- Text Size +
Chapter Fifty -- Nine Months Later-- "Where are we going?"

"Nowhere."

"Then why am I wearing a blindfold?"

"I heard it's the new 'in' accessory this season."

I snorted. "I don't think it's for me."

I brought my hands to my face, but Jasper pulled them back down. He playfully pulled them behind my back.

"Keep walking."

I did as I was told. I smiled.

There was no doubt in my mind where the night was going to end. Where it was beginning...

That was the question.

I was eighteen years (and one day) old. You could have cut the sexual tension with a knife during my birthday party the night before. I was totally okay with going at it in a closet...or a car...or anywhere else. Jasper wouldn't hear of it.

His honor system had still been firmly in place.

"Are we there yet?" I asked for the hundredth time. Jas laughed.

"Almost. Take off your shoes."

"What?"

"You heard me."

I kicked off my flip-flops. Jasper nudged me forward.

The ground was soft. Not sand soft. More like grass soft.

"I'm not going to step in dog poop am I?" I asked. Jasper expelled a sigh

"No. Stop asking so many questions."

I huffed. After about ten more steps, Jasper stopped me. His hands played with the blindfold.

With a 'swish' it flew off. I looked around in amazement.

I had no clue where were we. What I did know was that wherever it was, it was beautiful. My feet were being tickled by sweet-smelling blades of green grass. There were a few palm trees. And right in the middle of it all was a large cabana decorated in white lights; its white drapes were pulled back. Inside, a bed covered in roses was surrounded by large poles holding lit candles.

It seemed like we were the only two people in the world.

"Where are we?" I asked again.

"This," Jasper said quietly. "Will someday be where I build our house."

I looked at him in surprise. "Our house."

He grinned. "Yup."

I stepped back and made my way around the cabana. There was nothing. Just tons of land.

"Are we trespassing?" I finally asked. He laughed.

"I bought the land a couple months ago. The house will have to come later. I need a few more paychecks," he teased.

I stopped a couple feet from him. "You bought all this land?" I asked increduously.

"If I eventually marry a superstar, we're going to need privacy," he said seriously.

I gawked. "You're insane."

Jas rocked on his heels. "Are you just figuring this out?"

I was stunned. I was standing where a house might eventually sit. Our house. I glanced into the cabana.

"It's beautiful," I whispered.

Jasper closed the space between us. He cupped the side of my face. My lips parted. "You're the beautiful one," he whispered back. He scooped me up in his arms. The way he kissed me told me my wait was finally over.

With his lips pressed hungrily to mine, everything but him and me ceased to matter. Once we were inside the cabana, I left his arms and sank into the mattress. The sweet scent of rose petals invaded my senses. Jasper's weight settled pleasantly on me as our lips reconnected. The nape of his neck was sweaty; for some reason that's what I remember most. That and my heart beating so hard I was afraid it might break.

There was no rush; there were no deadlines to meet. Our cellphones were locked in the car, which seemed like it was parked lightyears away. I devoured the sight of Jasper's bare chest; the flames from the candles casting enticing shadows over his well-defined stomach.

I had obsessed over this moment for well over a year; the thought had always been met with a certain anxiety. But now that it was here, there wasn't an ounce of nervousness or hesitation. I sat up and let Jasper take off my tank top. He held me close as he unhooked my bra. I rained a shower of kisses along his broad shoulder. His fingers caressed my back as he guided me back down.

"I love you, Brooklyn," he whispered as he shimmied out of his boxers. There was nothing but skin. Beautiful skin to skin. I got lost in his eyes.

"I love you too, Jas," I whispered back. Strands of hair fell lazily across his forehead. I tilted my head back as he showered kisses down my body.

There is a definite difference between making love and having sex. With Nate and Trev, it had been all about having sex. There was a high level of recklessness and spontaniety; the end result was only gratification. As Jasper and I made love, I realized that there was so much more than just pleasure from action. We were giving something to each other; something so much more.

It was like I was breaking my heart in half and giving it to Jasper, and visa versa. Our job was to cherish, nuture. In essense, we were heartbreakers...

Our two hearts were becoming one.

THE END