- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This doesn't really follw the original Pandora Hearts storyline-

October Blood

One:

From Me to You

You are a nuisance!

Those words echoed in his mind like someone had a megaphone up to his ear and screamed it. It often made him wonder about why he was born in the first place. Every day felt like a lie, and his lying was turning into a nasty disease. He couldn't fool himself any longer, nothing was going to change that man's opinion of him. If he knew that, why wouldn't he let that stick and do what he wants to do instead of chasing after a long lost dream? Chasing helped him find that he was chasing after nothing... But yet he still continues the race for something solid to hold unto. He wanted to feel the comfort of the hand that laid upon his own. He wanted to ease the worry that swirled in the his friend's golden irises, but he couldn't bring himself to say anything.

If he did, he would crumble.

The last thing he wanted was to cave in front of anyone. He didn't want to be the reason for anyone to worry and go out of their way for him. It didn't feel right, and it probably never will. He was tired of the maids doing everything for him or prepping him for 'life' as a Duke. As far as he was concerned, being a Duke would surely be the reason that he has no life. He didn't want to be held responsible for what happens to the people, he didn't want to be in political arguments with the rivaling families that have been trying to bring down the Bezarius family. He had no interest starting a war or being apart of one. But because of the calamity of him wondering off without a word, the household has been keeping him on a tight leash.

Even Uncle Oscar wouldn't cover for him anymore.

He felt like a prisoner in his own home. Hell, he wasn't even sure if he could call it a home. Every time he looked at the windows he always expected there to be iron bars just outside the glass. Sometimes he wondered what it would be like to be able to get out past the kingdom walls. Everything was so limited in the castle, and it was feeling like the same thing every day. It was fun to be able to escape outside every once and a while, the thrill of doing something he wasn't supposed to, was always addicting.

"Oz?"

The voice belonged to a worried Gilbert Nightray.

The younger boy had helped him through a lot. And he also turned into his partner in crime, whether or not he wanted to be a part of Oz's latest scheme. He was always so hesitant with doing something that would more than likely get him into trouble. It always amused Oz at how afraid he was of the maids and the cats that wander about the house freely. The voice registered in Oz's head after a couple moments of silence. He turned his head and grinned at Gil, masking the sadness he had expressed not even a few minutes ago.

"Come on! We have that party to go to... Right? Uncle Oscar said he was throwing me a birthday party tonight... It's probably going to be with a bunch of boring old people." He laughed a little bit as he removed himself from the velvet cushioned chair, pulling his hand away from Gil's. The younger boy made a soft noise at the action, but quieted down after following close behind Oz.

"I bet it will be fun- He's been working very hard on arranging it for you."

A half-hearted smile curled on his lips at Gil's words. He shrugged his shoulders in response to it, he did appreciate Uncle Oscar and everything he's done. There was no doubt about it.

"Are you sure it's okay for me to go?" Gil asked tentatively after another moment of silence.

That made Oz turn around with a pair of surprised emerald irises.

"Of course it'll be okay. Chances are, you're probably the only one I want there with me. You're my friend... And not just a family servant." He added the last part in a friendly tone of voice. He knew Gil was going to protest that he was merely a servant of the Bezarius family. He never gave himself enough credit. Oz made it a personal goal to lift up Gil's ego, even if it took him a long time. "As your master, I demand you to no longer question me about random invitations... By me." He added the last part as an after thought.

"O-Oh. Okay." Gilbert stuttered with a firm nod and a light blush coloring his cheeks. "I-I'll try."

"That was touching Oz."

It was Zai Bezarius.

The deep, masculine voice made Oz stop in his tracks. The voice was stuck in his head all day. And it didn't have anything kind to say. Grounding his teeth together, he tried to calm himself from the feeling of wanting to turn around and scream at the man who called himself a father. But at the same time, he wanted to run and give his dad a hug. He actually showed up to his birthday. He actually acknowledged his existence. As dramatic as that sounded, Oz was really questioning his father's love for him. Especially after the exchange of harsh words between them. Turning around stiffly, his emerald eyes stayed glued to the ground, afraid to look him in the eyes.

"I only came here to give you this in person. And wish you a happy birthday." He walked past Gilbert to reach Oz, who was standing his ground. He took his son's hand and lifted his palm upwards, dropping a rectangular, black velvet, box into it. Oz quickly grasped it before it could slip out of his hand. His eyes trained on the box with curiosity before looking up to his dad.

"Thanks..." He breathed, not sure what else to say.

"Take good care of it." Zai told him firmly before turning his back to his son and Gilbert. "Oh... And one more thing... You shouldn't be so lenient with the help. They live to serve you. That's all."

With that said, Zai Bezarius vanished.