- Text Size +
Chapter Forty Three

"Seventeen. Where did the time go?"

I rolled my eyes. I sprawled out on the floor and tickled Megan's stomach. She kicked out her legs like a frog. Mom stepped over me.

"It seems like just yesterday I was diving overboard for your stuffed animal," dad said with a sigh.

"Well, I'm sure Megan and Taryn will be just as adorable and witty as I am," I said. I sat up and stretched.

"What time will Jasper be here?" mom asked.

"Four."

"I can't believe you didn't want a big party," dad complained. I smiled.

"I'm going to cash in the party come graduation"

Dad winked. "Deal."

Mom laughed. "That was such a Dorough wink."

"Shut up!"

I got up and left mom and dad to playfully tease each other. Dad sat down by the babies and began to love them up as only the number one dad on earth could do.

I was more than a little excited about my birthday plans. Jasper had practicallyh had to cut off his arm for mom and dad to agree to let us go to Orlando. We were going to a concert, a late dinner...

And then we were going to spend the night at the Porofino Bay Hotel. That was the part we had the most problem with. Who knew dad could be so untrusting?

I headed upstairs and double checked my bag. I had labored over what to bring for weeks. Knowing that mom was probably going to peek, I hadn't packed any thongs or anyhting else that would remotely hint at sexual activity.

After all, it wasn't going to happen.

The only thing left for me to do was get dressed. I unzipped my garment bag and smiled.

I had opted for casual chic. Tight black pants, a black and white striped shirt, and a fitted jacket were nicely organized inside. I stripped down and put each thing on, double checking that I removed the tags and little stretchy plastic things that always hid in the shirt.

I had decided to wear Jasper's ring on my finger; somehow it didn't seem right to keep it nestled under my clothes.

For the first time ever, I was ready by the time the doorbell rang. It was three forty-five.

"I got it! I got it!"

My heeled boots reverberated on the hardwood floor as I dove towards the door. I flung open the door and smiled.

Jasper looked ready to rock and roll. In leu of his normal black t-shirt he had on an army green under his leather jacket. His jeans were ripped at the knees.

"Happy birthday," he said. He leaned in and kissed my cheek.

"Thanks," I said. I stepped back to let him in.

Dad was waiting. Jasper held out his hand.

"Good to see you again."

"You too."

Jasper had been smart to come early. After getting a rundown of 'rules,' meeting the twins, talking sports with dad and Noah, and explaining to Landon why we weren't taking him to Disney World, we were ready to go.

"Brooke," mom whispered as she pulled me into a hug. "Just promise me you'll be careful."

"I promise," I whispered.

Mom's warning stuck in my head as I buckled myself in to Jasper's rent a car. He slid on a pair of sunglasses and smiled at me.

"Ready? he asked.

I licked my lips. "Ready."

-------------------------------------------------

"So I looked at Tommy and said 'Do you realize that wasn't hamburger?"

I laughed. "What did he do?"

"He turned green and threw up all over dad."

"I bet your mom's glad she didn't have all boys," I teased.

"My sister's are just as bad. Trust me."

I smiled. My ears were still ringing from the concert. It had been nice to see things from the other side for a change. It had been even better to spend the slow songs wrapped in Jasper's arms.

"Here's your dessert."

The waiter set down a huge chocolate chip cookie covered in scoops of ice cream and drizzled in hot fudge and whipped cream. Two spoons were tucked into either side.

"Oh my god, I'm already stuffed," I said. Jasper grabbed a spoon and shook it at me.

"It's your birthday. Force yourself." I grabbed the spoon and dug in. "I could take a bath in this fudge," I declared.

Jasper's eyes darkened.

"Go on."

I kicked him under the table. "Shut up!"

Jasper gave me a lopsided smile. He dug into the cookie and held out his spoon. I leaned over and took the bite.

"Did you like the opening act?"

"Yeah, they were really good," I said. "Is my concert that loud?"

"Louder."

"No."

"Yeah. My mad skills break the sound barrier."

"You're ridiculous."

Jasper wiped his mouth. "Yeah, so you've told me a million times."

I put my spoon down.

"Ready to go?"

My heart began to pound; I nodded. The concert was over, dinner was finished, and our luggage was in the car.

Jasper paid the check and we both took out boxes of leftovers.

I wasn't tired; how could I be?

-------------------------------------------------

"Brooke, you're going to get me in trouble."

"I am not! It's not my fault they gave me all this."

"If they did their research they would have realized you're not twenty one."

I smiled. "Small detail."

The Porofino Bay Hotel was amazing. We had a room overlooking the water. I wasn't an ocean person, but the view was appealing. Between the hot tub, bed, and the bar stocked with liquor on the house, it was a disaster waiting to happen.

And it was all mine.

I picked up a bottle of vodka. Jasper swooped in and took it from me.

"What?"

"This is not a good idea."

I leaned an elbow against the bar. "So I take it you're not going to play some strip shot poker with me? For my birthday?"

Jasper groaned. "Why did you have to add your birthday into it?"

I smiled. "Because there's no way you'll say no."

Jasper worked on the top of the vodka bottle.

"One game Brooklyn, that's it. Cap size shots; not glasses."

"Deal. And socks count as one item of clothing not two."

Jasper looked at me like I was crazy. "Are you serious?"

I did a crazy little running man dance. "Totally!"

I could tell that Jas was doubting his own sanity. He sat down on the ground as I held out the pile of playing cards I had found in my search of freebies throughout the room.

"It's on," I said. I sat across from him.

"That," he said. "is what I'm worried about."