- Text Size +
Brian


Brian paced back and forth outside the bathroom door. “How much longer?” Brian shouted through the door to the other side where Laney sat waiting for the results of the first pregnancy test. Brian couldn't believe it had only been four months since their anniversary dinner when Laney announced that she was late. Unsure what she meant at first he questioned, “Late for what?”

“No, not that kind of late.” She walked over to him sitting in his lap. “My monthly visitor has not reared his ugly head.”

“Oh?”

Laney assumed her best teacher voice and looked him straight in his eyes, “Yes Mr. Littrell, when a woman misses her period it is a good indication that she could be pregnant.” A wide smile broke out on her face and he knew his own face was mirroring the smile, pulling her closer he pressed his lips firmly to hers.

“Have you done a test yet?” He asked, excited now that this could be happening so soon.

Laney grabbed hold of Brian's hand and pulled him up from his chair. “I need to go buy one, come with?” He nodded and soon they were standing at the end of the feminine needs aisle where the condoms, a variety of lubricating jellies and pregnancy tests were located.

Brian stood awkwardly as far away from the section as he could. “Why is it taking so long to decide on a test?” He asked after Laney put back a box of tests she had just been staring at for the last five minutes.

“I've never bought one before I want to make sure I get the right kind,” She turned to him, “do you have experience buying these?” she smirked at him. “Perhaps you can be of some assistance in the decision.”

With quick movements he stepped forward and grabbed the first box off the shelf and shoved it in Laney's hands. “Get this one, what does it matter?” He watched as Laney looked at the box and started to laugh hysterically.

“This one won't work?” She laughed.

“Why not, is it harder to pee on?” His hands were shoved in his pockets now and he had his shoulders hunched up trying desperately to hide himself from the attention Laney was bringing with her laughter.

“For starters, this is an ovulation test.” She looped her arm through Brian's and pulled him closer kissing his cheek. “You are cute when you are embarrassed. Why don't you go find some ice cream or something sweet to nibble on tonight and I will finish this and find you.” Brian all too happy to be released from standing there waiting.

He wanted to support Laney, but there was something about that section that made him feel uncomfortable. He made his way to the freezers and stared at the massive selection of ice cream. “Now this I can understand taking a lot of time to ponder to make sure you get the right one.” He said aloud to himself.

It wasn't long before they met back at the registers, Laney holding a box of tests, the first box she had in her hands Brian noticed and Brian holding a quart of “Chunky Monkey”.

They read the instructions carefully, it seemed simple enough to Brian. Laney would pee on the stick, three to five minutes later it would be confirmed that she was pregnant. If it were so easy, why was it seemingly taking so long?

Brian threw himself down on the bed and lay staring at the ceiling hands folded on his stomach waiting. At least waiting this way would not wear a whole in the carpet he thought. He closed his eyes for only a second when he heard the bathroom door open. Sitting up, it didn't take long for him to know the result from the look on Laney's face.

“It's a no then?” He stood and enveloped Laney in his arms. “Are you okay?” He asked, his face full of concern.

She punched him in response. “I'm only a couple of days late, maybe it's too soon.” Brian felt the warmth of her lips as she kissed him passionately. She walked him backwards towards the bed. “Nothing like practicing for next time.” She playfully shoved him onto the bed and grinned wickedly at him.

“After all, practice makes perfect.” he pulled Laney down on to the bed to join him.