- Text Size +

Chapter 18

"Okay, Momma, I'll have my cell phone on if you need to get in touch with me for any reason, okay?" I told my mother. I was excited about 'date night' with Nick, but I still got nervous leaving Grayson for extended periods of time.

She smiled & guided me to the front door. "Alaina, I can handle my grandson just fine. Now go, enjoy yourself. You & Nick need this time together."

I nodded. "Thank you, Momma. I love you."

She leaned in and gave me a hug. "I love you too, now go. Grayson will be fine."

I smiled & turned to walk out the front door. Nick was still upstairs with Grayson, but had told me to go ahead & wait in the car. I had to admit I was slightly nervous. I hadn't been on a date in a really long time and even though this was far from being my first date with Nick, it kind of felt like one.

I headed down to the car & took a seat in the passenger side. I took my spare set of keys out of my purse & put them in the ignition so that I could listent to the radio. Suddenly, I wished that I hadn't.

"This is your hourly VH1 Music News update. Reports are now surfacing that not only did Backstreet Boys heartthrob Nick Carter father the child of pop singer, Alaina Davis, but a Los Angeles waitress, whose name has not been released, is now claiming that she is expecting his child in just a few months. We've not been able to reach Mr. Carter for comment, but we will be sure to keep you up to date on this media nightmare."

I quickly turned the radio off & tried to contain my tears. I knew that the 'Los Angeles waitress' was Carly, & I also knew that there was a very real possibility that her claims were true. I managed to compose myself when I saw Nick walking out the front door, waving goodbye to Grayson, who was in my mother's arms. What would I do if it were true?

"Everything okay?" Nick asked me as he got into the driver seat. I just nodded & looked out the window.

"I'm just nervous leaving Grayson."

He smiled. "Lane, he's with your folks, he'll be fine. It's not like we're going to be gone forever. It's just a few hours."

I nodded. "You're right. Now where are you taking me on this adventure tonight?"

"You'll see, it's a surprise."

***

(Nick's Point of View)

We drove for what seemed like forever until we reached the park. Not just any park, it was the park in which I first realized just how much I loved Laney. It was only about an hour away from her parents home & Laney had brought me here the first time we came to her home so I could meet her parents. She had told me this was one of her favorite places in the world to visit. She told me that she would often come out there to write because it gave her such inspiration. It was at this park that I first told her I loved her; I felt it was only appropriate. "The park?" She asked.

I smiled. "I couldn't think of a better place for tonight."

She gave me a look. "What's so special about tonight? It's not an anniversary or anything."

"You'll see, Laney." I parked the car. "Come on." We got out of the car & I went around to the trunk. I had packed a picnic, so to speak. The ground was just slightly damp from the rain showers earlier, but I wasn't going to let that put a damper on what was about to happen. We hiked for about 15 or 20 minutes before we reached the exact spot where I'd told her I loved her. I knew she remembered because as soon as we stopped she looked at me with tears in her eyes.

"Why did you bring me here?"

"I made us a late night picnic. Here, help me with this blanket." She didn't question me, just came over to help me with the blanket I'd pack. We spread it out across the ground & I sat the basket down on top of it. "Come here." I motioned for her & she approached me. I wrapped my arms around her. "Are you sure you're okay?" She nodded against my chest. I pulled back & looked into her eyes. "Have a seat...."

She sat on the blanket & I sat down next to her. "Thank you for doing this tonight, Nick. It was really sweet of you."

This was it, the moment of truth. I had been going over my speech all day long in my head. I just wanted to make sure I told her how I felt & how much I loved her & our son. How much I wanted to be right here for the rest of my life. "I'd do anything for you, Laney, you know that." She smiled & nodded. The moonlight casting a glow across her face. "Laney, for the past year I've been beating myself up over everything that's happened between us. I spent countless nights trying to figure out a way to get you back in my life, but never in my life did I think it would actually happen. Not only did I get you back, but I gained so much more because you gave me the wonderful, amazing gift of my baby boy." I paused & took a shaky breath. "I've never really been the guy that falls in love, but I fell in love with you the moment I met you. I just want you to know that this is where I want to be for the rest of my days, Laney. I love you & our son so much & I can't imagine myself with anyone else, but the two of you." I sat up on my knees in front of her, reaching in my pocket & pulling out the ring I'd purchased hours earlier. "Alaina Marie Davis, I want to spend the rest of my life making you happy. Will you do me the honor of being my wife?"

I could see her eyes grow wider as she looked from my eyes to the ring I was clutching between my thumb & index finger. She opened her mouth a few times, but it was as if she could find the words to say. I saw her blink & tears escaped her eyes. "Nick, I want so badly to say yes to you right now. You have no idea how much I want to say yes, but..." I sat back on my bottom, clutching the ring tightly in my hand. She was turning me down. I had screwed up again, big surprise. "Nick, I have to ask you something before I give you an answer." I sighed & nodded. "Is Carly pregnant with your child?"

"What?!" I exclaimed. "What the hell makes you think that?"

"It's all over the radio, Nick. She's claiming to be with child....your child." I explained.

I sighed. I guess it was certainly possible, but I'd heard nothing about it. "Laney, I want to say that she's not, but I honestly don't know. I haven't talked to her in months. Regardless of whether she is or not, it doesn't change the way I feel about you. You are where I want to be."

I could see her nodding. "I want to believe that, Nick. I really do."

"Laney, I'm asking you to be my wife. I think that proves to you how serious I am about you & Grayson."

"And what if Carly is having your child?"

"It's not going to ever change the way I feel about you & Gray. I promise you that. Just please, say yes."

"I'm sorry, Nick. I can't. Not until I know for sure."

"Fine," I said, a little more angry that I had meant to. "I'll fly out to LA in the morning & find out what the hell is going on. Even now that lying little bitch is screwing up my life."

"Nick, I'm sorry. Can we please go home now?"

"Yeah, whatever." I said. We stood up & I grabbed our stuff & started walking back towards the car. I had never been so humiliated & angry in my life. Surely Carly wasn't pregnant with my child, she would've let me know by now. Hell, now that I think about it she told me she wasn't even able to have children. I was going to get to the bottom of this, and soon. My future depended on it.

***

We didn't speak the entire ride home. We pulled into the driveway & silently made our way inside. Her mother was waiting up in the living room, no doubt ready to congratulate us, but I suppose she noticed the looks on our faces. Laney didn't even say anything to her mother, just went straight upstairs. "What happened?" Her mother asked.

"She said no."

Her mother looked shocked. "She what?"

"She said she couldn't marry me."

"Why on earth not?"

"Apparently, my ex is spreading some pretty vicious rumors to radio stations."

"And Laney heard?"

I nodded. "My ex is saying she's pregnant with my child."

"Oh my word. Is it true?"

I shook my head. "I really don't think so."

"Well, I have faith in you & I know that you'll get this sorted out."

"Thanks, Mrs. Davis. I'm going to go pack & catch the first flight out to LA to try and fix this."

"Everything will be fine, Nick. Just give her some time. She's been through a lot."

I nodded & headed upstairs to pack my bags.

***

Chapter End Notes:

Follow me: @MimiMarie84