!"

I had lost the first two categories that I had been nominated for. Those had gone to well-established, ridiculously well-known acts.

I hadn't been prepared to actually hear my name. I sat there smiling stupidly. Jasper nudged me.

"That's you! Go up there!"

I glanced at him in confusion. "What?"

He laughed. "You won!"

They called my name again. I jumped up.

"I WON?!"

Everyone laughed. Jasper stood up and hugged me and I bounded up on the stage holding my dress as I ran. I took the award from the presented, got a congratulatory hug, and stared at the mic.

I hadn't prepared a speech.

"Wow, this is...wow," I said. "I want to thank my fans who've come out in mobs every night on tour. Thank you to my producers, the record label...everyone involved in my projects. And, most importantly, I want to thank my family. I was born loving music and my mom and dad gave me the drive to make my dreams reality. I love you with all my heart!"

I blew a kiss towards the camera and then turned and walked offstage to the sound of loud applause.

My first award!

Backstage, I was photographed with my moonman and interviewed. I don't even remember what I said. I just knew that I was smiling so bad my face hurt.

By the time I got back to my seat, it was the last number.

"Great speech," Jasper whispered. I smiled. "Thanks. I winged it."

His eyes crinkled. "I know."

I passed him the award to admire. I checked my cell phone. As I had suspected, I had a text message from mom.

It simply said - "WE'RE SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!"

But that was enough. Those five little words meant the world to me.

I knew that in less than two hours, I'd be back on the plane to Missouri. The dress would be packed away and Jasper and I would be back to sweats and t-shirts. But until then, I just wanted to bask in the glow of being a winner.

It felt good to be on top.

--------------------------------------

Author's Note: I will be finishing up the story 'Murder at Backstreet Mansion' today. It's a short story and PERFECT to get you in that Halloween spirit. So if you haven't already checked it out...do it!