- Text Size +

A month passed & I still had yet to hear anything from Laney. So many times I had picked up my cell to text her, but each time I had decided against it. The last thing I wanted was to cause problems for her; even if I sometimes wished I could just waltz up to her & take her in my arms, right in front of the smug bastard that managed to drag her down the aisle. I did some digging on this Micah guy. Apparently he is just an old acquaintance of hers from before she made it big. Insert eye roll here. If that doesn't say gold digger, than I don't know what does. Who says that gold diggers are always of the female persuasion? He didn't love her, he just loved her money. I hope to God she was at least smart enough to sign a pre-nup because when I win back her heart and she leaves him, I would hate to see him get half of everything she's accomplished.

-Knock, Knock-

I got up & made my way over to my hotel room door. I honestly had lost track of what city we were in that night. My mind hasn't completely been there this past month. I opened the door to find AJ standing there. "What's up, J? This isn't the best time."

"I just thought i'd warn you."

"Warn me about what?"

"Laney is here. Turns out our tour schedules crossed. She's staying in this hotel," he told me. I couldn't believe it. If I believed in fate I would have sworn it had stepped in.

"What?! What room? I have to see her..." He cut me off.

"Her husband is with her."

And my heart sank. Her husband. I know I didn't know the guy, but I hated him. "Oh."

"Well, I just wanted to let you know. Didn't want you to just accidentally run into her or anything." With that he left me to my thoughts. I shut the door & collapsed onto my bed. She was there. I knew I had to see her. I grabbed my phone and opened a new message.

I hear you're staying at my hotel. Can we meet?

So it was kind of forward, I didn't really care at that point. I wanted to see her and I was used to getting what I wanted.

Not now. Soon.

There she goes again with that "soon" bullshit. I hit reply.

That's what you said the last time. Now is as good a time as any. Come to my room in 20 minutes. Room 304.

Ok, I extended the invite. Now I could just pray she'd accept. Fifteen minutes passed and no reply. I was beginning to take that as my answer when there was a knock at my door. I jumped up & pulled the door open. There she was, as beautiful as the last time I'd seen her, but something was different.

"Laney." She didn't say a word, just threw her arms around me and began to cry. I didn't really know what to say at that moment; I was really terrible at saying the right thing. I just held her close to me. "Laney, are you okay? Talk to me."

She pulled back from me. I shut the door as she went to sit on the couch. She wiped her eyes.

"What's wrong?" I sat down on the coffee table so I was facing her. "You can tell me."

She took a deep breath. "Well, I guess I'll start from the beginning. After you and I broke up I was absolutely heartbroken. Another relationship was the last thing on my mind. Part of me just wanted to call you & come back home, but I knew I couldn't do that. I thought about you everyday, but when I didn't hear anything from you I made myself move on. I ran into Micah when I went back home to visit my parents & we started talking. Now here it is not even a year later & we're married. I really don't even know why. I love Micah, I do, but I'm not in love with him. My heart has and always will belong to you.  I just feel like we didn't get the closure we should have."

Was I hearing her correctly? Was I dreaming? It couldn't be this easy. "Laney, I never stopped loving you. I wanted to pick up the phone and call you every day, but I couldn't. I hurt you. I still hate myself for that day." Her phone vibrated interrupting me. She looked at it.

"It's him. I should go," she started to get up. I stood up as well.

"Laney, please... We could still make this work. We were so amazing together. I still love you so much..." I said. I had to try.

She smiled. "We were amazing, but it's in the past now. I'm married." She gave me a hug. "I have to go." She started towards the door. She turned and gave me a smile. With that she was gone again.

She still loved me. That was at least a good sign. Maybe, just maybe I could win her back. It wasn't so much the task of winning her back, I still owned her heart, I just had to get her to leave him. That was going to be the hard part.

Come to our show tonight, I'll leave a pass at the front desk for you.

I'll try.

Well, it was better than a no. Tonight - tonight would be the night I won her back, or at least that's what I was hoping for. My phone vibrated again.

It was so amazing to see you, if even for a minute.

Likewise. Tonight. :)

I closed my phone & laid back on my bed. I must have dozed off because next thing I knew I had Howie banging on my door telling me to get my ass ready. It was almost show time - in more ways that one.