- Text Size +

Nick entered the room & shut the door behind him. He came & sat down next to me on the bed. Already I felt the tears threatening my eyes. I closed them for a moment & sighed. "Lane, what's going on? You're starting to worry me." I opened my eyes back up & saw him looking into them. He took my hands in his.

"Nick, I need to tell you something."

He nodded. "Okay, go for it. I'm all ears."

I took a deep breath. Here we go. "I've been lying to you."

He let go of my hands. I knew this was going to be the end of me & him. I just knew it. "What do you mean? Lying about what?"

I couldn't hold in the tears any longer. One fell from my eye. I didn't bother to wipe it away. "It's possible that Gray really is your son."

He chuckled. "Laney, there is no way Grayson is really mine. You and I had already broken up when you got pregnant with him. Legally, he is my son, but biologically, no. Although I wish he were. I'd give anything for him to be my flesh & blood, Laney."

"When we broke up I was in the early stages of my pregnancy, I had no idea I was pregnant."

His eyes widened. "So....he really is mine? Why on earth would you ever try & pass him off as Micah's then? You should of just come & told me, Alaina."

This was it. "Because there's also the possibility that he's Micah's son."

He stood up & began pacing. He stopped & looked at me. Hurt was the only expression I could see on his face. Hurt & Confusion. "But that would mean..."

"I cheated on you with him." I said quietly. I closed my eyes. I couldn't bare to see the look on his face anymore.

"What?" he asked. I could feel his face only inches from mine. "Say that again?"

I opened my eyes, looking at him; tears streaming down my face. "When I was here visiting I cheated on you with him. I realize what a huge mistake it was, Nick."

"So...you come home & find me with someone else, you thought you could come back here, hook up with Micah & I would never find out what a lying little hypocrite you really are?" He was angry; not that I could really blame him. I had been lying to him for months. By this time I was sobbing.

"Nick, please. Please don't hate me. I need you too much right now, I love you. I shouldn't have done what I did, but it's already happened. Grayson needs you too. He needs his Daddy. Please..." Begging was never my strong point, but I thought I would give it a shot. I couldn't let him leave now. Not after everything that happened.

He stood there pacing again. He stopped & looked deep in thought. "I need to know if he's mine, Alaina."

I nodded. "Of course. We can get a test."

"If he's not mine, I'm still going to be there for him, but we're done."

"And if he is yours?"

"Well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

I nodded. At least there was still a slight glimmer of hope for us. Now I just prayed that those tests came back in my favor. "I'll make a doctor's appointment today."

A slight knock on the door interrupted out conversation; I was glad. Nick opened my bedroom door. "Hey Mrs. D."

"Sorry to intrude, but this little guy is due for a changing & all his things are in here." I stood up & took Gray from my mother's arms.

"Thanks, Momma. I'll take care of it." She just nodded & turned to go back downstairs. I laid Grayson down on the bed & began changing his diaper. I could feel Nick standing behind me.

"I pray to God that he's mine, Laney."

I didn't look at him, just continued with what I was doing. "Me too, Carter. I've prayed every night since I found out he existed." I got Grayson dressed & turned around. "Can you watch him for a minute while I go call the doctor? I want to get in as soon as possible."

He held out his arms. "Sure." I walked towards the door. "Lane?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you for telling me the truth."

I nodded. "I had no choice. It was eating me up inside. I'm sorry for what I did."

"We've both made mistakes, let's just hope this one has a happy ending, for Grayson's sake."

I smiled & continued down the stairs.