- Text Size +
Chapter Forty Eight

"BWOOKE!!! UP HERE!!!!"

I scanned the people packed into the stands. It was impossible not to see Landon. He was clinging to the railing and looked like he was about to topple right over it. Dad wrapped his arms around his waist. I stood up and waved. My entire family waved back.

It all seemed so, well, odd. Even though I had played in front of hundreds of crowds, won a VMA, and been splashed all over tabloids, I was more nervous about getting through the graduation ceremony than anything else.

It all seemed so final. All of the teachers, all of the classes, all of the bullshit papers...it had all led up to this.

After doing a fell inhales and exhales to calm my nerves, I sat back down and did a head check in the bleachers. Everyone was there...

Everyone except Jasper.

His plane had been delayed by torrential rains. When I was getting ready, he had been texting me every few seconds. Unfortunately, the entire Senior class had to turn off our cells when we got to our seats. I cracked my knuckles.

He had to make it. I was going to be optimistic; otherwise, I was going to spazz in the ugly folding chair I was confined to.

I was seated fairly close to the front; it was the benefit of being a 'C.' As I admired the huge draperies showing off our school colors, our principal walked up on stage and began the introductions for everyone else that walked up behind him. A couple rows behind me, a couple guys snickered; a beach ball flew by my head.

The party had begun. The principal introduced our special guest speaker. I had a feeling that only a few of the kids sitting around me actually realized the guy was the Governor of Florida.

I'm sure I was also the only one that had to struggle not to cry. The speech made me tear up. The governor talked about hopes and dreams and how the world was like a blank book--it was up to us to write our story.

I couldn't have agreed more.

Once the governor was finished, he sat back down and the school administration stood up. The Superintendent of schools started to call out names. The 'A's' all stood up and filed towards the stage. I glanced up at the bleachers.

Still no Jasper.

The crowd, who was in a stupor during the speech, came alive as everyone walked across the stage. People started moving around, cameras started flashing, and the cheers almost made me think I was back at one of my concerts.

When one of the science teachers signaled the 'C's' to stand up, I found myself sandwiched between Shaun Cameron and Paul Case. They were both members of the basketball team. I was tall, but they were ginormous. As I stood inching my way towards the stage, I tried to look at the bleachers. All I saw was a shaggy head that kept bobbing like a drunk snake. Shaun's name was called and he headed up the stairs. I turned, but just then---

"Brooklyn Nichole Carter," the principal called out loudly.

I had no choice but to focus on the task at hand. I smiled and ascended the stage. I shook a half dozen hands and grabbed the empty diploma holder. All of us had to go to the cafeteria to get our actual diplomas after the ceremony.

As I stepped off the stage and returned to my seat, I finally had an opportunity to turn and look at the bleachers.

My heart melted. Jasper was there. He gave me a thumbs up.

I cheesily threw one back.

-------------------------------------------

"I promise you I got there before you walked," Jasper said. He looked at Kay. "Tell her."

She laughed. "I swear. He sat down when they were about three people from you. Didn't you hear him yell?"

I smiled. "No. You did?"

Jasper looked at me teasingly. "Of course. I did my best chimp noises."

I jabbed his side. He took my arm and playfully twisted it.

"We should party EVERY day!" Landon declared. He licked a glob of icing off his fork. "I wanna party

when I go to kiddy-garten!"

"It's kindergarten sweetheart," mom said. "And you have one whole year before you go to school."

Landon pouted. "But I'm a BIG boy. I's got a job to do."

Kay and I laughed. His face was stained from the food coloring of the cake roses and he had a glob of cheese sauce smeared on the front of his Disney t-shirt.

"Your job is to stay home with mommy and keep her company," dad said. "You've got to help with the twins."

"TWINNIES!" Landon said happily. He looked at Kay.

"Where's your baby?" he asked.

Everyone got quiet. Kay looked at Noah. NoNo twirled his fork around.

"He lives with his mommy and daddy," Kay said softly.

"But you're the mommy."

Crap. I was going to cry (again). Why did Landon have to be so...so...

Curious. And cute.

Kay smiled. "I carried him in my tummy, but it takes more than that to be a mommy."

Landon looked confused. He seemed to really have to think about that.

"Like putting band-aids on boo-boos?" he guessed. Kay smiled and nodded.

"Yup. Noah and I are still in school so we can't do all that stuff like your mommy can."

Landon nodded. "Being a mommy is a busy job."

Mom smiled and ruffled his hair.

"But it's worth it, kiddo."

She kissed his messy cheek. He made a priceless face.

"MOOOOO-OOOMMMMMMM!"

After Landon quieted down, everyone stood up and gave a speech. It was a total Brooke-fest. Jasper's speech was my favorite. It was ladened with inside jokes that only the two of us would understand. The look on dad's face was priceless when Jasper gave me a fake banana. After I explained about the whole Nate/Trevor 'chimps' thing, dad seemed less murderous. Shortly after, food was boxed up and we headed out into the night.

"I don't know what I'm going to do with myself now," I said with a laugh.

"Gee, I don't know," Kay said. "Do I sense a third album?"

I grinned. "Maybe. I've got to keep my guitarist employed."

Jasper laughed. Noah gave me a look.

"You could keep your brother employed too y'know. I need money for school!"

I laughed. "Give me some more songs and we'll talk turkey, turkey."

"Hey! Who are you calling a turkey?"

"If the NoNo fits..."

It was all good natured ribbing. Noah and I ended up chasing each other around the parking lot. It was so immature and so damn fun. I tried to coax Jasper into helping me. Noah took Kay's hand.

"Hey, she's ganging up on me! Help!" he whined.

Kay ran out onto the blacktop and dodged around a car as Jasper and I tried to formulate an attack.

Landon started cheering us on from the sidewalk. Peyton looked like she was dying to join in, but mom was holding her back. Her arm was just beginning to get back to normal.

It felt like things had gone full circle. So much had changed for all of us. Kay and Noah became parents and made the biggest sacrifice two people could make. Jasper and I had gone from a professional relationship to so much more.

It was all so different. And yet, running around the blacktop, it felt like the world was finally righting itself.

I was excited to start filling the blank book that was my future.

I had a feeling it was going to be an exciting story.