- Text Size +
Chapter Thirty Three

I only slept a few hours. The sound of Jasper wretching was enough to get me back out of bed. Jasper had found his way to the bathroom and was heaving his guts out.

Something told me he wasn't a seasoned drinker. I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a cold rag. Trying to ignore the smell of alcohol puke, I pressed the cloth to the back of his neck. He groaned at first, but then he sighed.

"Thanks," he said into the toilet bowl.

"No problem."

He was quiet. I worried that he had fallen asleep.

"Was I dreaming or did I really tell you all that stuff earlier?"

I smiled. "You weren't dreaming."

"Damn Brooke, I'm sorry."

"Why?"

He turned his head and looked at me. His skin was clammy and he still looked kinda green.

"Because that's the type of thing you get from every guy."

I laughed. "So you don't want to be a chimp?"

He grunted.

I touched his cheek.

"Don't worry about it. Get some sleep. We'll talk in the morning."

I stood up. "Night, Jas."

He looked back at the toilet. He slowly stood up.

"Night Brooke."

-----------------------------------------

The next morning, I sat on the couch while Jas showered and cleaned up. My bus smelled a little gross so I opened the windows for a little while to clear everything up. I was checking my email on my phone when I heard the bathroom door open.

He smelled much better. I had scrounged up one of dad's shirts that he had obviously forgotten. It was strange to see Jasper in something other than black.

Blue was so his color.

"Feeling better?" I asked. He smiled as he sat down next to me.

"Much. I'm never doing a twenty-one shot salute again."

I laughed. "What about on my twenty-first birthday?" I teased. He shook his head.

"Trust me. One little margarita for you would be enough."

"Who says I'm a lightweight?"

We both smiled. He looked away first. I could tell that he was feeling a little embarassed...or awkard...or both.

"About last night," I said softly.

"Let's just forget it," he said quickly.

"Do you want to forget it or do you think I do?"

He leaned back. "Brooke, you're sixteen. I'm twenty-one. And--"

"I'm almost seventeen," I said.

"Still. In select states that could get my ass in big trouble."

"I'm pretty sure we're okay in Jersey and Rhode Island," I said. He laughed.

"True, but--"

"Jasper," I said. I turned towards him. "Just kiss me."

I think I caught him off guard. He studied my face as if trying to see if I was being serious. I was.

He swallowed hard. He raised his hand and slid along the side of my neck. I tilted my face up. My lips parted. It started off almost experimentally. He leaned forward and I could smell the cinnamon mouthwash that he must have used. His lips brushed against mine so lightly that I wasn't sure if his lips and mine were actually touching.

After a couple seconds, there was no doubt about the kiss. My eyes fluttered closed. I have to admit, it was the perfect kiss. It was moist, but not sloppily wet. It was slow and meaningful with a slight give and take as we both pulled away and came right back to one another. Jasper's hands snaked into my hair and massaged my scalp. My hands pressed against his chest.

When we finally pulled away, I struggled to open my eyes. We seemed to come back to earth at the same time.

"That was amazing," I said breathlessly. Jas was still playing with my hair.

"What did we just start?" he asked teasingly. I grinned.

"We'll just have to wait and see," I said lightly.

-------------------------------------------

"Ground rules," Jasper said.

"Ground rules?" I asked. I was sitting in my dressing room waiting for my stylist. I tugged at the little skirt that would probably give dad a heart attack if he ever saw it. Jasper closed the door behind him.

"I've been thinking about the kiss."

I smiled. "Me too."

Jas turned a chair around and straddled it.

"I've known you for a couple years. This is...this is going to change the dynamic of our relationship."

I nodded. "True."

I crossed my legs. His eyes flickered down for a moment before coming back to my face.

"I want to take it slow."

"Slow's good," I agreed.

"Kissing's okay," he reasoned.

"Kissing's amazing," I corrected.

We smiled.

"I just want you to know that if this works out between us that I'm not even going to think about taking it all the way until you're eighteen."

"You mean--"

"You know what I mean."

My heart skipped. I had a good feeling about this turn of events. Jasper was exactly what I had been looking for and he had been under my nose this entire time. I needed someone who thought with his mind, not his...

"I love that idea," I said earnestly. I held out my hand.

"It's a deal."

Jasper laughed and took my hand. He squeezed it; his dark eyes danced.

"Just do me a favor," he said lightly. I grinned.

"What?"

"Don't wear too many of those skirts. You've got the longest damn legs I've ever seen."

I looked down; he stood up and dropped my hand.

"See ya on stage, superstar."

I was tongue-tied. He kissed my cheek and walked out of the dressing room. Thirty seconds later, my stylist poked her head in.

"Ready Brooke?" she asked. I stood up. I was suddenly well aware of how much bare skin I was showing. Maybe I'd retire the short skirts for awhile. It was a simple enough request.

One that dad would probably love anyhow. The thought of dad made me wonder how he was going to feel if I started dating Jasper. Sigh.

"Ready," I said uncertainly. It wasn't that I wasn't ready for hair and makeup. It was more that I wasn't ready to tell my dad I was going to be dating an older guy.

I had a feeling that wasn't going to be a fun conversation.