- Text Size +
Chapter Forty Five

I could have killed Kay. She hadn't been in labor; the drama queen had just decided to entice me back home so she could show me some stupid infomercial that she found hilarious.

I was not in a laughing mood. Unfortunately, I also wasn't ready to share the ins-and-outs of my relationship with Jasper.

My mind was still stuck on our declaration that we loved each other.

The idea of a do-over was promising, but I knew I wouldn't be able to talk Jasper into it. Dad had already started hinting at squeezing in a golf game when I reluctantly went over to the Littrells. I'd be lucky to even give him a kiss before he needed to head to the airport.

"You're grouchy," Kay observed.

I bit the inside of my cheek. "Sorry."

She was munching on a big bowl of fruit. She put it down on her belly like it was a TV tray.

"So, Noah and I finally made our decision."

"What decision?"

"About the adoption."

I had almost forgotten about that. I figured it was just another one of Kay's passing whims.

"What did you decide?"

Kay smiled. "Well, y'know I'm kind of a skeptic about miracles, right?"

I nodded.

"I'm not anymore. One happened. Baylee flew out here to see me. We had a long talk; probably the best talk we've ever had. He wants to raise the baby with Marcie. She can't have children. It's like it was meant to be."

I forgot about murdering her for a second. "Really? You're okay with that? Wouldn't he think you're his aunt?"

Kay shifted. She plucked a blueberry out of the bowl and tossed it in her mouth. "I trust Bay and Marcie. Marcie's a psychologist. If there's anyone that can make a little kid understand a crazy family tree, it's her."

"How does Noah feel about it?"

"He's relieved. Hell, BooBoo, I'm relieved. I can't do this. I feel like a penguin that has to take a giant crap."

I groaned. "That's eloquent, Kay."

Kay smiled. "Everyone's okay with it. My mom and dad are relieved; your mom and dad are relieved. I'm still going to get to watch him grow up. But this way Noah and I can go to college. We can have a future."

I exhaled heavily. My heart broke every time I thought about the baby. "Kay, that's really mature of you."

She belched. "Tell me about it."

I leaned over and hugged her. She sniffed.

"Do I smell rum?"

Crap. I hopped up.

"Gotta go!"

-------------------------------------------------

"I miss you."

"Well," Jas laughed. "Even though it's only been two days, I miss you too."

I smiled. "How much?"

"Let's just say I hope I don't go blind."

"Huh?"

He snorted. It was a really cute snort. "Never mind."

I sat up on my bed. "Do you want to know why I called?"

"Didn't we cover that? You missed me?"

"No! I mean, yes. But that's not why I called."

"Okay, dear. Why'd you call?"

I liked how he called me dear. "I need a prom date."

"Well, I guess I could ask Rocco..."

"JAS!"

He laughed again. "Kidding. When is it?"

I gave him the date. "Can you come?"

"I can totally come."

My mind went right into the gutter. I let out a little gasp.

"Brooklyn."

Even though he couldn't see me, I blushed. "What?"

"We have eleven months and twenty seven days. We can do this."

He was back in resolve mode. My resolve had crumbled irreparably.

"I'm weak," I admitted. "I want you. I'm a nymphomaniac."

"You are not. Believe me, I know once I get a taste that I'm not going to be able to stop," he said huskily.

The temperature in the room spiked. I fanned myself.

"I'll be strong for the both of us," he continued. "Let me know what color your dress is going to be, alright?"

I smiled. "Will do. Love you."

"Love you too, beautiful."

I hung up and hugged my pillow.

It was nice to have a Prince Charming.

-------------------------------------------------

"I got my prom dress," Kay announced at lunch a couple weeks later. I was busy stabbing at my half- frozen pears in a cup.

"Are you coming?" Kay asked. I had managed to grab a pear and had just stuffed it in my mouth.

I brought my hand up and chewed quickly.

"She's coming," Noah said with a smile. "With Jasper."

My eyes narrowed. I swallowed. "I don't know why I sit with Juniors," I complained. Kay leaned into me.

"Cause you love us."

I pointed my fork in her direction. "You, yes." I pointed at Noah. "NoNo...well, the jury's still out."

Kay beamed. I watched in disgust as she put a couple drops of chocolate milk on her french fry and nibbled on it.

"That right there is the best case for birth control ever," I declared. "I will never eat that."

Kay laughed. "I'll remind you of that in like fifteen years."

I rolled my eyes. I was fishing around for another pear when all of a sudden Kay let out a yelp.

"OH!"

I froze; Noah sprung out of his seat.

"What's wrong? Do we need to go to the hospital? Brooke get the damn car!"

All eyes were on us. Kay slumped in her seat.

"Sit down," she hissed. "I'm fine."

Noah glanced around. He gave an impish smile.

"G'day!" he called. He plopped back down in his seat and looked at her.

"Don't OH! if you're not in labor!" he complained.

She leaned forward. "I just wanted to tell you both that Baylee and Marcie finally agree on a name."

"Yeah?" Noah said.

Kay looked so proud; it was really sweet.

"Brody Thomas," she announced.

"Awww," I said softly. It was cute; it was boyish. They were using Uncle Bri's middle name.

"Does your dad know?" I asked. Kay shook her head and smiled.

"They told me first," she said happily. "I can stop calling him little dude now."

"I like it," Noah said with a smile. His eyes sparkled. "Even though I preferred little dude."

The three of us laughed.