- Text Size +

Today, is the happiest day of her life
I should be happy for her today
So tell me why are these tears in my eyes?
I know i should be happy for her
But i've lost everything
I've lost everything i've ever wanted today...

"And today in entertainment news, pop superstar Alaina Davis tied the knot with boyfriend, Micah Wallace in a private surprise ceremony earlier today. Davis just released her second studio album last month & plans to head out on tour next month. Congratulations to the both of you." I stopped listening at some point. I couldn't believe she was married. Just a year ago she & I were together. We were happy. I can't believe I was so stupid.

"Hey Carter, you see the news? Your girl is hitched! I didn't even know she was dating someone else." Could I punch him now?

"J, really. Not in the mood." I just wanted to crawl in bed, pull the covers over my head & never come out. For almost 5 years Alaina had been my entire world. One stupid mistake & it all began to unravel.

Laney & I met through mutual friends in the business in June of 2005 after a show. From the moment that I laid eyes on the girl I knew she just had to be mine. It was a whirlwind romance really. We started dating almost immediately. I was on tour with the guys & she was promoting her first single, but we saw each other as much as we possibly could. We made it a point to talk everyday, whether it be on the phone, through text, email or instant messages, no matter how tired we were. She was everything that my life had been missing up until that point.

I guess I had gotten lost in thought because J was no longer in my room. I guess he finally got the hint. I sprawled out along the couch & let out a huge sigh. My mind drifted back to that fateful night that changed out lives forever.

***

END OF MAY 2010

"Isn't Laney supposed to be getting back into town tonight, Nick?" AJ asked me as he waited on me to finish getting dressed. I had decided that we needed a night out. Honestly now I can't remember why.

"She called a while ago, said her flight was delayed in Dallas, she probably won't get in until tomorrow morning." I grabbed my jacket & we were out the door.

"Are you sure you don't wanna just stay in tonight? I mean, what would Laney think about you going out tonight?"

I gave him a look as we walked out to his car. "Seriously? I don't have to ask her damn permission to go out, J." I got in the passenger side and shut the door. He got in and we were on our way.

The night went on and I'll admit I did drink a little bit more than I should have. I don't even remember how I got home, I lost track of AJ about an hour after we arrived. I also don't remember the girls name that I woke up next to that next morning. What I do remember is the sound of Laney's crying when she walked in the bedroom that morning after taking a taxi from the airport since I forgot to pick her up.

I quickly jumped up out of bed, grabbing my boxers that were laying on the floor next to the bed & pushed the blond out of the bed. "You need to leave. Now."

"What? Why? I thought we were going to spend the day together, Nicky?" Nicky? Really... I didn't even know the bitches name.

"Number one, I don't know who the fuck you are. Number two, last night should NOT of happened. Now get the fuck out of my house." I left the room, to find Laney in the kitchen standing in front of the sink looking out the window. Her tears still flowing. "Laney... I'm sorry.."

She turned to look at me. Mascara cascading down her face. "You're sorry? Sorry for what, Nick? That you forgot to pick me up? That the reason for that is because you were in bed with some whore? That you got caught?"

I was dumbfounded. I knew nothing that I could say was going to make this okay. "You know I love you. It was a mistake I swear. This is the first time it's ever happened, I don't even know why it happened..."

"Shut it, Carter. It's the first and last time it's ever going to happen. I'm done. I can't believe after all these years together you just throw it away like that." I heard the front door shut, the bitch was gone. Now I just had to fix this. "Don't you know how much I loved you?"

"Loved?" I asked her. My heart was slowly breaking. I couldn't let her just leave me like that.

"How can I love someone that doesn't even think twice about sleeping with someone else? I can't trust you anymore, Nick." Tears had started to escape from my eyes.

"No." I walked up and pulled her close to me. She just stood there, her face buried in my chest; her arms hanging at her side. "I love you too much to let you go."

She pushed me away. "You should of thought about that last night."

"This can't be the end of us, Laney." I said quietly.

"Then how come it is? I can't look at you the same way anymore...Was she worth it? Was she worth losing me?"

"Laney, please." I practically begged. Okay, so I was on my knees by this point holding her hands, begging.

She shook her head. "I'm leaving. I'll send someone for my stuff." With that, she grabbed her purse, turned and walked toward the door. She turned & looked at me one more time before opening it and walking out. As soon as I heard it shut, I leaned up against the refrigerator & the sobs came. I had lost the best thing that had ever happened to me.

***

I pulled out my cell phone & opened up a new message.

Congrats on the wedding, Laney. I'm sure you looked beautiful.

Okay, so maybe it was totally dicky of me to send her a text on her wedding day, but at this point I really couldn't give a shit. What did I have to lose? I had already lost it all earlier that day when she said "I do" to this Micah guy - whoever the fuck he was. No one even knew she was dating & now all the sudden she was fucking married? I really hoped that deep down it was all just a big publicity stunt since she had just released her album & was planning to embark on a tour. I felt my phone vibrate. I opened it. It was her.

Nick? OMG I didn't want you to find out like that.

She didn't want me to find out like that? I mean, fuck the girl is more famous than I am at this point, did she really think I wouldn't hear about it through the damn grapevine? I pressed reply.

Well, I did. I wish you nothing but happiness.

It was semi-true. I wanted her to be happy, but I wanted that to be with me, not some random guy that I didn't even fucking know. Hell, she probably didn't even know him. Another text.

Thank you.

That was it? Thank you? Unbelievable. I went to reply when another text came through.

Carter, I can't talk now. But soon. I'll never be as happy as I was with you.

I had to of read that wrong. No... I read it correctly. What the fuck was that supposed to mean? I wanted to respond, but I figured that it was probably best to wait until I heard from her again. Unfortunately that meant that my mind was going to be reeling with ideas of what she could have possibly meant by that. Patience definitely wasn't my strong point.