- Text Size +

 Brian wasn’t sure what he could do for Laney as the weeks passed.  Usuallly she was the strong one, the one who would tell him everything would be alright, but with the recent trip to the doctor she sunk into a depression.   He worried about leaving her alone when he went out of town to promote the Backstreet Boy’s latest album.   He was determined to help her mood before he needed to go anywhere.

“Laney, how about we go for a drive?” Brian asked one day.  Sometimes they liked to drive through the country and pretend they were house hunting again.

 “Sure,” she replied grabbing her sunglasses purse and Brian cringed as she grabbed a book.  He hoped they could talk or play a one of the many games they would play on long drives.  She started those when they would be traveling on his tour bus.   When she brought books it usually meant she wanted to be left alone.  He sighed but joined her in the car and turned towards one of their favorite housing developments. 

The drive was a silent one, Brian concentrated on the road and tried to ignore the fact that Laney’s back was to him and she was reading her book.

 “Laney, our house is for sale,” he shouted to her and practically slammed on the brakes.  He jumped out of the car and grabbed one of the flyers.  He stood looking at the house.  The gated driveway was several feet long that ended in a loop in front of the garage.   The steps leading to the front door also lead to a deck that wrapped around the house, a gazebo type sitting area located in the corner of the deck and house. 

From the street the house appeared to be a typical two story house, but when you walked the deck to the back of the house you were several feet off the ground; a walk-out basement entrance was located below the deck.   The house was painted a pale blue with dark blue shutters; those were Laney’s favorite part. 

Brian heard gravel crunching next to him and felt Laney’s hand enter his. He turned and smiled at his wife, a broad grin on her face.  “What do you say we give them a call?”

Laney squeezed Brian’s hand.  “It would be so great if we could get this house,” She leaned into his shoulder and stood looking at the house. 

Brian pulled out his cell phone and called his realtor, he was afraid if he waited the house would be unavailable.  After making an appointment for a viewing the couple stood for only a few seconds more, it was becoming eerie standing and staring at someone else’s house.

When they got back in the car, Brian was excited to see Laney put her book under the seat and turn forwards, her eyes were focused on the brochure he’d pulled from the real estate sign for the house, but at least she wasn’t reading a book.   Her eyes lifted from the paper and started to stare off into the distance.

Afraid she was retreating inwards again, Brian spoke, “What are you thinking about?” he asked.

 “What if we see the inside of the house and our dreams of owning it come crashing down? We love the outside, but have only seen these few pictures of the inside.” She indicated the paper.

 Brian reached over and squeezed her hand.  “We will love the inside, I just know it.” He smiled as they turned towards home.

The day arrived for them to view the house and though Brian thought he hid it better, neither one could contain their excitement.  Their realtor showed them around the many rooms the house had to offer.  The kitchen had everything Laney swore she would have with her next home.  Brian was enthralled with the entertainment room in the basement.   The bedrooms were the right size; the floor plan was everything they hoped. 

When the realtor left them alone to discuss things Brian could see Laney’s apparent happiness on her face, he was sure his face was grinning just as much back.

“It’s perfect,” her grin broadening, if that was possible.

 “It is pretty great,” he agreed. 

“There is even enough room that you will have plenty of rooms to choose from when I kick you out of bed at night after you and the guys decide to smoke cigars.”  The glint in her eye told him she was teasing.  It was good to have her back from the depression.

“It was one time,” he defended himself.

“Let’s put an offer in,” She had hold of both his hands and jumped them up and down a bit, she was definitely excited.

Brian waved towards the realtor, the guy came bounding back. Brian was reminded of a dog excited at a chance to play ball with his master.   He spoke numbers with the guy and he pulled out the official offer paperwork.  Laney and Brian signed the paperwork and as they left, they both crossed their fingers as they drove home.

Brian watched as Laney started to sort through boxes that they had shoved in the basement for years.  He was happy she had something to keep her distracted from her recent diagnosis.  He hoped he would hear back soon about the house and he hoped it would be positive.

“Shit!” Laney cursed causing Brian’s head to shoot her direction.  He thought maybe she got a cardboard cut from one of the boxes.  Instead he saw her curled up in a ball clutching her side, her face red with pain. 

“Laney?” Brian rushed to her side, his face full of worry.  “What’s wrong baby?” He asked caressing her head. 

“I don’t know, but it hurts…” She gripped her side tighter. 

“Can you stand?” He asked her, worry apparent on his face though he tried to keep his face strong for Laney.

She nodded and he helped her up. Soon they were sitting in his car as he rushed to the emergency room.