- Text Size +
Chapter Forty Four

"Do you got any threes?"

"We're playing poker, Brooke."

I giggled. It seemed like I had been doing a lot of that in the past hour or so. I was down to my shirt and my panties. I had just wiggled out of my bra. I had the vodka bottle positioned between my legs.

"I forgot how to play," I said sheepishly. Jasper grinned.

I loved that grin. It was really hot. Not just vodka-induced hot, even though I really liked the taste of vodka, but overall just a really hot smile.

"Do you know how much of a lightweight you are?" he asked. He reached for the bottle. I grabbed it and scooted back.

"I--" I said. I tried to poke myself in the chest, but I think I missed. "I'm not the one that ralphed all over the bathroom on my tour bus."

Jasper flushed. "If you had as much to drink as I had, you probably wouldn't be alive right now."

My eyes widened. "Wouldja--wouldja miss me?"

"Brooke," Jasper said softly. "Gimme the bottle. You've been sipping even when it hasn't been your turn."

He lunged for me, but I managed to turn around on my bottom. I hunched over the bottle. While I was at it, I took another swig. His strong arms wrapped around me.

Jasper was doing much better at this poker game than I was. He had lost his socks and his shirt, but everything else was in tact. Damnit.

"It's my birthday!" I said loudly. Jas's fingers were working to pry my arms apart. I shimmied back against him, or at least I thought that was where I was headed. Instead, I ended up on my back. Jasper got a hold of the bottle and stood up. I made a swipe at his leg and clung on for dear life. He pulled me across the floor to the bar. I heard the bottle move back into its place amongst its other friends. He looked down.

"Don't you think it's time for bed?"

I giggled. Then I giggled again. I let go of his legs and got on all fours. He held out his hands and I slapped my palms into them. He pulled me to my feet. I wavered slightly.

"Woah, I think I'm drunk," I said. I teetered into his embrace and burst into a total giggle fit. Jas walked me to the bed and I crashed onto it. I flipped over and scooted back into the softness of a mountain of pillows.

"I think," I said slowly. I lifted my shirt. "You should do a couple body shots. Since you won the game."

"We didn't finish the game," Jasper said. Still, he stared at my abdomen. I raised my shirt right to the bottom of my bare breasts.

"You remembered how to play the game," I said. I felt wise beyond my years. I pointed at my stomach. "That deserves a shot."

Maybe it was because I was getting really fuzzy around the edges, but I could totally see the whole 'angel/devil on the shoulder' thing taking place. Jas ran a hand down his face. He turned his back on me and walked over to the bar. He hesitated for a second before he picked up a bottle.

My eardrums were still pounding; it seems like every step he took was perfectly synchronized. He hovered by the bed and looked down at me. He unscrewed a cap of something that wasn't vodka. I squealed as the liquor hit my stomach. Jas capped the bottle, set it on the floor, and crawled up on the bed.

His tongue lapping against my skin was all it took. He sucked greedily. His mouth paused and all I felt was the fire from his breath. He made slow circles around my navel. He had every last drop sucked in seconds. I let out a soft moan and ran my hands through his hair. He looked at me and I knew.

I knew I was breaking every last stone of willpower.

Sober Brooke might have given him a break. Drunk Brooke? Not so much. I hooked my thumbs under my panties and shimmied them down.

Jasper reached towards the ground. The bottle reappeared. He took a heavy drink and walked back over to the bar. I was beginning to think my display had backfired when all of a sudden he was back; his hand wrapped around my knee and he yanked me back towards the end of the bed. His head lowered and his tongue connected with my sweet spot.

Stars exploded behind my eyes. My hands grabbed the comforter and I let out a curse that just made his tongue work harder.

When your drunk, your mind doesn't work as well as the rest of your body. At least, I didn't think it did. But for once, that was fine. It was much better letting my body call the shots. It liked to be in charge. At the very least, it liked Jasper to be in charge.

Before long, we were both completely naked. Jas pinned my wrists gently and kissed me until I never wanted to come up for air. My hips arched towards him hungrily. He let go of my right wrist and gently pushed my hips back down.

"Brooke, I love you," he whispered. "But we made a promise."

Tears sprang to my eyes. Those three words...."I love you too," I whispered. "That's why it's right."

"It can't be right to be wrong," he said. I stared at him in confusion.

"I'm too drunk to understand," I said.

He rolled over on his side and pulled me close. His fingers brushed against my breasts before he locked his hands right underneath them, making me feel totally safe in his embrace. He kissed my neck.

"If you still want to in the morning," he said. "If you still love me in the morning, when you're sober, then it will happen."

"I'm not love drunk," I whispered. I closed my eyes; I knew I wasn't going to win the battle. My hands pressed against his. He kept kissing my neck and it felt nice...so nice. I knew I could get used to sleeping like this.

I probably wouldn't enjoy sleeping alone ever again.

-------------------------------------------------

I woke to small tiny hammers banging on my temples early the next morning. I crawled out of bed and padded naked through the room. I brushed my teeth and fought to keep from gagging. I sampled the complimentary pain relievers.

Then I went back to bed. Jasper's arm wrapped back around me.

I had been drunk, but not in a stupid. Some things were too important to forget. I turned, pressed my chest to his, and kissed his face. He smiled. His hand slid down my back. He opened one eye.

"Beautiful," he murmured. Then he closed it.

I scratched my fingers lightly along his back. He let out a sigh.

"It's morning," I whispered.

"Mm-hmm," he said. I wanted to see those beautiful brown eyes...

"I still love you," I said. I pressed my forehead to his.

He looked at me. He pressed me a little closer. My heart pounded happily.

"I love you too," he said.

He kissed my forehead and rolled out of bed. My mouth opened in protest.

"You smell like Crest," he said. "You can't smell like Crest and me smell like vodka and rum. It's not cool."

A second later, I heard the water running in the bathroom. I ran my left foot along my right leg. It was morning. We loved each other. Was it going to happen?

Of course not. The life of Brooke Carter could never be that simple. While Jas was brushing his teeth, I made the mistake of checking my phone. When I clicked on the text from Kay, at first I read it and thought nothing. When I read it a second time, I let out a scream.

The words 'help' and 'labor' jumped out at my sensitive eyes.

"Jas, we need to go!" I shouted. He came running out of the bathroom.

"Go?"

My bra was already danging off my arm.

"It's Kayleigh. She's in labor. Early. Way early."