- Text Size +

LANEY

"Alaina, are you sure about all this?" My father asked me after I got off the phone with the doctor. My mother had no doubt filled him in on my latest drama.

"Daddy, Nick wants to know. He deserves to know whether or not Gray is his son."

He nodded his head & sighed. "And have you decided what you're going to do about the tour? Your publicist has been calling all morning," he asked.

It was my turn for the heavy sigh. "I honestly don't know. I haven't really given it much thought since all of this happened. In my heart I know that canceling the tour is the best option; at least for right now. I just hate to let all my fans down."

"Then you'll postpone it a few months. We'll worry about that later," I heard Nick say from the doorway behind me. I turned to look at him. He looked amazing standing there holding Grayson. Fatherhood would definitely suit him. I just hoped that the tests came back positive that he was Gray's biological father. It would certainly be the silver lining in this whole mess that my life had become recently. I smiled at him as I took Grayson from his arms. "What did the doctor say?"

"She can see us today in about an hour. It'll take about a week to get the results back."

"A week?! But I'll be back in LA. Can't they speed it up a bit? This is kind of an important issue."

I shook my head. "No, I asked her what the soonest would be she said a week." He sighed & sat down at the table across from my father.

"For what it's worth Nick, I see a lot of you in him," My mother told him.

"Really? You think so?"

"I do," she said. "He definitely has your nose and your eyes."

My father nodded his head in agreement with my mother. "I'd almost bet money that he was yours; that is if I were a betting man."

"Well, thank you, Mr. & Mrs. Davis. I really appreciate that." He looked at me. "I guess we better get going."

I nodded. "Yeah. I guess so. I'll go get him bundled up."

-NICK-

"Mr. & Mrs. Davis, I just want you to know that no matter what happens I'm going to be a father figure to that baby boy. I wouldn't dream of abandoning him."

"We know that, Nick. You're a good man. What about Alaina?" Mrs. Davis asked.

"To be honest, I don't know yet."

"She really does love you, Nick. It's always been you with her. I knew something was going on when she just up & announced that she was marrying Micah."

"I love Laney. She owns my heart, but she lied to me."

"You really can't judge her though, Nick. You were unfaithful to her as well."

I nodded. They were right; calling her a hypocrite was basically making me the biggest one on the planet.

"Look, we're not asking you to marry her, son. We're just asking that maybe you try & make things work. Take things slow. You owe it to that child." Mr. Davis had a point.

"I guess we'll just see what happens with the tests. Either way I have a lot to take into consideration."

"We're ready, Carter." Laney said. She really was beautiful; standing there bundled up, holding a giant blue blanket that quite possibly held my entire future. Could I see myself living the family life with Laney? Of course, but how would I feel after the results came in? What if I wasn't the father? I just prayed that I didn't have a change of heart if they didn't come back the way I wanted them to. Only time would tell.


LANEY

"Ok, Alaina & Nick, we should have the results in 5-7 days. I will give you a call the moment they're in." Dr. Wischer explained.

"And you're sure that's the soonest we can find out?" I knew Nick was upset that he'd be across the country when we'd have our answer.

"I'm going to rush them as much as I can. Nick, I assure you that you're case is a top priority." She told him. I'm sure it didn't satisfy him in the least, but he was going to have to deal with it. I was just as anxious for the results. If it came back that Nick was the father, then my divorce from Micah would be a hell of a lot easier. I just want to move on with my life.

"Thank you, Dr. Wischer. We'll be waiting for your call." With that, I began to collect our things & I bundled Grayson into his car seat.

***

"You're quiet." I said to Nick as we drove back to my parents house.

"I've got a lot on my mind, Lane."

"And you think I don't?"

"I still can't believe this is all happening."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner."

He quickly glanced at me before turning his eyes back to the road. "Well, I guess it's a good thing I found out. The sooner we find out, the sooner Micah is out of our lives for good. I just wish I was going to be there when she calls."

"Carter, I'll call you the second I'm off the phone with her. I promise."

He nodded. "I have to admit I'm a little afraid of how I'm going to feel if he's not mine."

I sighed. "Yeah, I'm a little afraid of that too, but we'll cross that bridge when and if we get there."

"I don't wanna leave the two of you in a couple days. Maybe I'll just cancel."

"Nick, it's your job, & if anyone is going to understand it, it's me. I am in the same line of work, ya know."

He chuckled. "True. To me you're just a Mommy now. How are you going to handle all this press?"

"I'll deal with it. Renee set up some radio interviews for next week, so my fans will know I'm at least still alive."

"That's probably a good idea." I heard Grayson begin whimpering in the back seat. "Good thing we're almost back to your parents. Someone must be hungry."

I smiled. "Yeah, he is due a feed." We pulled into the drive & Nick quickly got out of the car, opening the back door & unbuckling Grayson from his seat.

"I've got him, you go get his bottle ready. We'll be there in a minute." I smiled, and made my way inside.

***