- Text Size +
Chapter Six

"Wow, this is cool."

"Well, anyone from around the area should be able to figure out where we're at by the picture."

Nate and I were standing outside the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. The building was gorgeous. Everything was so...green.

"Where should I hide it?" I asked. I bounced on the balls of my feet. Nate laughed as he rooted through his camera bag.

"Hide it wherever you want."

I looked around. I knew I didn't want to hide it inside because people would have to pay to even find it. Instead, I ran up the stairs on the left that wound up to the entrance.

"I'm going to reach down and put it in this bush," I explained.

Nate put a different lens on his camera.

"Let me get one of you standing there and then I'll do a closeup of your bush."

"A closeup of what?" I asked. My mind had immediately gone to the gutter. Kay would have been proud.

"Your bush that you put the pass in," Nate said with a wry smile.

I blushed. "Right! Right! Okay."

I posed on the stairs. Nate snapped a couple pictures. Then he came up beside me. I wiggled my arm through the bars and slid the pass into one of the bushes. He took a picture of my arm in the bush.

"Alright. Got it," he said. I looked up at him.

"Excellent I---ohhh."

I looked down. My arm wasn't coming out. I had leaned in all the way to my shoulders. It wasn't budging.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm stuck," I said. His eyes widened.

"Are you kidding?"

I tugged. "Do I look like I'm kidding?" I screeched.

He ran a hand through his hair. It stuck straight up in the air. I'll be damned if it didn't make him look hotter.

"Okay, well...don't panic."

I snorted. I was crouched down with a bar pressing into my shoulders with the sun beating down on me and he was telling me not to panic?

Right.

I heard him fumbling above me. A minute later he knelt down next to me. He wrapped his hands around my shoulder.

"I'm going to squeeze," he said. "It's going to hurt. When I do, I want you to lean back. We'll see if that works."

I was humiliated. The security guard in the building was probably busting a gut just watching me. Lord help me if any of the paparazzi were around.

"Okay," Nate said. His lips were uber close to my ear. I was momentarily distracted.

"One...two...three!"

His hands were strong. He wasn't kidding when he warned me that it would hurt. I was sure he was going to break my shoulders.

"LEAN BACK!" he yelled.

I knew I had forgotten to do something. I tossed every last bit of force I had into tossing myself backwards.

I landed backwards on the cement step. My arm came with me.

So did Nate. His bag smacked into my hip. His face smashed right into mine. The bag was annoying.

His face was not.

"Sor-" he started to say, but I didn't give him a chance. I cupped his face to stop its retreat.

And I kissed him.

I don't know what made me do it. I guess I figured if he complained I'd just declare temporary insanity.

But the way that he was kissing me back made me think that he wasn't going to complain. I dropped my hold on his face and ran my hands along his arms. I blessed the good Lord for creating black tank tops.

"A-hem."

Nate's lips left mine. We both looked up. A security guard was staring down at us in amusement.

"Is everything all right here?" the guard asked.

"Wonderful," Nate said. "Brooke?"

"Fantastic," I said breathlessly. I had the perfect view of his grin.

"I think you better take this elsewhere," the guard said.

Nate sat up. He grabbed my hand and we got to our feet. Nate gave the guy a salute.

"Will do. G'day."

Nate started to laugh even before we got to the car. He opened my door for me and leaned on it.

"You're trouble," he said lightly. I wrapped my hands over the door.

"Is that going to be a problem?" I asked. My heart was pounding. I really wanted to get to those lips again. He leaned towards me.

"Lucky for you, I'm a problem solver," he said. I smiled.

"So how are you going to solve my problem?" I asked. He reached out and ran his hand through my hair.

"I'd love to show you, but I don't solve problem in the car," he said. "It's tacky."

"What about a bus?" I asked.

"Or under the stage?" he teased. I grinned. His hand fell from my hair and we got in the car.

I felt like a little kid playing with a match. Nate was the match.

And I was close to setting myself on fire.

---------------------------------------

"Okay...it's posted. We'll see how long it takes someone to find it."

We were on my bus. Nate was sitting at the table with his laptop. I was sitting on the couch attempting to shift myself into a sexy position without looking too noticeable. I pulled down on my v-neck. I figured cleavage was a good addition to a sexy pose. I cracked my knuckles nervously. I stopped when he glanced my way.

"Mind if I join you?" he asked. I smiled.

"Not at all."

He got up and sat beside me. We both stared straight ahead. I felt awkward. It was a ridiculous thought, but all of a sudden I felt like I needed a bracelet that said WWKD - What would Kayleigh do?

"So about that problem," I said slowly. He turned to me.

"Oh, yeah. That problem."

I licked my lips. I saw his eyes drift down. I gave myself a point for tugging down the shirt. His arm drifted along the back of the couch.

In the blink of an eye, his lips were on mine again.

I used to wonder when I was little how mom and dad could kiss so much. I figured that once you did it once, there wasn't anything special with doing it again.

Boy, was I wrong. Every time Nate turned his head it was different. My head felt like it was full of bubbles like the ones I used to make when mom would fill our wading pool with soap and give us wands. I shivered as his tongue brushed against my lips.

I don't know how long we sat there just exploring each other's mouths. I do know that after awhile I was frustrated by the lack of proximity. I swung my leg over him and straddle his lap. His hands wrapped around the back of my legs.

That was better. Much better. He seemed to think so too. I pressed against him; his breathing increased. His lips fell to my neck and I let out a sigh.

I was just about ready to make another bold move when someone knocked on the bus door. I wasn't expecting that; I let out a little scream and immediately felt ridiculous.

"Uh...uh...who's there?" I called out.

"Keegan!"

I groaned. He was my VIP guy. I glanced down at Nate. He gave me a smile and a shrug. I got up, walked the short distance across the room and opened the door.

"What?"

Keegan smiled at me. He was in his early thirties. I was pretty sure dad hired him because he loved golf. Whenever they had a chance, they went out to the nearest green.

"Your dad wanted me to check on you periodically," he said sweetly. My eyes narrowed.

"He wanted you to spy on me?"

Keegan laughed. "Yeah. Are you behaving?"

He tried to peer around me, but I swung my hip out.

"Of course I am," I said. He drummed his fingers against the doorway.

"Well, VIP is in an hour and a half. Better get ready."

He turned and walked away whistling. I closed the door and turned around.

Nate was back at his laptop.

"Someone found the pass!" he said. He looked over at me.

Our moment was gone.

"I'm going to go...get ready," I said awkwardly. I pointed down the hall. Nate closed the lid of his laptop.

"I'm going to go...somewhere else," he said with a laugh. "You and water running isn't a good combination for me right now."

I blushed. "Why?"

He packed up the laptop and stood up. I was frozen in place. He walked right up to me. His eyes were smouldering.

"Because you're sixteen, you give the best kisses I've ever had, and you look way too good to me right now."

He kissed my forehead. My forehead!

"So you go take a shower." He walked towards the door.

"And I'm going to go take mine."