- Text Size +

"Nick, what the hell are you doing?" I heard Alex's fiance from the other side of the door. Great, this was just what I needed at the moment. Leave it to Nick to cause a damn scene. Still I listened as best I could. It was difficult though because of the loud music blaring in the club.

"Ro, I need to talk to Laney. She's in the bathroom & won't come out to talk to me." I heard him say. He was practically whining. It was kind of pathetic.

"Okay, well banging on the door screaming at her is definitely not going to help. Let me go to talk to her, you talk to Alex." I guess he took her advice because the next thing I knew the bathroom door was opening & she was walking in. "Hey Lane, you okay?"

Alex & Rochelle hadn't been dating when I was still around, but I had known her for a couple of years. She had done my makeup for several appearances. I kind of felt like I was responsible for her & Alex's relationship. I looked into the mirror & saw her standing behind me. I wiped my eyes & turned around. I shook my head. "I'm honestly not. I guess I should've known that he was going to be here." I sighed. "I just miss him so much & seeing him, knowing that we will never be together again hurts like nothing I've ever felt in my life."

"Who's to say you'll never be together again?"

"Ro, I'm married & incase you haven't noticed I'm about to pop." I said gesturing toward my extremely swollen belly.

She smiled, putting a hand on my stomach. "People get divorced everyday, Lane. I'm not saying that I believe in divorce, but if you're honestly not happy you shouldn't have to live that way for the rest of your life. Is Micah even the least bit concerned that you could go into labor at any time now & he's not here?"

"Honestly?"

"Yes, honestly."

I looked down at the wedding band on my hand. The tears were creeping up again. "No. He's not. I asked him when he planned on flying out here to be with me & he just said he didn't know. I honestly don't feel like he even wants this baby....I didn't ask for this, but I made my bed, so I'm ready to accept the responsibility of my actions."

She gave me a hug. "Honey, I would hate to be in your position. I'm not telling you what to do, but there is a man out there who, despite being a complete idiot sometimes, would love you no matter what. You two need each other."

She was right. I loved this baby & I intended to give him the best life I possibly could. "Aren't you forgetting something? Nick's not so single himself."

She started laughing. "Carly?" I nodded. "Lane, the second you told him you wanted to work things out he'd kick her to the curb. You probably wouldn't be able to get the whole sentence out before he did it."

I smiled. "You're probably right. I guess I have some big decisions to make." I looked down at my belly. "And not a whole lot of time to do it in."

She nodded. "I'm here if you just need someone to talk to.

"I appreciate that." I gave her another hug. "I guess I need to talk to Carter."

"Well, I'll be around if you need me."

"Thank you, but I'll be okay. You go enjoy yourself."

After my chat with Rochelle in the ladies room I began to search the club for Carter. It didn't take me long to find him. He was sitting at a back corner booth alone, texting on his phone. He looked absolutely bored to death. No doubt it was my fault his night was ruined. I slid into the seat across from him. "Hey you." He looked up & his eyes widened. He slipped his phone into his pocket.

"Am I dreaming?"

I laughed. "No, I'm here. I'm sorry about earlier. I have a lot going on in my head right now."

He nodded. "I can understand that."

He took my hands in his. Just that small gesture sent chills through my body. "I have some pretty big decisions to make soon."

"Is that so?"

"Yeah. I'm not happy. I don't know who I was trying to convince, you or me."

"I knew you were lying, but then you wrote that song, and..."

"I don't know what the future holds, Carter." I interrupted him. "But I'm going back to Raleigh to figure it out."

"Whatever you think is best, Laney."

"Why are you so understanding?"

"Laney, I love you. You owe it to yourself & to that baby to think everything through. I'm always going to be here for you, even if you decide that what's best is to stay in Raleigh."

I smiled. "Thank you, Carter."

"Anytime, Laney. Anytime."

"I think I'm going to head out to the hotel. I'm just not in the mood to party."

"Let me give you a ride, I want to make sure you get there safely."

How on earth could I say no to that? "Okay. Let just go tell Alex that we're leaving."

We went & found Alex & Rochelle dancing & told them goodbye. The we were on our way. I should have expected the paparazzi to be lining the streets, but as soon as we walked out the doors the camera flashes started. This was definitely not what I needed right now. I'm sure tomorrow the rumors would fly.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter to find out when I update! :) www.twitter.com/JoMoGal84

 

And as always, I thrive on feedback! Thanks all!!!