- Text Size +

Laney's POV - January 2011

Despite everything in my power my management team decided it would be best if I stayed out in LA for the remainder of my pregnancy. Here I was nearly 9 months along & they had decided to set up a stint of radio interviews & talk show appearances to hype up the second leg of my tour that had been announced. Sure it wouldn't be starting up until May, but did they care? No. Micah & I had been growing even more distant the past couple of months since the first leg of my tour ended. He wanted me to come home to Raleigh & we had gotten into a huge argument when I told him that my career was requiring me to be in LA. I was sitting in a studio at a radio station in downtown, fielding the same questions from the radio personalities. I mean, seriously why should I have to answer the same damn questions over & over & over again? I never understood that.

"So Laney, we've talked tour, now lets talk about this baby...Are you looking forward to his arrival next month?" I had found out that the little bambino was a boy. I had cried. Not because I was having a baby boy, but because I really wanted that little blond haired, blue eyed baby boy that was a spitting image of his father.... However, that little fantasy would be only that. Micah was brown haired, green eyed.

"I am so excited to meet him, you have no idea." I tried to act as happy as possible. I wanted this baby, don't get me wrong. The baby made me happy, his father did not.

"Do you & your husband have names picked out?"

I smiled. "We do, but you all will find out once he arrives." Okay, so I lied. I had a name picked out, but Micah certainly had no say in it. And before you think I'm some bitch who has to control every little aspect of the pregnancy, I wanted him to be involved...He chooses not to be. Tell me again why I'm married to him?

"Gotta love surprises. Well, we wish you all the best & look forward to hearing more details about the upcoming tour & new album later this year."

And with that, I was back in the limo heading to the hotel. I felt my phone vibrating in my purse. I had a text message. It was Alex

Heard you're a resident of LA for a while, let's hang out. Going out for my birthday 2night, interested??

I smiled. I was almost 9 months preggo & he wanted me to go out clubbing.

I don't wanna crash your party. Have fun.

Don't be crazy - I insist. You're clearly the hottest preggo chick I know.

I seriously laughed out loud at that. How could I say no?

Ok. I'll meet you at your house, that cool?

Yup. Absolutely. See you 2night.

I closed my phone & put it back in my purse. Pregnant or not, I needed a fun night out. Recently it had been nothing but work... I needed a break.

***

Nick's POV

"Yo, J, what time we meeting?" We were going out that night to celebrate my man's birthday. I intended to have a great time. The past few months had been shitty as hell. I was dating Carly now, we had become pretty serious, but my life was still missing something. Who the fuck was I kidding? I missed Laney. I didn't love Carly, I was just using her to fill the space next to me in bed. Does that make me an asshole? Yeah, you're right, it probably does. I was flying solo tonight. Carly was in Orlando visiting friends & for tonight I was single. I was sure as hell going to enjoy myself.

"Meet at the club at 9." He told me.

"Alright. I will see you there, man. Later." I hung up & looked at the clock. I had about an hour before I had to leave, so I headed down to my studio to work on some songs I'd been writing. Of course they all seemed to have the same theme - Laney.

I left my place at about 8:30 and arrived at the club slightly before 9. I decided to go on inside & get the party started. What I saw when I walked in though was completely unexpected. What the hell was she doing there?

***
Laney's POV

I felt absolutely ridiculous sitting in that club. I had never felt so unattractive in my life. All of these girls in there scantily clad outfits & there I was in a pair of jeans & a black maternity top. I grabbed my purse with every intention of just going ahead & leaving when I saw him walk in - alone. I knew he had been dating that Carly chick, so where was she tonight? I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw him staring directly at me. I really just wanted to find a place to hide. I did not need this tonight. He started to make his way towards me & I quickly darted off to the one place I knew he couldn't follow - the ladies room.

I leaned against the wall in the bathroom & squeezed my eyes shut, trying to contain the tears that were welling up. Why did this have to happen tonight? I did not need this on top of everything else that was happening in my life. That's when I heard him yelling from the other side of the door. "Laney? Can we talk, please?"

I sighed. There was no controlling the tears now. They cascaded down my cheeks. I looked at myself in the mirror. "Not now, Carter." I yelled back.. How did my life come to this?