- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Enjoy!

Chapter 17

(Nick's Point of View)

Shortly after Laney's interview with the morning radio show was over, I told her I was going to run to the store to pick up a few things & I also had to make some phone calls. I had decided to go through with the break from the Backstreet Boys. At first, when I'd called & discussed it with them they were angry, but I explained everything that was going on & eventually I won the argument. There was no way I was letting someone I didn't know take care of my child on Alaina's tour. There was also no way I was going to miss months of his life while he was gone. If you'd asked me a year ago what it would be like to be a father I probably would've laughed and told you it was never going to happen. Yet here I was. Daddy to one of the most precious baby boys in the entire world. Okay, so maybe I was a little biased. This crazy event had also brought me back to the love of my life, Laney. I'd wanted nothing more than to have her back & I had never been happier. Hence the reason I'm at this store right now, looking at rings. I know her divorce won't be finalized for a couple of months & I know that I have some unfinished business to take care of with Carly in Los Angeles, but I want nothing more than to ask Laney to be my wife & I plan to do that tonight. I just hope she'll say yes.

***

I walked through the front door of Laney's parents home carrying my bags from the store. I was quickly greeted by her mother who took the bags of diapers & baby supplies from my arms. "Did you get it?" She asked excitedly.

I smiled and nodded. "Where is she?"

"Lying down with the baby. Can I see it?"

I reached in my pocket pulling out a tiny ring box & handing it to her mother. She opened it up and her eyes widened. "Oh Nick, this is absolutely gorgeous. She is going to love it."

I took the box back and put it back into my pocket. I didn't want to chance Laney finding it before I was ready. "You think so? I have to admit I'm a little nervous that she's going to say no."

"Nick, she loves you very much. Just earlier we actually were talking about how we're amazed at how great you've been through all of the stuff with Micah & now the baby. You've become a wonderful young man and I know I can't wait to officially welcome you to the family."

I couldn't help but smile. "Is Mr. Davis home? I really feel like I need to have a talk with him before I ask for Laney's hand, ya know? I need his blessing. I've not always been his favorite person."

"He's in his office. I think that's a wise decision, Nick." She smiled as I took off towards his office. I knocked gently on the door.

"Who is it?" Mr. Davis said.

"It's Nick."

"Come on in, son. It's open."

I took a deep breath & opened the door. "Mr. Davis, I need to ask you a question." I spoke as I took a seat in the chair across from his desk.

"Shoot, son."

"I would like to ask for Laney's hand in marriage, but I would really love your blessing first." The words slipped out of my mouth as if it were meant to happen. It was so much easier than I had imagined it would be.

He took his reading glasses off and sat them on his desk, leaning forward a bit, resting is elbows on the top of the desk. "Nick, I think you're a very noble man for wanting to step up & do the right thing by my daughter & grandson. I think you're going to make a great addition to this family, but if you hurt them it's going to be me you're dealing with. You understand?"

I nodded my head. "Yes, sir. I would never dream of doing anything to screw this up. I love Laney & Grayson with all of my heart. They are my world now & nothing is ever going to change that."

"Good. I'm glad to hear that." He stood from his desk & extended his hand to me. I stood up and took it. "Welcome to the family, son." We shook hands.

"Thank you, sir." He sat back down, as did I.

"Now, when are you planning on asking Alaina?"

"Tonight. I'm planning to take her out and ask her tonight. Which reminds me, do you think you & Mrs. Davis can keep Grayson for a few hours tonight?"

He nodded. "Of course. We'd be happy to."

"Thank you. I guess I better go get things ready."

"Make it perfect, Nick. This one is going to last her the rest of her life." I knew he meant the proposal. I intended to make it a night she'd never forget. I intended to make it one of the best nights of her entire life.

***

I had everything I needed for my special evening with Laney packed in the car before she even woke up from her nap. Grayson actually woke up an hour before she had, so I'd gone up & gotten him from his crib. We were now sitting out on the balcony, watching as a early spring shower began to fall from the sky. "Alright, Little Man, there's something I need to talk to you about." I said, holding him up in front of me. His big blue eyes staring intently, as if he understood exactly what I was saying. "Daddy is going to ask Mommy a very important question tonight and I need to get your okay before I ask." I know it sounds crazy, but it looked like he slightly nodded. I smiled before continuing. "I'm going to ask Mommy to be with me for the rest of my life tonight, it's something I should have done a long time ago, but Daddy hasn't always been so smart." Grayson giggled. I swear this kid knew what I saying, word for word. I could help but chuckle a bit myself. "So is it okay with you if I ask Mommy to marry me?" A smile grew on his face. At that moment I knew I was doing the right thing. This was where I belonged; right here with my beautiful baby boy that Laney had given me & with her. She truly was my soulmate & I knew that. Even though I always swore I didn't believe in that sort of thing.

"Hey. What are you guys doing out here?" I heard Laney say from the french doors behind me. She walked over and gave me a kiss.

"Gray & I were just having a little man to man conversation. Weren't we, buddy?" I tickled his belly & he giggled.

"Oh, is that so?" She smiled taking a seat in the chair next to me, propping her feet up on the railing of the balcony. "You could've woke me when he got up." She leaned over putting her head on my shoulder.

"You needed your rest, I've made some plans for us tonight."

"Oh yeah? And just what might those plans be?"

"You'll just have to wait and see, love. Your parents are going to watch Gray."

"Oooh, date night?" She asked.

I nodded. "Yup, date night."

"I guess I better go start getting ready then." With that she gave me another quick kiss & headed back inside.

"You think Mommy is going to say yes, Little Man?" I asked Grayson. He smiled. That was enough of a confirmation for me. Tonight was going to be great.

***

Chapter End Notes:

Follow Me: @MimiMarie84